PDA

View Full Version : Depression and Class 1

JustOneMoreQuestion.
8th Aug 2022, 09:40
Good morning,
Apologies, this has probably been done to death, but after some advice. I currently hold a class 2 and a PPL. I’ve always wanted to fly commercially, but over the last few years, have started to feel depressed. I can’t pinpoint any reason for this, and subsequently, my Mrs thinks I need to see a GP. I’m worried that a diagnosis and medication could prevent me from flying.
Am I being stupid?
Has anyone else been in this position, and could it affect my current medical?
Thanks in advance
JOMQ

Warlock1
8th Aug 2022, 15:03
After the Germanwings accident, most aviation doctors (that I know of) are threading this subject in so much more detail than before. And if you are taking medication, your medical may be subject to a temporary suspension.
Your best bet is to talk with your doctor.

redsnail
8th Aug 2022, 15:26
If loved ones have noticed a change in you, please take their concerns seriously and seek appropriate assistance. It's like any condition, the sooner the intervention, the better the result.
Depression does not automatically mean medication. Cognitive Behavioural Therapies (aka Talk therapies) do not require medication. Likewise exercise and activity therapies. Yes, the authorities do take low mood etc a lot more seriously but they are also mindful that a person who is being treated successfully is much less of a risk than someone who could be hiding it.

Good luck.