PDA

View Full Version : BA engine fire at Copenhagen

Jetstream2008
7th Jul 2022, 10:48
It is being reported a BA A320 has had an engine fire while on stand at Copenhagen airport

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10990943/British-Airways-jet-catches-fire-flying-London-Copenhagen-board-evacuated.html

ShamrockF
7th Jul 2022, 12:20
The video appears to be of the fire crew spraying down the wheels of the aircraft, not the engine.

I also heard it could have been a hydraulic leak onto the hot brakes which ignited.

gearlever
7th Jul 2022, 12:38
The video appears to be of the fire crew spraying down the wheels of the aircraft, not the engine.

I also heard it could have been a hydraulic leak onto the hot brakes which ignited.
Yep.
The LH MLG is still smoking in the vid.

SMT Member
7th Jul 2022, 16:54
No engine was ever on fire!

LH MLG hydraulic fire, supposedly started by hot brakes.

DaveReidUK
7th Jul 2022, 18:06
To be fair, the Daily Mail's video (linked in post #1) showing the rear end of the engine being doused in foam didn't help ...

golfyankeesierra
7th Jul 2022, 19:10
Had a similar brake fire once on an A330 just after parking on stand.
Turned out to be not hydraulic fluid but rather (excess) grease that caught fire.
And it showed delayrecovery during taxi in an A330 is a bad idea..

blue up
8th Jul 2022, 05:25
Gotta love Skydrol. Got an eyeful of it yesterday.. Still hurts. Flammable, paint stripping eyeball remover!

About time they came up with something nicer to work with.

Krystal n chips
8th Jul 2022, 07:55
Gotta love Skydrol. Got an eyeful of it yesterday.. Still hurts. Flammable, paint stripping eyeball remover!

About time they came up with something nicer to work with.

How about OM15...I had encounters with both, the former didn't require a visit to A&E. and Skydrol does burn quite well, as seen, twice, on a B737 brake unit when just arrived on stand.

dixi188
8th Jul 2022, 16:55
You can always tell a mech that works with Skydrol - always washes hands before going to the toilet.

DaveReidUK
8th Jul 2022, 18:38
You can always tell a mech that works with Skydrol - always washes hands before going to the toilet.

Yes, you only forget once. :O

AOB9
10th Jul 2022, 10:13
Got to love the intensity and dramatics the media employs to tell a simple story.