PDA

View Full Version : Study time needed for UK CAA PPL exams

undecidedwannabe
11th Aug 2022, 17:30
I signed up for a short trial programme which includes eight or so hours of ground theory and simulator time and ten hours of flying time. I just wanted to know what being in a cockpit feels like before I fully commit and apply for a cadetship or any flying school—just to make sure that I don't have terrible anxiety or airsickness

My ground theory instructor suggested that I try and take all nine PPL exams. Would it be realistically possible to self-study for and pass all the exams within the next two or so weeks?

rudestuff
12th Aug 2022, 02:53
If you use the whole two weeks and get the right study material then yes, just about. But obviously longer is better.

Uplinker
12th Aug 2022, 06:58
You must go and have a trial flight before signing-up. Is there a flying school or a GA airfield nearby? They should be able to fix you up.

A Cessna 152 for example is quite primitive. The cockpit is small, and you sit literally rubbing shoulders with the instructor. It is very hot (or cold), very noisy, cramped and basic. The construction of the doors etc, seems very flimsy and almost like a toy. Might put you off for life.....

A PA 28 is better and more like a "real" aeroplane, but still quite basic.

You must go for a trial lesson or an hour fun-flight to experience it for real before committing :ok:

Regarding the exams, I would say that 2 weeks from no knowledge to passing exams is not sensibly possible. You need time to read up and fully understand everything. The Trevor Thom PPL book series has six volumes, which will take longer than 2 weeks to fully read, learn and understand and assimilate everything properly, never mind practising all the mathematical processes and learning the knowledge. I would give it 6 months at the very least.

Anyone who claims it can be done ab initio in 2 weeks is, frankly, talking nonsense. They sound to me like they just want your money.

I would also caution against practising test questions just to pass the exams without really understanding anything. You really need to gain the deep knowledge to fly - especially as a PPL, where you might be solo or the only pilot on board. You don't want to get into danger because you don't really understand something.

rudestuff
12th Aug 2022, 14:11
I would also caution against practising test questions just to pass the exams without really understanding anything. You really need to gain the deep knowledge to fly...This describes almost every professional pilot I know..🤣