PDA

View Full Version : Linton on Ouse

N707ZS
10th Aug 2022, 13:33
Tried to find the original. It has been announced that Linton isn't going to be home to asylum seekers.

NutLoose
10th Aug 2022, 14:58
I wonder what that is?

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/professions/article/raf-base-linton-on-ouse-asylum-centre-on-hold-defence-secretary-withdraws-offer-home-office

He said the offer had been with the department "for a number of months".

“I have obligations to do something else with that site and there are other sites that have been made available to the Home Office if they wish to take it up.”

Get me some traffic
10th Aug 2022, 15:54
Could it be that their Airships have realised that EGXU may be needed for something else? With the failure of UKMFTS it may be needed for flying training??

Ken Scott
10th Aug 2022, 20:23
Unlikely. That would mean they’d have to admit to making a big mistake.

Bill Macgillivray
10th Aug 2022, 20:30
That would be a great idea, Gmst, but I fear that it will not be! Those days (rightly or wrongly) have gone and our Royal Air Force and its members have to abide by the whims, aspirations etc! of those in charge - both uniformed and civilian! Not always the best way to run a military force!
Happy days!!

Bill

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
12th Aug 2022, 12:02
Unlikely. That would mean they’d have to admit to making a big mistake.
Right now I wouldn't rule anything off the table. They have a way of putting spin on U-turns. "If" Linton were to be re-opened then Boris would be blamed for being too quick off the mark in the first place by sanctioning its closure or using the excuse of the changing face of global security as the reason.
In a nutshell, blame Boris or blame the war in Ukraine.

NutLoose
12th Aug 2022, 12:12
It's alright opening it, but after binning the earlier Hawk's etc, have we got sufficent aircraft to service the training needs.

Finningley Boy
12th Aug 2022, 13:32
It's alright opening it, but after binning the earlier Hawk's etc, have we got sufficient aircraft to service the training needs.
Apparently not, I can't remember the journal, but I was reading that the CAS is under pressure to do something as the number of available QFIs and QWIs is too low to meet the demand, such as it is. The reason is explained as a result of the operational tempo, the demands to have all deployed to the Baltic States and Romania etc.

FB

BEagle
12th Aug 2022, 17:27
Not enough military QFIs
Not enough training aerodromes
Not enought training aircraft

Zero surge potential....

Which is what we all told the airships would be the case if they pressed ahead with their crazy plans.........about 20 years ago!

It only surprises me that it has taken so long for the cack to hit the fan.

Top West 50
12th Aug 2022, 17:45
Not enough military QFIs
Not enough training aerodromes
Not enought training aircraft

Zero surge potential....

Which is what we all told the airships would be the case if they pressed ahead with their crazy plans.........about 20 years ago!

It only surprises me that it has taken so long for the cack to hit the fan.
it's the King's new suit of clothes, rather like the vfm case for the FSTA PFI.

NutLoose
12th Aug 2022, 18:32
So before you train more pilots, you are going to need to train more pilots to fill those QFI slots, to train more pilots, but you can’t train those pilots because you haven’t got the aircraft, nor the infrastructure in place, or indeed the QFI pilots to train those QFI pilots to train those pilots…

Hmmm…. I feel a headache coming on..

​​​​​….

Finningley Boy
13th Aug 2022, 18:19
I always thought 28 Hawk T2s to replace about 150 Hawk T1s, even post cold war was rather token in outlook.
.Ben Wallace: Defence secretary orders audit of military flying training as RAF leadership in 'tailspin' over leaks | UK News | Sky News (https://news.sky.com/story/ben-wallace-defence-secretary-orders-audit-of-military-flying-training-as-raf-leadership-in-tailspin-over-leaks-12670861)

FB

mopardave
13th Aug 2022, 20:12
Tried to find the original. It has been announced that Linton isn't going to be home to asylum seekers.
Like I said originally, what would have been so wrong with retaining it on a "care and maintenance" basis......oh I know, the bean counters and eager to please senior officers who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing won the day. Does CFS even exist anymore? How on earth do you train pilots if you haven't the infrastructure and manpower to support that? A technical question though......what is the problem with the Hawk T2 engines? As jet engines go, are these not fairly basic? Apologies Nutty....you've already mentioned lack of infrastructure etc.

NutLoose
15th Aug 2022, 14:34
Quarters are being sold off and are selling very well.

The semi-detached family homes are in a residential location and have rear gardens, private garages and driveway parking.

Karen Watson, Branch Manager at William H Brown, said: "Our office has been inundated with enquiries. These properties in Linton-on-Ouse have proven extremely desirable, thanks to their attractive rural setting, and the homes themselves tick the right boxes for pretty much every buyer."

The properties are priced from £245,000, and feature a living room, separate dining room, kitchen and WC downstairs, and three bedrooms and family bathroom upstairs.

Ex-MoD homes in village at heart of immigration row being 'snapped up by buyers' (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/homeandproperty/ex-mod-homes-in-village-at-heart-of-immigration-row-being-snapped-up-by-buyers/ar-AA10GkGZ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b23d0253ff164e61ac61d73bc80dc0a3)