PDA

View Full Version : Help Finding someone connected to Tex Johnson

m303803
16th Jul 2022, 01:19
An email below was sent to Qantas corporate. They suggested I try this forum to see if anyone may be able to make a connection. Please see below:

Greetings,
I have perhaps a unique request. I purchased a used copy of a book "Tex Johnson: Jet Age Test Pilot" at a local museum. To my delight, I found it was autographed by the author, Tex Johnson. It read "To David - a friend from Qantas down under, best wishes Tex Johnson 8-18-91". I am sure after all this time finding the right David from Qantas would be a challenge, but I feel almost duty bound to try and see if I can pin point this David person from your company and get this piece of history to his family. I imagine David has past away or is at least quite advanced in age. I was thinking his family might like a momento like this coming from such an aviation pioneer.

Having worked at Pratt & Whitney for over 20 years I know how meaningful these types of things are to family.

Warm Regards from Suffield Connecticut, USA.

Gne
16th Jul 2022, 02:52
Long Shot, but could it be David Massey Greene?

DMG had an interest in test and evaluation and spent a lot of time (more in the latter stages of his life) with Boeing in Seattle.

Unfortunately Dave has passed away but I'm sure his family could be readily located.

Gne

fdr
16th Jul 2022, 02:57
Long Shot, but could it be David Massey Greene?

DMG had an interest in test and evaluation and spent a lot of time (more in the latter stages of his life) with Boeing in Seattle.

Unfortunately Dave has passed away but I'm sure his family could be readily located.

Gne

I doubt that is a long shot at all... it is probably Dave.

morno
16th Jul 2022, 11:17
Was David Massey-Greene the Captain deeply involved in the 747-400 introduction and the flight of OJA from LHR to SYD?

theheadmaster
16th Jul 2022, 11:49
His son is a Qantas 737 FO

m303803
16th Jul 2022, 14:21

I just looked up DMG…sure it has to be him.

this is the best news - I have been treating this almost as a message in a bottle and I can’t believe how easy this was with this one post. How amazing is the internet and how small is the world of aviation 😂

I will get back to the Qantas rep who perhaps could get me in touch with DMG’s son.

thrilled here in US

PW1830
16th Jul 2022, 17:20
Yes-intro of 747-400

Gne
17th Jul 2022, 01:36
And he was one, if not the, the driving forces behind FANS/1.

My introduction to the world of ADS/CPDLC etc was being "asked politely" in a conference room in a hotel in San Francisco during the 1993 PET meeting to work as fast as possible on the technology to make FANS1 happen. "This is going to happen. We have the signatures of three of the four South Pacific DGs. ". Three years later ...

Gne

morno
17th Jul 2022, 01:58
An interesting fellow, would love to have sat down and had a beer with him to listen to his stories

das Uber Soldat
17th Jul 2022, 03:38
And bloody dangerous when handed the reins of a remote control car.

I've alerted him to this thread.

tail wheel
17th Jul 2022, 18:46
PPRuNe connections never cease to amaze.............

bobbelmore
17th Jul 2022, 22:02
m303803,
The son is aware of your post. I am in touch with him.
If you send me your email, I will pass it on to him.
Your PM box is full so I couldn't PM you and neither can he. You need to clear out some of your PMs.

Senior Pilot
18th Jul 2022, 00:12
m303803,
Your PM box is full so I couldn't PM you and neither can he. You need to clear out some of your PMs.
If ​​​m303803 and any other newbie add their email to their profile, PPRuNe allows emails to be sent in lieu of PM without this tedious interchange of posts.

First world problem, but we are dealing with IB techs 🤔🤪

m303803
18th Jul 2022, 10:28
m303803,

Funny - i was able to get one PM and it was from David's son. I got several emails that I am out of space etc etc. New people here are allowed ONE private message i guess ! Also i was surprised i couldnt post any pictures until I had ten postings. Tough crowd here :)

I want to thank the community here for such a speedy connection made. I feel like I found a message in a bottle across the world and am able to return it to the actual intended person. Very glad for this outcome.

Cheers everyone