PDA

View Full Version : Airbus looking at grounding Lamas and Alouettes

Nige321
15th Jun 2022, 22:57
Vertical Magazine (https://verticalmag.com/features/airbus-ponders-withdrawal-of-type-certificate-for-lama/)

Once the undisputed king of the mountains, the Aérospatiale SA 315B Lama helicopter is now facing permanent grounding following more than half a century of legendary service.
https://i0.wp.com/assets.verticalmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/lamaneu811130816-819x1024.jpg?resize=640%2C800&ssl=1

There are more than 200 Lamas and Alouettes still in operation, according to Airbus estimates.
Robert Niederwolfsgruber PhotoCiting difficulties with maintaining airworthiness and flight safety, Airbus Helicopters — which holds the type certificate for the Lama as well as its predecessor, the Alouette III — notified operators on March 23, 2022, that it was conducting a “global situation analysis” of the Alouette and Lama fleets.

The OEM bulletin indicated this analysis is being performed “as part of a reflection on the continuation or withdrawal of Alouette & Lama type certificates.”

LRP
16th Jun 2022, 04:22
Sad. The Lama was a great mountain machine, good memories.

zambonidriver
16th Jun 2022, 05:25
What specifically is the issue here (except money of course)?
Is there any part that can not be manufactured anymore? A fundamental flaw with the design?

md 600 driver
16th Jun 2022, 06:55
This does not mean they will be grounded they just won’t have the support of airbus
and proberbly need to be flown in permit to fly or experimental Airworthiness certificates

Nescafe
16th Jun 2022, 07:12
they just won’t have the support of airbus

Sighs of relief from operators worldwide then?

catseye
16th Jun 2022, 09:26
More than 10 years ago they were canvassing possible orders for blades. I believe there was an issue with some of the chemicals/glue in the manufacturing process. Mabybe you could use the Indian blades?

ericferret
16th Jun 2022, 09:56
I am surprised that the Indians have not taken over the type certificate for the Lama and the Alouette 3.
There is a business opportunity there.
When you consider the success they have made of the Royal Enfield marque.
Their military requirements would underpin civilian parts sales.