PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Local caution/alert/warning on Airbus A320

Maverick2167
30th Jul 2022, 17:29
Hello,
Could someone give the definition of "Local Caution/warning/Alert" mentioned on the Airbus A320 FCOM/QRH. Like the QRH OPS data for required equipment for CAT2/3 under the notes states- "When an ECAM or Local caution occurs, the crew should use the list to confirm landing capability"

FlightDetent
30th Jul 2022, 18:30
Perhaps you'd be able to find the definition of a Local Caution in FCOM EIS chapter. I think it is the individual buttons lighting up with 'FAULT' on them or similar.

Not all systems announce their issues through ECAM, some in the direct field of vision are still yours to pick up.

A nice example specific to your case - imagine the captain's ND going black with an amber message INVALID DISPLAY UNIT.

(ref. QRH 17.01A "Display Unit Failure")

Sergei.a320
31st Jul 2022, 09:25
Perhaps you'd be able to find the definition of a Local Caution in FCOM EIS chapter. I think it is the individual buttons lighting up with 'FAULT' on them or similar. Not all systems announce their issues through ECAM, some in the direct field of vision are still yours to pick up.

A nice example specific to your case - imagine the captain's ND going black with an amber message INVALID DISPLAY UNIT.

(ref. QRH 17.01A "Display Unit Failure")
It seems that you are correct. Another example of failure that is not followed by Caution/warn. is ISIS.. in my company couple of TREs like to input ISIS flags diring CAT2/3 APPCH...

Maverick2167
8th Aug 2022, 20:16
Thank you for the reply. However, I couldn't find any definite description of it on the FCOM/FCTM . Is it available in the older version of the FCOM/FCTM?

FlightDetent
9th Aug 2022, 04:08
The old pdfs are not text searchable.

Hope you don't mind me asking without prejudice, what is the difference for you if it's found or not?

The QRH quote from the first post is clear: 'When something pops up on the ECAM or elsewhere'.

The alerts/cautions/advisories on the Centralized Monitor go hand in hand with fault indications on the SD of the affected systems and /or warning lights scattered around the property.

Local caution is the FAULT on the cockpit door console, centre panel (without ECAM alert), local caution is the red FIRE lt below ENG master sw (with or without ECAM depending on the AC buses supplied).

What deeper knowledge or reinforcement are you looking for?
​​​

Maverick2167
11th Aug 2022, 08:04
I understood what constitutes a local caution/warning. However, I was looking for a detailed explanation or description in the documents. Like those for example - "Primary failure" the FCOM (DSC 31-15) states " primary failure is displayed as Box title"

CrazyStuntPilot
11th Aug 2022, 21:56
A local alert is typically the caption light in the pushbutton associated with an ECAM alert. For example, the HOT light in the BRAKE FANS pb is associated with the BRAKES HOT ECAM caution. Another example is the amber message "CHECK" on the upper ECAM display with an ENG 1(2) N1 OR N2 OR EGT OR FF DISCREPANCY ECAM alert. Not every ECAM alert is associated with a local caution/warning. This is part of the "Cockpit Effect" seen by the flight crew and usually reported in the aircraft logbook: an ECAM warning, a local warning, a flag, or any invalid function such as a missing audio signal, amber crosses on a system page, etc. Regarding the QRH table "REQUIRED EQUIPMENT FOR CAT2 AND CAT3", I think that an "ATT" flag constitutes a relevant local warning.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1408x820/untitled_7808ed6366a1afff24fc61ba07fe6d876b38fc05.png

Maverick2167
5th Oct 2022, 06:14
Thank you all for the posts,