PDA

View Full Version : VPN Paralyzes PPRuNe

cavuman1
12th Jul 2022, 13:51
Error 1005Ray ID: 729a3620a93b29f1 • 2022-07-12 13:44:03 UTCAccess deniedWhat happened?The owner of this website (www.pprune.org) has banned the autonomous system number (ASN) your IP address is in (206092) from accessing this website.
============================================
In the past three days, I get the aforementioned error message, which disappears when I deactivate my system's VPN. Have I answered my own question, or are there other work-arounds which will permit me to maintain a reasonable level of privacy?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Ed

awair
12th Jul 2022, 16:12
Use a different VPN node - not all providers/IPs are blocked.

Good luck.

HowardB
12th Jul 2022, 17:09
I have the same issue, but am puzzled why this is an issue. The PPrune isn't geo-fenced and switching the VPN requires me to shut down and restart the WiFi connection every time so its a real pain. If there is a serious reason would be helpful if it could be explained.
H

jimjim1
13th Jul 2022, 00:14
the autonomous system number (ASN)

An ASN comprises groups of IP addresses. It is likely that pprune has previously observed suspicious activity from some of these addresses.

You could try choosing a different exit node (maybe expressed as country or region).

This is a red flag. If a VPN is getting barred by a big operator like IB I would be thinking of running away. If a 900lb gorilla like IB is worried enough to block them then I would likely dissociate myself from them too.

Or maybe it's all a just big mistake?

cavuman1
13th Jul 2022, 13:58
Thank you for your advice, jimjim1! I am using ExpressVPN, which is one of the larger and more expensive VPN's. I haven't heard any internet gossip concerning difficulties with this service, though I am occasionally blocked on other sites. I suspect ExpressVPN's library of IP addresses includes some which have been utilized by those with less than honorable intentions.

Thanks also to awair and HowardB for their kind contributions.

- Ed

p.s. I am on the site today with ExpressVPN active on the usual node with no kickback from IB. Go figure....

HowardB
13th Jul 2022, 18:48
Thanks for the confirmation that ExpressVPN alternative locations are OK as have just changed the settings on mine and its now connecting.
H

cavuman1
14th Jul 2022, 16:27
Back to the 1005 Error today, I deselected Chicago as my ExpressVPN node and selected the Docklands server, which is in southeast London. No joy! A new Cloudflare error citing problems on PPRuNe's server was cited. I received the same error after having disconnected from my VPN. Rather frustrating.

- Ed

Bull at a Gate
15th Jul 2022, 11:46
I briefly got the cloudfare error too but I don’t use a VPN. Perhaps the cloudfare issue and the VPN issue are unrelated?

HowardB
15th Jul 2022, 13:15
Back to the 1005 Error today, I deselected Chicago as my ExpressVPN node and selected the Docklands server, which is in southeast London. No joy! A new Cloudflare error citing problems on PPRuNe's server was cited. I received the same error after having disconnected from my VPN. Rather frustrating.

- Ed
Logged in right now through Docklands without any issues. Also the other aviation site that has been causing issues - - Simple Flying - - is OK with this location

India Four Two
5th Aug 2022, 07:43
I have been receiving errors when trying to connect to PPRuNe, using Express VPN and locations in Canada.

cavuman1
8th Aug 2022, 21:25
Just a quick follow-on to my previous posts on this thread. Having tried fifteen ExpressVPN servers in Western Europe, including two in London, the only location which was not rejected is Docklands. It only takes about ten seconds to switch servers, but I run a number of supernumerary/adjunct subroutines which take my location from the extant connection. I know it's raining in London right now, but I'm in Ohio, where the Sun shines mercilessly! My various accounts with delivery vendors think I have moved; they ask me to update my address information.

I note further that when I open an hyperlinked thread from this site, I am logged out after three minutes. I then must login a second time. Minor annoyances, I admit, but annoyances all the same.

- Ed

IBJoel
8th Aug 2022, 22:22
Hi guys,

Unfortunately we do not support VPN usage. I know that is very frustrating for people who travel frequently, and believe me, I have had it out with our network people. The compromise we have is that if you're able to use a single IP address, if you send it to me, I can have our network team whitelist it.