PDA

View Full Version : PPL to Frozen ATPL modular route help pls

Multi Phil
21st Jan 2001, 20:48
Dear All,

I hold a PPL with 100hrs all completed in the UK. I'am now looking to start a modular course at Oxford but I need 150hrs before start. I'am thinking of going to 43rd Air School SA to complete the additional hrs. Can anyone advise of the best way and best schools to increase hrs to 150?

Also if anyone has any good advise on best modular courses and best ground schools?

Thanks

Phil

Pilot Pete
22nd Jan 2001, 00:08
Check the hourly rates for hire in the US (look in pilot etc)for telephone numbers. As you only need 50hrs it may not be the cheapest option as you will have to factor in the airfare to get there, rental accommodation etc etc. I did 100hrs in 4 weeks in Florida back in 1997 with Naples Air Center which worked out as good value. Do be careful as some of the cheapest rates are cheap for a reason......sometimes the maintenence is not all you would want it to be. I could certainly recommend NAC but it was 3 years ago. You should be able to do 50 hours in 2 weeks quite comfortably in somewhere like Florida.

Check the prices and availability over here and bear in mind the weather factor. If it is a local field you can ofset some of the cost against your savings on accommodation and air fare etc. Always look at places where you have relatives who may let you stay free of charge! I did that for the instructor rating!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

PP

Beergoggles
22nd Jan 2001, 19:02
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I' m sure you only need 100 TT to start study for the theory side of a CPL/ATPL. In which case you already have the minimum requirements to start at Oxford. You need the 150 TT to start the practical side of the licences ie, CPL skills (test), training. With the JAR route being the only available to you now, the theory for ATPL takes 26 weeks intensive at Oxford. My point being that although the hours building trip to the USA before starting your Commercial study is a good cheap way of getting the hours necesary, you will then have 6 months study with very little flying currency before jumping back in the cockpit to take the CPL skills training/test. Maybe you can phone Oxford to confirm this, but I certainly recommend keeping current whilst studying for your theory.

Token Bird
22nd Jan 2001, 19:21
You're all wrong. You need a grand total of 0, yes 0, hours to start studying for the ATPL theory.

However, you need 150 hours to start the CPL flying training, and I believe you must complete the CPL/IR training within 12 months of doing your ATPL exams, hence it would perhaps be daft to start the ATPL study with 0 hours as you may have trouble fitting in the required hours before your ATPL passes expire.

Token Bird :)

aztec25
22nd Jan 2001, 21:29
I think you'll find you need 100 hours P1 before you can get the licence!
Anyone disagree?

Delta Wun-Wun
22nd Jan 2001, 23:31
You need a total of 150hrs of which 95 must be P1.On passing your last ATPL exam you have 36 months in which to obtain a CPL and IR.If you go hours building do something useful with like practice for your CPL skill test rather than aimlessly chugging around the sky....Good Luck.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Beergoggles
23rd Jan 2001, 00:37
I stand corrected Token Bird if the 100 hrs TT is not a minima for the JAR FCL. I'm 100% sure that when I applied 5 months ago to start an OATS ATPL correspondence course, they demanded 100 hrs TT prior to start. Perhaps this is just a prerequisite for OATS but baring in mind that Oxford is where Multi Phil is planning on studying, I thought it might be of some help.

watford
23rd Jan 2001, 02:27
It all depends upon which theoretical knowledge exams you are going to take.

Whilst there are no minimum hours for entry to the CPL(A)theoretical knowledge course (if you can find one), a pre-requisite for entry into the ATPL(A) modular theoretical knowledge course is to be the holder of a PPL(A) (App 1 to JAR-FCL 1.285, para 2), you would be pushed to do that in 0 hours. Schools may have a higher minimum hours requirement for commencing the course, as a device for weeding out the time-wasters, if so this will be detailed in their approved Training Manual.

The theoretical knowledge examinations remain valid for the issue of a CPL(A) or IR(A) for a period of 36 months from the date of passing the last examination (see the latest CAA policy statement on the FCL website). Provided that an IR(A) is issued within this period, the examinations remain valid for the issue of an ATPL(A) for a period of 7 years after the last validity date of the instrument rating. (Keep the IR current and the exams stay current).

The requirement to have completed 150 hours flight time as a pilot before entry to the CPL(A) modular course is correct. (App 1 to JAR-FCL 1.160 & 1.165(a)(4), para 2(b).

The experience requirement for issue of a CPL(A) is 150 hours flight time for the graduate of an integrated course (JAR-FCL 1.155(a)(1)), 200 hours flight time for the graduate of a modular course. (JAR-FCL 1.155(b)(1)). The PIC requirement is 70 hours for a graduate of an integrated course or 100 hours for a modular course (JAR-FCL 1.155(c)(1))