22nd Jun 2022, 00:12
Seems like left main collapsed first at touchdown

Zlinguy
22nd Jun 2022, 00:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ibs7nJU80M

A better view...

nomorecatering
22nd Jun 2022, 04:55
This claimed to be video of the approach but unverified. Looks pretty normal to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZA-FIFZL0w

Midnight Blue
22nd Jun 2022, 07:19
Pretty quick evacuation...

Alanwsg
22nd Jun 2022, 08:56
View of the evacuation ....

https://twitter.com/ONLYinDADE/status/1539401832191213568

ETOPS
22nd Jun 2022, 09:36
Wonder why it took so long to open D1L?

MichaelOLearyGenius
22nd Jun 2022, 10:24
Pax carrying bags in evacuation 🤔.
although the pilots did manage to avoid a school, a hospital and a busy playing field while getting her down.

FUMR
22nd Jun 2022, 10:58
although the pilots did manage to avoid a school, a hospital and a busy playing field while getting her down.

Well, in fact all was well until touchdown!

As for carrying bags during evacuation, that subject has been discussed at infinitum on this forum. I don't condone it but it's human nature to grab what is important to you, especially if you are Dominican and about to enter the USA. And you try and tell a woman that she can't take her handbag with her!

Yes, it did seem to take too long to open that forward door.

Flch250
22nd Jun 2022, 11:42
Antenna and tower on right side wrapped around wing. That looks like a substantial structure that was collected in the mishap. Seems as if same side as fire. Have to wonder if fuel cell was ruptured as result of impact with it.

Buster the Bear
22nd Jun 2022, 11:52
RFFS deployment meant that they had to negotiate the evacuating passengers whilst they were approaching the nose of the MD.

Squawk7777
22nd Jun 2022, 12:45
source (https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/dominican-red-air-md-80-crashes-at-miami-international-airport/149096.article)

A McDonnell-Douglas MD-80 belonging to Dominican Republic carrier Red Air crashed when making an emergency landing at Miami International airport on 21 June.

”The landing gear of RedAir Flight 203, a McDonnell Douglas MD-80, collapsed when the aircraft landed at Miami International airport around 6:10 p.m. local time today,” the Federal Aviation Administration says. ”The flight originated from Las Americas International airport in the Dominican Republic and was headed to Miami International Airport.”

According to local news reports, all passengers evacuated the aircraft. Miami International airport says that three passengers were transported to hospital with “minor injuries”.

The accident appears to have completely destroyed the aircraft, which carried the registration HI1064. According to Cirium fleets data, the airframe was 31.5 years old.

Red Air operates three aircraft of the ageing type.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) adds, ”NTSB is sending a team of investigators to Miami following today’s gear collapse and runway excursion of an MD-82 jetliner at Miami International Airport. Investigators will arrive on scene tomorrow.”

The Dominican carrier launched flights in November 2021, and currently operates two daily connections between that country’s capital Santo Domingo and Miami.

Tango and Cash
22nd Jun 2022, 13:37

One of the local news stations showed cell phone video taken while going down the slide. Only got a glimpse of it, but seems like an odd priority. "Hang on, gotta film this for the 'gram"

bafanguy
22nd Jun 2022, 14:32
"A McDonnell-Douglas MD-80 belonging to Dominican Republic carrier Red Air crashed when making an emergency landing at Miami International airport on 21 June."

What was the original emergency ? I haven't seen it mentioned in other accounts.

FUMR
22nd Jun 2022, 14:58
"A McDonnell-Douglas MD-80 belonging to Dominican Republic carrier Red Air crashed when making an emergency landing at Miami International airport on 21 June."

What was the original emergency ? I haven't seen it mentioned in other accounts.

I stand to be corrected but there cannot have been an original declared emergency or the fire trucks would have been ready and waiting. The story is that the main port gear collapsed for, as yet, unknown reasons.

MichaelKPIT
22nd Jun 2022, 15:44
Surprised this hasn't made it to these pages yet. Witnesses are saying a tyre burst on landing, the aircraft bounced and landed hard, collapsing the landing gear and causing a fire. CNN report here: https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/21/us/miami-plane-fire/index.html

EXDAC
22nd Jun 2022, 17:39
Surprised this hasn't made it to these pages yet. Witnesses are saying a tyre burst on landing, the aircraft bounced and landed hard, collapsing the landing gear and causing a fire. CNN report here: https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/21/us/miami-plane-fire/index.html

The first MD-80, fuselage 909, experienced a landing hard enough for the tail to depart. The gear did not collapse.

Going backwards off the runway and into soft sand will take out the gear. That was demonstrated by fuselage 917.

What did they do to this one?

DaveReidUK
22nd Jun 2022, 18:39
RFFS deployment meant that they had to negotiate the evacuating passengers whilst they were approaching the nose of the MD.

Happily, on this occasion the grass was short ...

Mudman
22nd Jun 2022, 18:46
One of the local news stations showed cell phone video taken while going down the slide. Only got a glimpse of it, but seems like an odd priority. "Hang on, gotta film this for the 'gram"

Video can be found here: Slide Video

The Old Swedish
22nd Jun 2022, 19:34
Video can be found here: Slide Video (https://twitter.com/RyanNelsonTV/status/1539410957914578946?s=20&t=KpmXvfkgIHcAmGBaoGUrvw)

Don't forget your water, would be a waste.

A0283
22nd Jun 2022, 20:54
Still curious about what appears to be heavy damage to the radome …

first thought is substantial birdstrike damage …

second a collapsed NLG in combination with a steeper grassy slope than can be seen from the video’s.. with the radome digging in or the radome flipping open when the gear collapsed…

If the approach video is of this flight then the radome appears intact,
and hitting the G/S antenna or other object after the excursion might indeed explain the radome and right wing ‘root’ damage, and the subsequent fire … as posted by fivegirlkit below..

meleagertoo
22nd Jun 2022, 22:00
My reaction was the ridiculously quick evac from door 3L right into the port engine intake that could hardly have feasibly been shut down by then, that complete absence of slides and the huge delay in opening door 1L.
Do MD83s not even have slides? Surely not?

EXDAC
22nd Jun 2022, 22:15

My MD-80 series experience was a very long time ago. My recollection is slides with manual girt bars on the forward and rear doors but no slides on the over-wing exits.

wheelsright
23rd Jun 2022, 03:01
Is this a long landing followed by a runway excursion? There seems to be heavy braking or defective braking judging by the prolonged smoke. Does anyone know if it was a stable approach?

FUMR
23rd Jun 2022, 09:43
Is this a long landing followed by a runway excursion? There seems to be heavy braking or defective braking judging by the prolonged smoke. Does anyone know if it was a stable approach?

If the video in post #4 was indeed taken on that actual day then the answer is yes.

FiveGirlKit
23rd Jun 2022, 11:18
LH gear collapse, runway excursion, glideslope antenna hit, fuel leak/fire, self evacuation.

In the first 5 seconds of the video in post #1 we can see the right wing high, and the left wing dragging on the ground. Thus it seems that the LH main gear failed (the reason for that will be the root-cause of this accident).
The aircraft departs the runway to the left, hits the glideslope antenna (radome damage and right wing debris), loses its undercarriage when traversing the grass, and has a small fire fed by the right wing fuel tank damage.
Then the video on post #6. The unsupervised passengers next to the over-wing exits then see the smoke and start an evacuation - the engines are still spooling down when the video starts, and normally the captain would not initiate an evacuation with the engines running. Both sides were opened, but it seems the evacuation was only on the left side. Then, some time later (59s into the video) the crew/captain initiates the evacuation command, and door 1L was opened, a few seconds before the fire trucks arrived.

A good outcome.

Background Noise
23rd Jun 2022, 12:44
Filming and taking a carry-on - that'll help! :rolleyes:

DaveReidUK
23rd Jun 2022, 13:50
If the video in post #4 was indeed taken on that actual day then the answer is yes.

Do you mean the answer is yes and yes? Or yes and no, or no and yes?

EEngr
23rd Jun 2022, 15:41
Is it just my poor, aging eyes or does the left main gear look like it's not quite straight in the post #4 video prior to touchdown? It might just be the parallax of the recorded image.

FUMR
23rd Jun 2022, 18:38
Do you mean the answer is yes and yes? Or yes and no, or no and yes?

My bad, there were indeed two questions and I was in fact only answering the last one concerning a stable approach. The video in #4 would suggest that it was a stable approach.

wheelsright
24th Jun 2022, 08:42
My eyes are not what they used to be, but I do not see what others are seeing. It looks to me that the gear only failed as the aircraft left the runway.

I do see extended wheel smoke prior to excursion suggestive of heavy braking or possible defect. I did not find many clues after a brief look at ATC and ADS-B. Any further clues?

jimworcs
24th Jun 2022, 11:44
Would it be possible to have central locking on overhead bins which is activated on final descent? That would prevent people blocking egress as they try to open overhead bins and block them from carrying luggage on evacuation. It might also stop the carnage of a passengers leaping out of their seats to open the overhead bins before the plane has even reached the gate!!

DaveReidUK
24th Jun 2022, 11:58
Would it be possible to have central locking on overhead bins which is activated on final descent? That would prevent people blocking egress as they try to open overhead bins and block them from carrying luggage on evacuation. It might also stop the carnage of a passengers leaping out of their seats to open the overhead bins before the plane has even reached the gate!!

In an accident, they would make things even worse. Not going to happen.

Capt Jeff
25th Jun 2022, 14:21
My reaction was the ridiculously quick evac from door 3L right into the port engine intake that could hardly have feasibly been shut down by then, that complete absence of slides and the huge delay in opening door 1L.
No such thing as "3L" door. Two doors at the front: Forward Entrance Door (1L), Forward Service Door (1R). At the back: Rear Service Door (2L), and the Aft Entrance Door, which is at the tailcone/aft airstairs. Only ONE door on the right side of jet (1R). All three doors (1L, 1R, and 2L) have evacuation slides. If the aft tailcone is jettisoned, an evacuation slide is activated. Otherwise, rear airstairs are available through the tail.

In addition to the doors, there are four overwing emergency exit "doors," two on each side. On the Mad Dogs I flew (for 18 years... MD-88/90), the emergency overwing exits were not connected to any warning or status light system... which means that if someone decides to open them, you have no indication in the cockpit. The reason it took so long for the left forward (1L) door to open is probably due to the crew performing the Emergency Evacuation checklist... shutting down engines before commanding an evacuation. That implies to me that the people evacuating through the overwing exits did so without direction.

Capt Jeff
25th Jun 2022, 16:38
No such thing as "3L" door. Two doors at the front: Forward Entrance Door (1L), Forward Service Door (1R). At the back: Rear Service Door (2L), and the Aft Entrance Door, which is at the tailcone/aft airstairs. Only ONE door on the right side of jet (1R). All three doors (1L, 1R, and 2L) have evacuation slides. If the aft tailcone is jettisoned, an evacuation slide is activated. Otherwise, rear airstairs are available through the tail.

In addition to the doors, there are four overwing emergency exit "doors," two on each side. On the Mad Dogs I flew (for 18 years... MD-88/90), the emergency overwing exits were not connected to any warning or status light system... which means that if someone decides to open them, you have no indication in the cockpit. The reason it took so long for the left forward (1L) door to open is probably due to the crew performing the Emergency Evacuation checklist... shutting down engines before commanding an evacuation. That implies to me that the people evacuating through the overwing exits did so without direction.
Oh... forgot to add that the overwing exits on the DC-9 and variants do not have slides... the passengers are to slide off the flaps at the trailing edge of the wing.

FUMR
25th Jun 2022, 19:10
My eyes are not what they used to be, but I do not see what others are seeing. It looks to me that the gear only failed as the aircraft left the runway.

I do see extended wheel smoke prior to excursion suggestive of heavy braking or possible defect. I did not find many clues after a brief look at ATC and ADS-B. Any further clues?

Check again. The port wing is already on the ground before the aircraft veers off the runway.

Mr Optimistic
26th Jun 2022, 09:01
Juan Browne gives his take on this.
Majors on uncommanded evacuation and how the pax may have a different perspective to those at the front.
https://youtu.be/0JJWQCs4Kq0
Whoever took the video looks to be standing four square on the asphalt. Odd what people will risk for 2 seconds of fame.

bafanguy
8th Jul 2022, 21:13
So, nothing new about the investigation into this accident...no preliminary report ? I see the wreckage has been moved to another part of the airport.

A0283
9th Jul 2022, 07:54
So, nothing new about the investigation into this accident...no preliminary report ? I see the wreckage has been moved to another part of the airport.

Prelim is basically after 30 days … so 20-22 nd of July

bafanguy
21st Jul 2022, 17:08
FYI:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20220621-1

DaveReidUK
21st Jul 2022, 21:58
Preliminary report (https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/105298/pdf).

bafanguy
21st Jul 2022, 22:25
That report still doesn't answer any questions. It was reported by the crew that the left MLG "collapsed" on rollout ["During the landing roll out the left main gear collapsed..."] but in Fig. 2 the inspectors are looking at a MLG that only appears somewhat off full down but still supporting the wing. So what actually happened ?

Liffy 1M
23rd Jul 2022, 19:51
Note also that the FO is the only crew member quoted.

mnttech
23rd Jul 2022, 22:25
That report still doesn't answer any questions. It was reported by the crew that the left MLG "collapsed" on rollout ["During the landing roll out the left main gear collapsed..."] but in Fig. 2 the inspectors are looking at a MLG that only appears somewhat off full down but still supporting the wing. So what actually happened ?
Never been around one, but I think that is the right main, not the left, the image is labeled wrong. The drip stick appears to be forward (right) in the image, like at about 9 seconds in this video
YT video of gear

bafanguy
24th Jul 2022, 15:13
mtntech,

I think you may be right. I took the caption in fig. 2 at face value and (obviously) didn't look at it enough. There's been a good bit of damage so it's hard to tell from the gear leg itself.

fdr
31st Jul 2022, 05:42
Never been around one, but I think that is the right main, not the left, the image is labeled wrong. The drip stick appears to be forward (right) in the image, like at about 9 seconds in this video
YT video of gear (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_EVVpV-kgI)

that is the left main Gear, and the bogie is pointing 90 degrees from where it should... (flaps behind the gear, light, inboard joint cap... it's the left bit, but folded like a P-40 in the retract, or mixmaster... or 210...) gonna be some interesting materials testing around the scissor link and the lateral brace to see what went first. KMIA will get a new ILS GS antenna out of it for 26.

Sad to see another set of Long Beach's finest cables get tossed onto the dump. With V-2500s it wasn't a bad plane.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/706x903/screen_shot_2022_07_31_at_3_31_25_pm_527a7e09dcd85c821fd60d5 698afa39e0a87d118.png