PDA

View Full Version : Insulator washing on live power lines

bb in ca
11th Jul 2022, 17:19
Anyone have any rules of thumb or standard operating procedures to share regarding insulator washing on live power lines?

admikar
11th Jul 2022, 20:49
Don't touch the ground while washing it?

meleagertoo
11th Jul 2022, 23:34
1) Get yourself a nice safe job disarming Russian ordinance in Ukraine?

2) Get a crew-cut. Your hair standing on end will scare the crap out of your oppo.

3) Go work for a gas company searching for leaks with a cigarette lighter.

Bksmithca
12th Jul 2022, 03:07
Anyone have any rules of thumb or standard operating procedures to share regarding insulator washing on live power lines?
I've seen it done both from a helicopter and from a bucket truck. Common thread in both cases is the utility your working for will TELL you what the rules are. There is no standard procedure that is common between utilities.

421dog
12th Jul 2022, 08:47
Watched some helicopter guys play with insulators a couple of years ago (I did medicals for a couple of the company pilots, and they clued me in to where they would be working, after we were talking about those sorts of ops)
They said it was “hot hand work” in which the poor guy doing the actual work was brought up to the potential of the line and then did the work without conducting to ground.

Anyway, it was a high overcast day, and this guy crawled out onto a little platform on the side of the helicopter.
I was standing by the side of the road
maybe 200m from the Hughes something or other when a poor fellow with a dorsal harness crawled out on an aerial platform on a skid, stuck a three foot pole out with a hook on the end of it, and accepted a really visible 3 meter arc from the line.

After he bonded on (he hooked the lead onto the wire) the helicopter kept him adjacecent to the area of work until he was done.

Everyone involved clearly bore elephant nuts….

Thud_and_Blunder
12th Jul 2022, 10:56
Used to see videos of crews doing this when I worked for a powerline unit in the UK. I'm SOOO glad I live in a country where frequent, occasionally-heavy rain does all the insulator-washing we need!

Bksmithca
12th Jul 2022, 14:03
https://www.haverfield.com/
this outfit does a lot of work and has some interesting videos

ShyTorque
12th Jul 2022, 15:16
The safest way to do this is to get someone else to do it.

revit
12th Jul 2022, 17:32
“Haverfield Aviation performs energized insulator washing for American Electric Power.”

https://youtu.be/LLhxgYMXy-A

oldpax
13th Jul 2022, 08:42
Worked on a power station south west of Alexandria where the switchyard was 500KV!Live line washing was installed by contractors and consisted of several sets of fine water jets aimed at the insulators(they could get coated with sand/salt particles being near the desert).First test,loud bang followed by turbine trip!!Happened twice and it was found that the jets were at the wrong angle!
Working in Riyadh I was chosen(guini pig) to demonstrate a hot stick on a 275kv transformer,try not to look scared said the vendor of said hot stick!!!So with thick rubber gloves I prodded the live terminal and got the red light!!Was I scared?....Yes!!

catseye
13th Jul 2022, 11:08
In the interests of you not killing someone learning. A bit of light reading from an experienced operator.

AS 5804 High-Voltage Live Working
IEEE 516 Guide for Maintenance Methods on Energised Powerlines
ESAA Helicopter for Live Line Work Guidelines
IEEE 957: Guide for Cleaning Insulators

Don't just try it yourself. One flash and your ash.

The network operator will tell you how they want it done. Comply with their requirements and if they don't have any walk away.

bb in ca
14th Jul 2022, 21:16
In the interests of you not killing someone learning. A bit of light reading from an experienced operator.

AS 5804 High-Voltage Live Working
IEEE 516 Guide for Maintenance Methods on Energised Powerlines
ESAA Helicopter for Live Line Work Guidelines
IEEE 957: Guide for Cleaning Insulators

Don't just try it yourself. One flash and your ash.

The network operator will tell you how they want it done. Comply with their requirements and if they don't have any walk away.

Thanks for the references and the advice!