PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Please - Universities and Flying Training

Piper Warrior Pilot
27th Aug 2002, 00:01
OK, where do i start. I have recently recieved my GCSE results and happily passed all of them. I am going off to college in just over 1 week and this time next year i will be applying to universities.

What i would like to know is, are there university degrees for undergraduates which include flying training up to ATPL standard or whatever.

I am broadening my horizons and am willing to travel the world to go to a university like this.

If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

FRIDAY
27th Aug 2002, 00:17
YES indeeeeed, I believe London city Guildhall run a course where you graduate with a atpl and degree, BUT you cough up £50000 for the priviledge.
If you want to go stateside the likes of EMMRY RIDDLE offer courses when on graduation you receive a degree and FAA atp.
Not a bad way to go if you have the cash and don't mind conversion hassle when you return home. If you can finance it and take a course that lasts 4yrs in the states you could return with a degree and a significant number of hrs, If the course will take four years for example the college will have no problem extending your M1 visa for this period, but you will get no cash paid to you as instructor due to M1 restrictions, so if you loaded the worlds your oyster. Just do a search under FAR 141 and aviation degree courses in the states and see what you get, alot of the big FTO's run courses like these and then there is the pure aeronautical colleges that offer flying aswell (EMRRY RIDDLE).

Ozflyer
27th Aug 2002, 04:26
Try looking at some of the Uni's in Australia - Griffith University in Brisbane for example, at their School of Aviation, Nathan Campus. They have three aviation degrees available with ATPL. One of their flight training providers is Arena Aviation at Archerfield, a highly respected school. Not sure of their website addresses but a search will find them.

Piper Warrior Pilot
27th Aug 2002, 07:57
Ive just taken a look at the Griffith University School Of Aviation website and from what i see you can get a Bachelor of Aviation degree with CPL and ATPL for 30,000-35,000 australian dollars.

They state that the entry requirements are that students have sufficent knowledge of Maths, Biology or Maths and English.

Do students also need a PPL to begin the course?

Groundloop
27th Aug 2002, 09:22
"I am broadening my horizons and am willing to travel the world to go to a university like this." - Just beware that you will end up with a non-JAA licence which you would need to convert to work in Europe.

"I believe London city Guildhall run a course where you graduate with a atpl and degree". City University, London and London Guildhall University are two completely separate institutions offering completely different degrees. City's is an Honours course including a full frozen ATPL. Guildhall's course is a Foundation degree including, I believe, a CPL without IR.

scroggs
27th Aug 2002, 15:39
Whoa! This thread is running under two different titles. PWP, take a smack on the wrist! This one is now closed.....