PDA

View Full Version : Unusual health problem in the cruise

PAXboy
18th Jul 2022, 12:16
My sister has asked this question of a friend of hers who is (I think) in her 60s. I have never heard of this before.
Three times during international flights Ann has experienced light headedness and, on 2 occasions, vomiting. It starts when the cabin settles down for the night and she thinks the air pressure and temperature are altered ‘for the night’. On the flight from the USA [East Coast] to London on their return, Ann very nearly fainted and was put on oxygen for the entire time. She started vomiting and it continued throughout the flight and their day in London. Two other people on the plane fainted and had to also receive oxygen.

For Ann this was the first time the symptoms carried on after landing. It took her some days to fully recover.
At this stage, I do not know which carrier or aircraft but have asked. Has anyone heard of this before?

DaveReidUK
18th Jul 2022, 12:36
If a person is prone to breathing difficulties, it would be reasonable to expect those to be more apparent during longhaul flights.

I've never heard of intentional changes to cabin pressure during a flight, but it's not unknown for the temperature to be altered by a few degrees after the meal to induce the pax to fall asleep and not cause trouble. :O

Expatrick
18th Jul 2022, 12:41
Not sure if this is relevant but many years ago I was prone to lightheadedness (& the occasional brief faint) while flying - no vomiting though. Problem no longer manifests itself, always wondered if it was a side effect of cabin pressure levels.

magyarflyer
18th Jul 2022, 12:50
commercial jets usually fly at 34 plus or minus thousand feet cabin altitude is about 8,000 feet so your sister may have COPD or lung issues
in USA is like moving to Taos at 7,500 feet atlitude, when I travel there from sea level I get altitude sickness for a couple of days
there are meds that she can take to diminish the effect of altitude. Diamox is one of them.

Mr Mac
18th Jul 2022, 19:34
Magyarflyer
We have a member of staff who suffers in the same way. We base him on European projects which seem to not cause an issue on short haul. He is not pulling the wool as girlfriend lives in DXB and he suffers going out to see her.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

redsnail
18th Jul 2022, 20:41
I don't fly airline aircraft but to change cabin pressure manually is tricky. It can be done, but it's a nuisance for the crew. Some aircraft have a lower cabin altitude. That's the way bizjets are going these days. As the above have said, expect a cabin altitude of about 7 to 8,000'.
Yes, the cabin temps can be altered but I'll be honest, it's not worth the risk of complaints if the temp is altered too much.

As for the above health issues? I am certain they happened. Are there any underlying anxiety issues? Often they manifest themselves in physical form.

DaveReidUK
18th Jul 2022, 21:19
Some aircraft have a lower cabin altitude. That's the way bizjets are going these days. As the above have said, expect a cabin altitude of about 7 to 8,000'.

The 787 has a higher max diff, which can typically produce a cabin altitude of 6,000 feet. I think the A350 may be similar.

wiggy
19th Jul 2022, 06:07
PAXboy

I'm not in a position to do a practical check anymore but I would have though 6k-7k for cabin altitude is much more typical than 8k.

Whilst cabin altitude does vary a little in the cruise it's mainly a function of cruise altitude and in any event the crew wouldn't be altering cabin pressure in the course of normal operations.

Crew adjusting cabin zone temps ? Possible, used to happen occasionally but it wasn't widespread.

redsnail
19th Jul 2022, 09:01
Our latest Challenger has a cab alt of about 4-5000'. :)

Blues&twos
19th Jul 2022, 19:18
Possibly hypoxemia. Could be caused by a number of different medical conditions such as lung or heart disease. I'm guessing hypoxemia during long haul flights could also be caused by anaemia (low red blood cell count, these transport oxygen round the body to where it's needed), which itself has a number of different causes.
I'd speak to the doc.

PAXboy
20th Jul 2022, 20:50
Many thanks folks. The pax in question lives in the Johannesburg area. I asked my sister to check with her friend and some of the feedback was:
Not sure of the very first occurence, it could have been in 2018 when we went to Australia with Emirates or it could have been on BA to Boston. That time the air was very low and 2 people actually fainted and were given oxygen. I did not actually faint but the blood drained from my face leaving me white and feeling faint. I could not have stood up. I also start vomiting. I was given oxygen and felt better within half an hour or less. I probably had a [brand name of a paracetemol and codeine, over the counter tablet] and a glass or two of wine with dinner (my doctor has since told me that [name] is not a good drug to take.) The cabin crew admitted that the air had been turned down very low. They turned it up and no more passengers had fainting problems. I thought no more about it.About a year ago I was diagnose with Type 2 diabetes and I did wonder if this was a contributing factor. The second time was on 19th April 2022 when we flew Quatar airways QR1364 to Doha and then on to Dallas QR 731. I think it must have been the first leg. Each incident has been at night and after a glass of wine and probably a [tablet] as, by the time I get onto the plane I have a splitting headache. Again I was given oxygen and the air was turned up and the faintness and vomiting have passed quite quickly.

We flew back to JHB from Boston (AA 108 ) on the night of 7th July 2022 and the faintness and vomiting happened again and I was given oxygen and the stewardess said they were turning up the air but this time I did not feel that the air in the cabin was low. This time I was still feeling slightly squeamish when we landed in London. I did not have an incident on the flight from London to Jhb. but I sat very still and had no wine. All flights were at night.

On arriving home my doctor had no explanation for the problem and declared me fit and healthy. I hope this all makes some sort of sense and again thank you for your interest.
The CC did take the pax name and details and took that to the FD, hopefully to be put in the log?
The pax does not detail what they mean the 'air was low' for, as we know it is only the temperature than can be altered.

magyarflyer
20th Jul 2022, 21:26
Easiest way to check is to buy a pulse oxymeterr they are 30-35 bucks and you can immediately tell what the issue is.
a bientot

Una Due Tfc
20th Jul 2022, 21:40
Mixing alcohol with opiates can slow breathing and lower blood pressure so that’s unlikely to be helping.

BFM
20th Jul 2022, 22:13
I'm afraid I would go with alcohol at altitude too. They don't mix and in the vulnerable the effects of the alcohol are enhanced somewhat markedly by mild hypoxia.

redsnail
21st Jul 2022, 09:13
We used to be able to alter the flow rate in the Hawker, Challenger is a fixed rate. I have no idea about airliners. I'll need those folks to chime in.
If the air is warm it can feel "low" as in, not much there.

Smudge's Lot
21st Jul 2022, 13:55
I fly the 787, there is no night setting on any of the aircraft I have flown, including the 757/767 and the air pressurisation system is fully automatic.
In the cruise, once the cabin has settled at it's max press diff, then it will not vary at all, even with further climbs. It will only change when descent starts. (or a cabin depressurisation!)

However as been alluded to above, the 757/767 had a cabin altitude of approx 7500" but the 787 does indeed do 6000"

All that we can do is alter the temperature of the air conditioning but again, there is no "night setting".
On the 787, we can set a temperature, but the Cabin Crew can alter it themselves by +/- 2 degrees C

PAXboy
21st Jul 2022, 17:25
Many thanks to all, especially to crew for their direct input. I shall feed back to my sister and her friend. I think the pax is early 70s and a very moderate drinker. It is a curious reaction she has and I now wonder if there was any kind of minor 'shimmy' in the fuselage.

As I recall, when the 340-600 first started the rear economy cabin was subject to a subtle movement that could hardly be detected - but upset a lot of pax 'middle ears'. I certainly recall in a 346 when I was in PE, looking out along the wing in the night and the craft was clearly 'wallowing'. The wing was rising and falling distinct against the background, although I coud not feel it as I was on the pivot point and the actual movement at my seat was very small.

But she is experiencing this on multiple carriers and craft.

Asturias56
19th Jul 2023, 07:16
Diabetes can also cause all sorts of fainting/weakness occurrences especially when you're traveling and out of your normal eating/drinking/sleeping routine