PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP & Java?

flapsforty
27th Aug 2002, 08:06
The PC I use when at my home-away-from-home, has last week been spruced up by it's owner. He installed windows XP.
Browser is a newish IE, I think.

When I try to get onto pprune chat, I get a message about "The current version of XP not being able to download a Virtual Machine due to a court case". :confused:

I am totally stumped by the whole thing, have tried reading all the web pages microsoft links to with regard to this, but the end result is still no chat.
Anyone can help here?
(whole PC was reformatted and if I understand that concept correctly that means that there are no old bits of file that can cause this problem)
Many thanks in advance!

shack
27th Aug 2002, 08:46
Dear Flaps

You are not alone MS does not like java and I have found that it is impossible to download it, but I cannot get rid of the message that asks if I would like to download it. Thank you Mr. Gates!!

Just one of the joys of XP

pilot-lite
27th Aug 2002, 10:06
http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html

pilot-lite

MarkD
27th Aug 2002, 10:44
shack

you may need to be logged in as "Administrator" to install a Java VM - Windows 2000 certainly requires it.

Microsoft are blaming the legals for not being able to offer a JVM until Service Pack 1 [realsoonnow]

http://www.microsoft.com/java/xp.htm

flapsforty
27th Aug 2002, 18:00
Thank you Gentlemen!
Mr lite, just downloaded the JAva via your link. Great stuff, got the moving applet as proof that it was working too. :D

Restarted the PC and got as far as the log-in screen for chat, which is a step further than yesterday.
That's where it ended though.................... :o
I get "Applet Digichat Started" but nothing starts.

Can be that chat is belly up again, or perhaps some you learned folks on this forum have some more usefull tips for me??

So far, brilliant link, what would I do without the computer forum??
I hardly ever post here, but I'm an avid reader and have learnt a heck of a lot of very usefull stuff!

pilot-lite
27th Aug 2002, 18:24
It appears the problem lies with chat not with your PC. This is the java log-file you get trying to log in to chat....

DigiChat 3.5.0.624

ChatClient.login()

java.lang.Exception: HttpServlet address not specified

at com.diginet.digichat.client.i.a([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.client.h.a([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.client.r.run([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

at com.diginet.digichat.awt.ag.<init>([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.awt.ag.<init>([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.client.i.a([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.client.h.a([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.client.r.run([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo

at com.diginet.digichat.network.w.g([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.network.w.<init>([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.network.w.<init>([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

at com.diginet.digichat.common.a1.<clinit>([DashoPro-V1.3BETA-091199])

... 6 more

I appreciate you won't understand any of that, but it shows where the fault lies. Sorry I can't help more, but not a lot I can do about it!

I'll send a copy of this to the moderator, perhaps he can take a look at it.

pilot-lite

Mac the Knife
27th Aug 2002, 18:26
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63968

shack
28th Aug 2002, 08:30
Thanks Mark D, but it does not work as Administrator either, MS used to supply java for XP but stopped some months ago.
I was warned not to use the non-MS version that has been listed here............any one had problems with it...........or is MS just trying to stop it being used?

BlueEagle
28th Aug 2002, 10:40
I have downloaded and upgraded the Opera browser two or three times, (I am using XPpro), Opera comes with the Java option and so far it has downloaded and installed without any obvious problems.

That said I haven't tried it on Chat as I have never been able to find the way in!!!:(

AngleAndAttack
28th Aug 2002, 11:17
Blue,

Go to the PPRuNe Main Page, it should be a link at the bottom of any forum page that says : PPRuNe Home.

http://www.pprune.org/

Look at the menu on the left hand side and find Chat

Or click this:

http://www.pprune.org/chat/chat.htm

That should get you going.

;)

BlueEagle
28th Aug 2002, 23:49
Thanks AAA, I'll try that!.

777AV8R
30th Aug 2002, 12:47
Precisely what happened to me...I changed to XP..and DigiChat quit...but I'm not sure now if it was coincidental or not.

Java certainly wasn't installed and was required. I did get a copy of Java from Sun..Chat would load to the sign in page and that was it.
I've been using another machine with windows ME..and..it's not working either...so..there must be something wrong with DigiChat..

In short...I think DigiChat is more the problem than our software.

PPRuNe Towers
30th Aug 2002, 18:14
We're hoping to have a complete new build of digichat in the next 7 days or so. We've have also been trialling another java based chat system as part of our server. One way or another will will improve the service.

Rob

bagpuss lives
1st Sep 2002, 02:25
I would reccomend that until SP-1 comes out - anyone with XP gets the Ms Java engine which is still available from here http://www.krm.com/ms/msjavx86.exe

MS withdrew it beacuse of legal squabbles with Sun.

The web just aint the same without it :)

Oracle
1st Sep 2002, 06:47
Hi!

Frequent new-user/upgrade (XP) download problems and restrictions are often caused by your browser (IE5 or higher, normally) having it's security settings set at MEDIUM (or HIGH)which negates its ability to process/download JAVA or ACTIVEX scripting. The ms updates system works through this medium as do Mcafee and other download systems.
You can change your security setting through the IE TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>SECURITY>CUSTOM LEVEL tabs on the drop-down menus and subsequent selection tabs. Select ENABLE and LOW settings on all of the click items listed, then press RESET. Close IE and then reopen it. You should now be able to download Java/Activex restricted sites - including McAfee and Windows Update. This fix also applies to other Operating Systems [WIN98/SE/Millenium]. Often (due to over-anal security fixations) people set their security settings to HIGH or leave them on the default MEDIUM setting, which disables Java and ACTIVEX etc.
Try this adjustment and see how your download goes. You can reset to MEDIUM or HIGH security afterwards if you like!

Be advised that if you use DIRECTX for gaming or the like, you cannot uninstall it without screwing up your operating system [into which it imbeds itself]. The only answer then is to re-install your OS and start all over again!

One final tip - before trying to update old/download new Browsers (IE6/Netscape7) ensure you disable or uninstall your anti-virus software - or you will again completely screw up your Operating System and may have to re-install it from scratch or work for many hours trying to fix the mess you just (inadvertently) created!

Hope this helps.

Oracle :D