PDA

View Full Version : Another Watchkeeper down

downsizer
17th Jun 2022, 07:56
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10921667/British-Army-loses-SEVENTH-Watchkeeper-drone-Cyprus-crash.html

Whoops....

And to keep this thread vaguely on topic as the Mil History forum I wonder what it had for lunch?

https://twitter.com/geoallison/status/1537376613830209536?s=20&t=ZwyFOqTEpAgMqVU41C8zBA

https://twitter.com/geoallison/status/1537376479692132357?s=20&t=ZwyFOqTEpAgMqVU41C8zBA

Two's in
17th Jun 2022, 12:29
Direct quote from the article:

"The aerial surveillance platform has been beset by problems and has seen the budget spiral from £800m to more than £1.4 million."

That's about what you would expect from the source.

Lonewolf_50
17th Jun 2022, 12:54
And to keep this thread vaguely on topic as the Mil History forum I wonder what it had for lunch? I will guess either a Gullburger or a FODburger. :uhoh:
(I love that it floats. Also, hopefully the investigation team get a good read on what caused the crash).

NutLoose
17th Jun 2022, 13:03
A dead Watchkeeper, does that make it tikka tokka Timex then?

It makes you wonder when it cannot fly in all weathers in Europe as to the point off it all.

Octane
17th Jun 2022, 14:59
It got dizzy

WB627
17th Jun 2022, 23:49
£30m for a model aircraft :confused::confused::confused: Seriously :eek:

Saint Jack
18th Jun 2022, 02:21
£30m for a model aircraft :confused::confused::confused: Seriously :eek:
Not the aircraft as such, rather the equipment on board.

jolihokistix
18th Jun 2022, 02:51
Or some external source?

Rigga
18th Jun 2022, 14:21
I worked with the airframe maker some years ago and they were grateful for the somewhat regular replacement work....

VX275
19th Jun 2022, 08:36
There's something odd about that photo of it floating in the water. Where are the sensor turrets?

Sue Vêtements
19th Jun 2022, 20:32
"The aerial surveillance platform has been beset by problems and has seen the budget spiral from £800m to more than £1.4 million."

Pedantic I know, but if you look at a spiral it's a lot like a circle in that it goes in all directions, so if costs were "spiraling" they'd be oscillating between going up and down (amongst other repeated changes)

To be sure a spiral has, within its definition, the fact that it traces a locus that's forever getting further away from (or indeed nearer to) the starting point, so perhaps that's what they mean

:confused:

...at least they didn't say spiral when they meant helix. That's really annoying

DuncanDoenitz
19th Jun 2022, 20:54
...at least they didn't say spiral when they meant helix. That's really annoying

Maybe they did mean helix; like, you know, a spiral staircase.

Sideshow Bob
20th Jun 2022, 07:11
Pedantic I know, but if you look at a spiral it's a lot like a circle in that it goes in all directions, so if costs were "spiraling" they'd be oscillating between going up and down (amongst other repeated changes)

To be sure a spiral has, within its definition, the fact that it traces a locus that's forever getting further away from (or indeed nearer to) the starting point, so perhaps that's what they mean

:confused:

A spiral is a winding in a continuous and gradually widening (or tightening) curve, either round a central point on a flat plane or about an axis so as to form a cone. However, in this case spiral is a progressive rise or fall of prices, wages, etc., each responding to an upward or downward stimulus provided by a previous one as in "an inflationary spiral". Now who's being pedantic!! ;)

23rd Jun 2022, 07:50
Google is your friend spiral
/ˈspʌɪrəl/adjective

1.winding in a continuous and gradually widening (or tightening) curve, either round a central point on a flat plane or about an axis so as to form a cone:"a spiral pattern"

noun

1.a spiral curve, shape, pattern, or object:"a spiral of smoke"
2.a progressive rise or fall of prices, wages, etc., each responding to an upward or downward stimulus provided by a previous one:"an inflationary spiral"

helix
/ˈhiːlɪks/noun

1.an object having a three-dimensional shape like that of a wire wound uniformly in a single layer around a cylinder or cone, as in a corkscrew or spiral staircase.
2.the rim of the external ear.

KiloB
23rd Jun 2022, 08:13
Considering the forum, I’m surprised that no one has mentioned ’spiral dive’!

ORAC
23rd Jun 2022, 11:23
Death spiral may be a more appropriate term.