PDA

View Full Version : Haircut tax relief

Hoots
6th Aug 2022, 13:59
As military personnel have to have their hair groomed iaw QR’s which means groomed more regularly than a civilian, has the question ever been asked if we can claim back the VAT.

Mogwi
6th Aug 2022, 14:19
Two chances mate!

langleybaston
6th Aug 2022, 15:55
I thought it was two hopes: Bob and none.

Slow Biker
6th Aug 2022, 16:05

And Bob’s out of town.

Timelord
6th Aug 2022, 16:48
Claim that you are being discriminated against for some reason.

Mogwi
6th Aug 2022, 17:15

Slim and eff all.

mog

DuncanDoenitz
6th Aug 2022, 18:06
Based on the information you have supplied, I think you definitely have a prima facie case. In fact residents of [[i]insert town] are going viral for this service, and you could be owed ££££s.

If you would like to send your details and bank account number to info@doenitzgraabbitandscarper, my team can be on your case as soon as the banks open.

Ninthace
6th Aug 2022, 18:12
I did ask HMRC about this issue. I did not catch their first word, but the second was Oscar.

Haraka
6th Aug 2022, 18:15
I always remember a fellow Flight Cadet having his first Cranwell haircut.;
"Can I keep my side boards?"
" Certainly Sir!''
Zip! Zip !
" Here they are !"

BEagle
6th Aug 2022, 19:18
At the hands, or rather the clippers, of 'Slasher' no doubt, eh Haraka?

After my year on 99, I didn't get a haircut for at least another 4 months as an APO!

biddedout
6th Aug 2022, 19:22
If the Sergeant Majors, Station Warrant Officers and whatever the Navy has actually did their job for once and marched our scruffy dishevelled PM off to the base barbers next time he popped in for a Typhoon / Tank driving photo-shoot experience, the precedent wold be set, haircuts would be 100% claimable on expenses.

Thud_and_Blunder
6th Aug 2022, 21:21
It used to be 4 'opes: Envelope, Antelope, Bob 'ope and No...

Arthur1815
6th Aug 2022, 22:39
Memory fades, but I’m sure this was clarified sometime in the 90’s, not long after self-assessment guidelines seemed to indicate that it would be reasonable to claim certain costs, including haircuts. An unofficial ‘mates’ memo did the rounds so I suspect there were enough claims being submitted to trigger the Taxman into action. If I recall there was MOD vs Treasury clarification issued, effectively telling us to stop taking the piss.

I remember claiming a monthly haircut and also dining-in nights which were promulgated as parades. It seemed fair enough the way the guidance notes were written and I was not the only one who claimed the tax relief.

My thought process was that if the Taxman insisted on sending a form to complete then why not claim iaw the guidance notes.

It worked the first year. By coincidence (maybe) I then had a very ‘aggressive’ random audit/investigation into my very modest income from rental property, including 100% check of receipts for all claimed expenses. Thankfully I had kept everything but they sure looked hard. Without doubt, if I had falsely declared anything they would have had me. It was rather an unpleasant process, the tone being an assumption of guilt unless you could provide all the original receipts.

I took the hint.

The Oberon
7th Aug 2022, 04:33
I once tried to claim Sgt's. Mess fees based on the premise that in civvy street union fees were deductible, no joy with that one either.

Krystal n chips
7th Aug 2022, 09:34
As military personnel have to have their hair groomed iaw QR’s which means groomed more regularly than a civilian, has the question ever been asked if we can claim back the VAT.

I'm pleased to say my expenditure on haircuts would have never warranted any claim back...

Lima Juliet
7th Aug 2022, 10:01
I’d be surprised if most barbers/hairdressers charged VAT anyway. They would need to exceed the £85,000 threshold to be required to register. Also, many are self-employed and rent a chair from the establishment they work in, which keeps their tax liabilities too.

So, unless you’re going to Nicky Clarke’s salon, then I suspect there is nothing to claim back!

switch_on_lofty
7th Aug 2022, 10:57
Try getting a receipt off a cash hairdresser!

Tartiflette Fan
7th Aug 2022, 11:48
I recall an article on a barrister who tried to claim for black court clothing (not wig or gown ) and was turned down on the basis that it could be used "personally". The rejoinder that she wouldn't wear black clothing personally, cut no ice.In this case, you would certainly be availing yourselves of your haircuts in your personal lives :}

Bob Viking
7th Aug 2022, 12:30
Just to be serious for a moment. I’m all for claiming back every penny but can we do some simple maths for a second?

Let’s say a barber cut costs £10 (I realise this may not be taking inflation into account but it won’t be far off). Let’s also say that a good military man gets his haircut monthly. How often would a civilian visit the barber? Bi-monthly perhaps (I bet on average it could be claimed that civilians visit the barber as often as military men and probably visit more expensive barbers as well)? How much tax are you able to claim back from that £10 cut? Even if you were able to prove it I suspect we’re talking pennies over a year. In fact my time typing this message is worth more than you will manage to reclaim so I will stop typ…

trim it out
7th Aug 2022, 12:43
Just to be serious for a moment. I’m all for claiming back every penny but can we do some simple maths for a second?

Let’s say a barber cut costs £10 (I realise this may not be taking inflation into account but it won’t be far off). Let’s also say that a good military man gets his haircut monthly. How often would a civilian visit the barber? Bi-monthly perhaps (I bet on average it could be claimed that civilians visit the barber as often as military men and probably visit more expensive barbers as well)? How much tax are you able to claim back from that £10 cut? Even if you were able to prove it I suspect we’re talking pennies over a year. In fact my time typing this message is worth more than you will manage to reclaim so I will stop typ…
Definitely not worth navigating the torture device that is JPA and the inevitable audit months in the future

OvertHawk
7th Aug 2022, 12:55
I’d be surprised if most barbers/hairdressers charged VAT anyway. They would need to exceed the £85,000 threshold to be required to register. Also, many are self-employed and rent a chair from the establishment they work in, which keeps their tax liabilities too.

So, unless you’re going to Nicky Clarke’s salon, then I suspect there is nothing to claim back!

When claiming tax relief on an expense - you're not claiming the VAT back.

You're claiming relief against your income tax for the amount that you pay.

So to use the example in question (legitimate or otherwise) - A ten pound haircut for a 40% taxpayer would mean a reduction in your taxable income by £10 resulting in you paying £4 less tax.

VAT has nothing to do with it (Unless you're VAT registered).

huge72
8th Aug 2022, 10:59
Those out there who know me will remember I was always a bit of a rebel where my hair was concerned. After all serving over the water and having your head in a helmet most of the time, nobody noticed. I do however remember that the SWO at Aldergrove in the 80's, came up with the ploy that as we were on active duty, haircuts should be free! The NAAFI Barber was not pleased1 In retirement I guess I'm still the same as I get it cut every 3/4 months whether I need it or not!

EngAl
8th Aug 2022, 18:49
Oberon
Check your PMs please

langleybaston
8th Aug 2022, 19:48
Those out there who know me will remember I was always a bit of a rebel where my hair was concerned. After all serving over the water and having your head in a helmet most of the time, nobody noticed. I do however remember that the SWO at Aldergrove in the 80's, came up with the ploy that as we were on active duty, haircuts should be free! The NAAFI Barber was not pleased1 In retirement I guess I'm still the same as I get it cut every 3/4 months whether I need it or not!#

In case it may have affected my weather-guessing, herewith my tonsorial arrangements.
Never paid for a haircut since marrying 62 years ago, except during prolonged duty detachments.
As for when and how often, the arrangement is simple: SWMBO goes for a cut/styling, etc, pays too much and then my thinks bubble suggests that I need the scissors and pudding bowl and a sheet round my neck in the kitchen.
These days there is not a lot of hair for me to sweep up.

Wensleydale
8th Aug 2022, 21:27
Could you claim that it is a fringe benefit?