PDA

View Full Version : Phone charging points in airports

davidjohnson6
16th Jun 2022, 08:02
Wandering around Heathrow T2 departures, I notice phone charging points are rather less easy to find than at some other hub airports in Europe. The only one I could find easily near seating was next to the smoking area - not an appealing place to sit for an hour

For an airport management company, they seem to like high spec environments - cheap-and-cheerful is not what Heathrow does.

Has somebody decided that readily available phone charging points diverts passengers' attention from retail shopping and thus decided to make charging points hard to find ?

redsnail
16th Jun 2022, 09:29
T2 is bad, T5 is better.
I wouldn't credit airport designers with that degree of sophisticated thinking.

ZFT
16th Jun 2022, 13:27
Wandering around Heathrow T2 departures, I notice phone charging points are rather less easy to find than at some other hub airports in Europe. The only one I could find easily near seating was next to the smoking area - not an appealing place to sit for an hour

For an airport management company, they seem to like high spec environments - cheap-and-cheerful is not what Heathrow does.

Has somebody decided that readily available phone charging points diverts passengers' attention from retail shopping and thus decided to make charging points hard to find ?

There's a smoking area in T2 Departures?

davidjohnson6
16th Jun 2022, 13:42
Near gate A1

SpringHeeledJack
16th Jun 2022, 16:33

That's a new one on me! There again, as a non-smoker it's not something that I'd be looking out for and would only see it by chance. I'll have a look the next time I pass through.

Regarding charging points, you would think that with the prevalence of phones/tablets/laptops these days that there would a plethora of charging points to aid the customers using the terminal. I guess that the experience of the OP is a reminder to us all to bring an external powerbank(s) along for the trip.

S.o.S.
16th Jun 2022, 17:14
By 'Charging Points' do you mean regular power outlets or dedicated USB ones?

davidjohnson6
16th Jun 2022, 17:36
By charging point, I mean any capacity to attach a standardised cable between a source of electricity and my phone. If it's just USB ports, that will do. If just UK-style 3-point sockets, that will do. If somebody decides to install European style 3-point sockets, or even US-style sockets in LHR departure halls... that's good enough for me as well (although I suspect somebody from HSE might have a different opinion !)

G-ARZG
16th Jun 2022, 17:53
Map shows 8 charging stations around gates A16 to A23.
Not saying they all work,but...

BFSGrad
16th Jun 2022, 19:19
The modern variation of the good old days trying to find a pay phone in the airport.

FlightDetent
17th Jun 2022, 11:13
What's the old day variation of carrying a power-bank?

SpringHeeledJack
17th Jun 2022, 11:26
A pocket full of change in the local currency, or a phone card to allow calling once connected via a free number in each airport/country. At one point I had a 'fanny-pack' full of coins and cards (and calling cards) to help with communications whilst travelling from place to place regularly.

Mobile telephony is a wonder, but is handicapped by it's constant need of signals and power. Modern day grown-up Tamagotchi ;-)

NRU74
17th Jun 2022, 18:15
Was in Nice T2 last Friday and they've installed lots of charging points - was pleased so I didn't have to access the cleaner's vacuum socket with my long lead to recharge my old phone.

Re SHJ - I remember in the RAF when we were scheduled to go to such odd places as Kano, Douala, Lubumbashi etc I used to sign out a Cable and Wireless 'Collect' Card from Ops. It seldom worked !

PAXboy
17th Jun 2022, 22:35
I had a British Telecom card for many years. There were 0800 numbers from a wide range of countries. Then dialed a long Pin [about 10 digits] then the number you wanted. High quality line but don't look at the bill too closely.