PDA

View Full Version : Degrees For Pilots

Piper Warrior Pilot
26th Aug 2002, 19:34
I have recently recieved my GCSE results and although i did not believe that i would pass Maths, English or French, i came out with a pass in every subject 5 B grades and 5 C grades.

I am now desperate to continue my quest to become a pilot as my local college have said that because i got at least a C in english maths and science i can study Physics at A-level.

My question to you all is, which subjects besides Physics and Maths, would help me with a career in aviation, especially as a pilot and also due to the fact that this time next year i will be applying for university, are there any degrees which are especially designed for aviation or pilots.

If anyone could either post on here, e-mail me, or leave me a private message, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

ETOPS773
27th Aug 2002, 10:29
You got a great amount of enthusiasm,but I think you should also think what you`d do if your pilot aspirations don`t go according to plan.Have a backup plan / backup skill ready just in case.

For example, I`d suggest Geography / Meteorology or Electronics.

The Maths and Physics should be enough,once you`ve done them,you can do the ATPL theory through a distance learning course..as for uni, I`ve heard of courses in aviation engineering but nothing more than that really.

Piper Warrior Pilot
27th Aug 2002, 10:38
Im taking Physics, Biology and Chemistry at A level. If my Pilot aspirations dont go according to plan then i am going to study Medicine at University either as a Undergraduate or Graduate program which means 2 years of solid studying at college for my A levels.

If i dont do medicine im still gonna do an aviation related degree and work somewhere in the Aviation industry. Ive always fancied Air Traffic Control. My options are open, ill just have to wait and see what happens.

I WILL BECOEM A PILOT SOMEDAY THE ONLY QUESTION IS WHEN???

Land ASAP
27th Aug 2002, 11:51
The ATPL exams are no harder than an A-Level in difficulty, however learning the syllabus in under a year is a challenge. I suggest you don't even contemplate the idea of becoming a pilot until you have 3 good A-levels under your belt. Then, you may have the qualifications to get yourself on a sponsored pilot training scheme. To go the other route (ie.self sponsored), will take a lot more of your dosh and a lot longer. Unless of course you have rich parents.,......

whisperbrick
27th Aug 2002, 12:08
piper warrior pilot,

Personally I know a lot of people who went off to do aeronautical engineering at uni,however they all subsequently became pilots so it was just a way of keeping motivated towards their ultimate game plan.

I didn't go to uni:there was no course that would have held my attention well enough. A level wise it's really only BA who has the hots for maths,physics for their cadet scheme.I did economics, history and geography and it hasn't held me back.

Its a myth that there is lots of maths involved in flying:geometry and the appreciation of it maybe but the most important thing is to have good fast mental arithmetic

Speedbird283
27th Aug 2002, 13:16
Piper Warrior Pilot

I have been for RAF and RN interviews to further my aspirations to become a Pilot Officer, i was told a degree from Anthropology to Zoology is acceptable, however increased geographical knowledge is ALWAYS a great benefit i was told, i assume this is similar with Airlines.

I think it boils down to what ever you do, do it well!!!, and don't sit through years of equations and then not get a good grade, do something you good at.
There are many pilots without Maths/Physics degree's, thats why I will be taking Physical Geography or perhaps Meterology/Oceanography, ITS ALL DECISIONS;) .

GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU DECIDE:cool:

patience
27th Aug 2002, 13:34
Piper dude,

I did aero eng (yes, to pass time, wise up and skint out before going flying), and frankly it has to be the best and most relevant education a pilot can get. You cover everything at a depth that makes the ATPLs a voluminous chore. And it was done in way would have lit the technie side up of even an arts student.

That said, you really need to pick a good university. The old poly system is still there with 'practical skills' and the like, but you'll do all that on the ATPL course - do yourself a favour -pick a good course at a good university (don't deny the branding bullshi* -its totally true, the bigots rule in this meritocratic society, I know, because I've met a great many)..

Good luck,

Patience

Genghis the Engineer
27th Aug 2002, 13:44
I'm with Patience, and did an Aero-Eng degree also. It is directly relevant, gives you a serious work ethic (or kills you, one or the other), and if for any reason you end up unwilling or unable to pursue full time piloting, opens up many other aviation careers.

It also, even after an ATPL, opens up lots of specific management roles within the airline pilots - technical captains basically, still flying, but with extra responsibility and more rational working hours.

As for A-levels, yes you need Physics and Maths. No other subjects are particularly vital, so long as it's not "ladies basket weaving" or the like, I'd pick something you really enjoy for the 3rd - you're allowed to enjoy yourself !

G

Piper Warrior Pilot
27th Aug 2002, 14:40
Does anyone know of any universities which include flying in the degree. I know of London City and London Guildhall but are there any cheaper ones around, not necessarily this country. I know about the conversion stuff but im desperate to try to find a uni which includes licences.

London city expects students to cough up around the region of 80,000 pounds which, even if i did get a bank loan, it probably wouldnt even cover half that.

Does anyone also know what the difference is between the foundation degree which london guildhall offer and a normal degree.

Also if i was to travel abroad to a uni, is there any financial aid available for international students.

I know there is a lot to sk here but if anyone can help i would be really grateful.

Thanks

scroggs
27th Aug 2002, 15:09
At the risk of falling out with Genghis ;), you do not need physics and maths A-levels to become a pilot. However, if you wish to consider an aero engineering degree, you most certainly will need them.

There is much to recommend an aero engineering degree, but I would only consider it if you are interested in the immense level of detail involved. Many wannabes have attempted this and similar degrees, in the belief that it would help their chances, and found that their motivation was not up to completing a course that didn't really fit their talents. If you lean towards art, history, geography, or whatever, do the course (or A-levels) that interests you and get the best results you can. Failing, or dropping out of, a 'relevant' degree will not help your case. A 2:1 in a less 'relevant' degree will help you! A straw poll of the pilots I fly with suggests that the artists outnumber the scientists by some considerable number.

There was some talk a few months ago of a course at Leeds University which was to combine airline management with some flying. You might try a search on Leeds to see if you can find it.

P.S. Just to confuse the issue, Britannia's latest sponsorship deal requires you to have two of Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Economics at A-level, or one of these at degree level. This is quite common for a sponsored course, although not universal, but has no relevance to direct-entry employment.

litkid_2000
27th Aug 2002, 15:41
I asked the same question here about a year ago after leaving school with 7 A's at Higher level ( Scottish A-Level Equiv.)

I was told it is not the type of degree you have, but the fact you have a degree, whatever the discipline, which is relevent. i.e all gradutes have portrayed their potential in attaining a good degree by commitment, determination and enthusiasim. These are characteristics that the airlines will look for. Of course a maths/ science based course would be more advantagous than a degree in the arts, but primaraly it should be the aim to get a good honours degree.

For the record, I have just completed my 1st year BSc/Llb Computer Science with Law degree course at Strathclyde University. I have discussed this course with various people and all agree that it hits pertinant areas of excellence that the airlines strive for.

Accompany this degree with a PPL (which i hope to attain my the time I graduate) I should be an ideal candidate for an airline sponsorship scheme.

Any comments?

Chaffers
27th Aug 2002, 16:24
I wouldn't touch an Aeronautical Enginering degree with a bargepole unless you really know what you're getting yourself into. Naturally it's suited to some people but wanting to be a pilot is a very poor reason for choosing an Engineering course. Then again it does give you a fall back option should your piloting aspirations recede, if you really want to be an Engineer that is.

Personally I found Computer Science to be a fascinating degree. Particularly if you are good at logic/mental arithmetic you'll probably make a good programmer. Now the market is pretty depressed atm but a god IT contractor still commands 50-75 quid an hour, which will pay for a lot of flying lessons. Even graduate permanent jobs start around £20k, with some huge salaries paid in London.

Don't just think about a subject to choose though, the type of people you are likely to meet at your university in general and on your course will probably have far more of an effect on you than the course content. Enrolling on a well thought of course at a university famous for its easy entry courses like media studies is probably a bad move whereas enrolling on an 'easier' but interesting course at a good university has its merits.
Personally I've done all three, Aero. Eng at a ****hole, Strategic Studies (lots of foreign birds and interesting people from all over the world) at a very good institution and an Msc Comp. Sci at an average one.

Basically figure out how to get pissed and laid with good people and the education will follow, otherwise I'd follow WWW's advice and pick a trade instead....

SPEEDBIRD5FP
27th Aug 2002, 17:38
just sent you a private message, hope it helps
speedbird

Genghis the Engineer
27th Aug 2002, 23:03
Perhaps surprisingly I happen to agree with both Chaffers and Scroggs, but nonetheless hold to the advice I've already given, it's not incompatible. Don't do something you're not interested in, but if you can't find a degree you're interested in and has some relevance to eventual ATPL training, I'd be surprised.

Maths and Physics aren't essential for pilot training (they are however for many technical based degrees), but they will help if they're subjects that you feel comfortable with and enjoy.

G

EGGD
28th Aug 2002, 22:16
I'm in a similar position, but at one year younger.

I'm pretty sure I can get decent grades in my GCSE's (similar to piper warrior pilot), and was considering doing Maths, Geography and Physics at A-level. Now If I can achieve all of this and pass in everything, can I go straight on to a sponsered pilot training scheme and then become employed by an airline without real problems? I mean.. I've been told that you may need a degree otherwise no-chance even if you have a commercial multi-engined pilots license.

grr!

Piper Warrior Pilot
28th Aug 2002, 22:41
You make sponsership from an airline seem very easy. I wouldnt rest all of your hopes on getting sponsership. I did that a couple of years ago and then realised that i was going to have to be prepared to pay for the training myself. All 50,000 pounds worth.

PFO
28th Aug 2002, 23:07
I don't think the degree subject is as important as the "other" stuff you do at Uni:

1. Get involved - join some committee's - inter-personal skills
2. Team-player - join some teams!
3. Flying - look at Uni Air Squadron.

If you get A Levels and Degree then you have proven your academic ability.

The airlines are looking for rounded individuals.

Hope that helps.

PFO

Gin Slinger
28th Aug 2002, 23:31
PWP:
sponsership
Did I read on another thread you're taking an English A-Level?

Nigey
29th Aug 2002, 06:52
I agree with Scroggs completely, do what interests you.

I did a biology degree and a PhD in immunology and it hasn't held me back... except that I'm not employed as a pilot. YET!!!

Best of luck matey ;)

Nige

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Aug 2002, 08:59
Well many moons ago, in fact 1993 ( now doesn't this make me feel like an old git ) I had to rapidly change my plan of starting RAF pilot training straight out of A-levels. Cranwell basically told us all to push off to Uni for 3 years whilst they chopped a couple of dozen squadrons and ran down RAFG. :(

A lovely careers officer (no, he was - I *think* he had orginally advised Douglas Bader to give aerial cavalry a shot..) advised me simply to do a degree that you are interested in.

A 2.1 or First in Art History is going to look a little better than a 2.2 or Third in Aero Eng was the theory.

And by gum do I know a lot of airline pilots and fighter pilots (if you can call Jags a fighter ;) ) now who have either BA 2:2's from Stoke University (!) or a couple of O levels in Geogs and English - or was it Chem and PE? Can't remember now - so long ago etc.

So in the end it matters not a great deal.

Personally I liked what I did. A psychology degree which I was interested in at a mid-ranking Uni with a UAS presence. Work enough to get through the course without any intention or indeed pressure to set the world of academia alight. Spend your spare time ( and there is plenty ) at the airfield working on your fighter pilot banter and trying to get into Sarah Jones' pants.

Leave Uni un-stressed, a hundred quality hours in your logbook and a heap of great memories and mates. Then either the RAF will either take you on or at least you'll be all set for airline sponsorship followed by the self funded option.

Alternatively after A - levels leave education, become a painter and decorator and be like the woman currently doing my bathroom as I type...

= £180 a day (cash) and booked up solid 'till November now

= just back from a fortnight in the sun on a holiday I couldn't afford

Your plan being:

= live at home and save like hell from 18 to 23 (£10k a year saving should be easy)

= pay for your own ATPL CPL IR at age 23 and have no debts, a trade and age still on your side.

Pays your money and takes your choice.

Stop looking for The Right Answer - there isn't one.

Good luck,

Piper Warrior Pilot
29th Aug 2002, 09:05
Thanks. Yes Ginger i am taking an English Language A level. Why did you make it sound weird...ish? lol

Gin Slinger
29th Aug 2002, 09:40
Becuase fait frouwns on the illiterate. Ginger.

Piper Warrior Pilot
29th Aug 2002, 10:03
Sorry Slinger now i know what you mean. Its all this fast typing. I make mistakes. Not in the cockpit thiough thankfully