PDA

View Full Version : MoD wants to hide the C-130 force's light under the nearest bushel....

Jackonicko
21st Jul 2022, 21:00
Some of you may be wondering what has happened to 'Hercules Boys'. After waiting six months for MoD RAF Media to make a decision, they have refused to permit access to those serving personnel who wished to contribute, citing a lack of "likely PR benefit to the service via a niche publisher". Having discussed this with Grub Street, we are minded to continue with the book with contributions from retired personnel. Recognising that this will not tell the whole story, the book will explain the reasons as stated above. Publication is currently aimed for spring 2024.

Steve Bond is the author of a series of positive, helpful RAF-related books, including:

Meteor Boys: True Tales from the Operator's of Britain's First Jet Fighter - From 1944 to Date

Javelin Boys: Air Defence from the Cold War to Confrontation

Shackleton Boys: Volume 1 - True Stories from the Home-Based ‘Kipper Fleet’ Squadrons

Shackleton Boys Volume 2: True Stories from Shackleton Operators Based Overseas

Fleet Air Arm Boys: Air Defence Fighter Aircraft Since 1945: True Tales from Royal Navy Aircrew, Maintainers and Handlers

Fleet Air Arm Boys: Volume Two: Strike, Anti-Submarine, Early Warning and Support Aircraft since 1945. True Tales from Royal Navy Men and Women Air and Ground Crew

Special Ops Liberators: 223 (Bomber Support) Squadron, 100 Group, and the Electronic War

Heroes All: Airmen of Different Nationalities Tell Their Stories of Service in the Second World War

Ewan Whosearmy
22nd Jul 2022, 08:14
How many copies are they expecting to sell?

treadigraph
22nd Jul 2022, 08:30
Is it going to cost MoD RAF Media anything for serving personnel to contribute?

NutLoose
22nd Jul 2022, 09:36
They probably do not want serving members regailing what a fantastic bit of kit it is, doing stuff the A400 cannot accomplish, and that it is reliable and dependable.
It makes it harder to bin them when the press could quote current air and groundcrews thinking on the subject.

SLXOwft
22nd Jul 2022, 17:09
Given Steve's Fleet Air Arm Boys: Vol 3 (https://grubstreet.co.uk/product/fleet-air-arm-boys-volume-three/) is available for pre-order and focuses on Wildcat and Merlin I was going to post asking him if the RN has, as I assume, been more forthcoming in access to serving women and men. The thread title was exactly what I thought when Steve posted his update on his Hercules Boys thread. I even briefly considered emailing Capt. RBL Wallace SG (Rtd) on the subject (but sobered up).

OvertHawk
22nd Jul 2022, 17:50
Best thing they could do to publicise the new book is to refuse to cooperate with it!