PDA

View Full Version : Silly question....Officer pronouns...

unmanned_droid
28th Jun 2022, 22:18
I saw someone on twitter taking the mick because someone else asked if they should call female officers 'Sir' too.

Something in the deepest darkest corners of my brain makes me think that this at least used to be acceptable in the RAF? Can anyone confirm? It might be completely wrong but....

SASless
28th Jun 2022, 23:51
In the USAF....this issue was dealt with a very long time ago long before it got all pronounced up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc3euIOlwcA

gums
29th Jun 2022, 03:51
Salute!

Long as I can remember ( back in 60's), we called the gals "maam" almost all the time, and rarely "sir". If in doubt, we used rank, e.g. Lt Smith".

Gums sends...

MPN11
29th Jun 2022, 09:02
Ma'am ... simples. The OH knows, she was one!

BEagle
29th Jun 2022, 09:24
1969 and a sleepy-eyed Flt Cdt (not me) on his way to Whittle Hall spots rather an attractive WRAF coming the other way...

"Morning love", he calls out in friendly greeting...
"Don't you normall salute officers" came the reply.
"Oops, very sorry Sir....err..Ma'am...err sorry!", then an elbow cracking salute which she returns politely trying hard to suppress a giggle.

Ken Scott
29th Jun 2022, 10:06
Presumably this was the ‘attractive WRAF’ (WAAF) to which you refer…? (The only picture I could find of the late Ms York saluting, receiving instruction from Ginger Lacey along with the film’s director).

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/350x484/2ec07d6b_d763_4398_85ed_bd70dfc9a72b_6519e8dd1da2b8bbb54da0c a92502459f372e799.gif

RubiC Cube
29th Jun 2022, 10:14
There was a certain AEO we used to call it - a shortened version of idiot

sycamore
29th Jun 2022, 10:18
"And do not tilt your head...raise your bloody arm higher". Joe the SWO...

PlasticCabDriver
29th Jun 2022, 10:34
And a certain 230 Sqn Flt Cdr of some renown, when HM the Queen boards his Puma in NI because the Royal Flight Wessex failed to start, “I hope this one is going to work?l, “eeeer, yes Sir!”…

Haraka
29th Jun 2022, 11:23
1969 and a sleepy-eyed Flt Cdt (not me) on his way to Whittle Hall spots rather an attractive WRAF coming the other way...

"Morning love", he calls out in friendly greeting...
"Don't you normall salute officers" came the reply.
"Oops, very sorry Sir....err..Ma'am...err sorry!", then an elbow cracking salute which she returns politely trying hard to suppress a giggle.
And we both know who that was Beags ( Guilty as charged)
She was bloody fanciable though!
(Many weeks confined to the South Brick Lines might hsve also have been an influence)

BEagle
29th Jun 2022, 11:39
I wasn't going to name noms de PPRunE, but good on you for owning up, Haraka old chum!

I absolutely concur with your assessment of pulchritude

Haraka
29th Jun 2022, 11:58
I wasn't going to name noms de PPRunE, but good on you for owning up, Haraka old chum!

I absolutely concur with your assessment of pulchritude
When we went back to serve our second sentences. There was a DS lady of similar attractions.
My DS flight commander advised " Don't even think about it! We reckon it healed over long ago":
She gave us a class lecture about " Not getting emotionally involved with Airwomen"'
This was emphatically countered by a very loud comment from a distant row by the irrascible Pete Stacey ( written off in the Meteor at Coventry in 1988)

" Who said anything sbout emotion?'"

A distinctly icy silence then ensued from the podium . :)

Different days .different sensitivities..!

Minnie Burner
29th Jun 2022, 13:06
Different days indeed. Same era, on the other side of the tracks at HOCTU (spit), Plymothian drill sgt is watching cadets go ashore in silly trilbies, swinging arms shoulder high, etc. To a member of F troop:
"Hopen your legs, ma'am, nuffin's gonna fall out".
You tell the young etc. etc ...

Crromwellman
29th Jun 2022, 15:43
Salute!

Long as I can remember ( back in 60's), we called the gals "maam" almost all the time, and rarely "sir". If in doubt, we used rank, e.g. Lt Smith".

Gums sends...

I remember being counselled (?) by a WRAC officer that it was "Mam as in jam, not Ma'am as in marmalade." My case rests

BEagle
29th Jun 2022, 16:55
When we went back to serve our second sentences. There was a DS lady of similar attractions.

It might have been around that time that an ex-Nimrod AEOp chum had been posted to Vulcans, for which he had to be commissioned....

On his first evening, he met a young lady in the bar, who, shall we say, he got to 'know rather well' later that evening.

The following day they were both rather surprised to discover that she was his DS commander! Strangely enough, he then found the course really rather easy....

Haraka
29th Jun 2022, 17:15
Beags
I will never forget your comment on your UnIversity Course
"Over a hundred students on my course""
"One is a woman":

": And she is hideous!!!!

BEagle
29th Jun 2022, 19:09
Well yes, Haraka me old! Rather an ungentlemanly comment of mine some 50 years ago......

But accurate!

Corporal Clott
29th Jun 2022, 22:06
Just waiting for one of these occurrences… it will happen sooner or later…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb6OpRfyLFo

Which kind of makes a bit of a mockery of all the he/him/her/she/they/them signature blocks. Unless you have it tattooed on your forehead/neck, on the front/back of your clothing or some form of hat, then it’s next to impossible to get right 100% of the time. But then again, do you have to? If you just correct people when they get it wrong, just like getting your name wrong, then surely it is all a bit overly sensitive?

brakedwell
30th Jun 2022, 21:21
I remember a really nice lady at Coastal Command HQ in the early sixties, who was called Wing Officer Titcombe. Unfortunately we used to call her Tit Officer Wingcome!

Sue Vêtements
1st Jul 2022, 12:23
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/350x484/2ec07d6b_d763_4398_85ed_bd70dfc9a72b_6519e8dd1da2b8bbb54da0c a92502459f372e799.gif

Long way up One - Wiggle wiggle - Short way down Two !

and In case you slept through the seventies . . .

In case you slept through the seventies

NRU74
1st Jul 2022, 14:48
At Abingdon in the sixties the chief WRAF was a Squadron Officer Bobbie Stannard and the first Order in one of the Station Routine Orders was a Parade. It said 'Wg Cdr D H M Chandler Officer Commanding No 47 Sqn will mount the Squadron Stannard ....etc'
It was never clear if it was someone getting his or her own back !