PDA

View Full Version : Do the CPL, or not?

sposner
28th Jul 2022, 19:33
I have an unusual quandary.
I completed my ATPLs last month (UK CAA).
I have PPL (obviously), Night Rating, IR(R).
I will be turning 52 in October.
I am too old for airlines, not interested anyway.
I am interested in being an instructor. This was the main reason I did the ATPLs. So that I could instruct to PPL level and beyond.
However, a couple of instructors are encouraging me to do the CPL for a few reasons. Firstly because I already have all the requirements and I've done the night rating, IRR, and so I'm basically half way there, so might as well do it. Secondly, because it could open up opportunities that require a CPL, for example aerial photography, instrument calibration, ferrying, or even corporate flying, etc....for which a CPL would be required.
My question is, how realistic is it for me at this stage to use the CPL in some form of commercial capacity? I don't want do the CPL just for the sake of doing it and keep renewing it for nothing if I am not going to do anything with it. It is time and money wasted if that's the case.
And secondly, if I do do it, then in what order should I do things? CPL first then FIC, or FIC first and then CPL?

Any view and opinion welcome. Thanks
Simon

Beethoven
31st Jul 2022, 08:19
I am in EXACTLY the same position as you. Same age too. However I did make the decision to do the CPL , which I'm a few hours away from completing and I'm just about to start my FI course. My reason for doing CPL is that, after I've instructed at PPL level for a certain number of hours I'll be able to teach for the CPL which is generally a higher pay rate and an FI with CPL is also advantageous for teaching at integrated places. The other reason is that I found the ATPL written so darn difficult that I want every privilege they allow!!

Despite what some may say, there is career progression in the FI world if you want if and plan for it.

Do the CPL is my advice. Order is up to you, I appear to be doing both concurrently for various weird reasons. I don't know how many hours you've got but If you do the FI course BEFORE CPL ensure you look at the pre requisites for doing it on a PPL. This is irrelevant if you do it after CPL.

Good luck!

Beet.

Contact Approach
31st Jul 2022, 09:24
You don’t renew a CPL, only the medical, of which you can fall back on the class 2 for instructing anyways.

rudestuff
31st Jul 2022, 09:43
Do the CPL. The only thing you need to renew is the ratings you hold on your license - exactly the same ratings you would hold on a PPL
Plus a CPL can become an instructor with fewer hours than a PPL.

sposner
31st Jul 2022, 10:26
I am in EXACTLY the same position as you. Same age too. However I did make the decision to do the CPL , which I'm a few hours away from completing and I'm just about to start my FI course. My reason for doing CPL is that, after I've instructed at PPL level for a certain number of hours I'll be able to teach for the CPL which is generally a higher pay rate and an FI with CPL is also advantageous for teaching at integrated places. The other reason is that I found the ATPL written so darn difficult that I want every privilege they allow!!

Despite what some may say, there is career progression in the FI world if you want if and plan for it.

Do the CPL is my advice. Order is up to you, I appear to be doing both concurrently for various weird reasons. I don't know how many hours you've got but If you do the FI course BEFORE CPL ensure you look at the pre requisites for doing it on a PPL. This is irrelevant if you do it after CPL.

Good luck!

Beet.
Thanks. This was very helpful. After changing my mind and resigning to only doing the FIC. I am now thinking again of doing the CPL.
As someone in exactly the same situation as you say, and the same age, I would be keen to understand from you how difficult or challenging it is, where you are doing it, what to look out for and general hints and tips.
Would it be ok to take this off line and have a chat on the phone? I would really appreciate it as I'm getting all kinds of mixed messages and I'm toing and froing and time is ticking.

redsnail
31st Jul 2022, 10:39
May as well. It'll open up some instructing opportunities and maybe more, who knows?
The discipline of the CPL training will make you a better pilot, and that's no bad thing.

Beethoven
31st Jul 2022, 13:57
Thanks. This was very helpful. After changing my mind and resigning to only doing the FIC. I am now thinking again of doing the CPL.
As someone in exactly the same situation as you say, and the same age, I would be keen to understand from you how difficult or challenging it is, where you are doing it, what to look out for and general hints and tips.
Would it be ok to take this off line and have a chat on the phone? I would really appreciate it as I'm getting all kinds of mixed messages and I'm toing and froing and time is ticking.

No problem, DM me how to contact you. Just to add, why not become an FI on the back of your PPL if you have enough hours and the other pre-requisites then you can do you CPL slow-time whilst actually WORKING as an FI teaching PPL. I'll be completing my CPL final few hours nice and relaxed while working working as a paid FI.

paco
31st Jul 2022, 18:15
I'm a great believer in doing paperwork if there's not much extra effort involved. Having done what seems to be most of it, do the proper exams - by which I mean through a school rather than singly and off your own bat as you can do if you are just instructing. I would just do the CPL ones though.

sposner
1st Aug 2022, 13:12
Not sure I understand your reply.
I have already done the ATPL written exams. It's now just a matter of doing the CPL rating, or not.
I don't think you can do it on your own, so I wasn't planning to. There is a flight centre close to where I live so think I will do the course there.

Beethoven
2nd Aug 2022, 05:57
I think Paco is referring to the written CPL exams rather than the practical CPL course. You no longer need to do these through a training organisation if all you wish to do is use them to become a flying instructor. You can self-study them and sit the exams, HOWEVER no matter how well you do, you wouldn't be able to use those passes to go on a CPL practical flying course, they would only ever be able to get you on the FI course. To go on a CPL flying course requires that the exact same written exams were done through a training organisation with an element of compulsory ground school. Obviously by "written" I mean "sat at a computer"!!

paco
2nd Aug 2022, 06:06
Yeah, you got it - that's what I meant...