PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keyboard wearing out

AerBabe
26th Aug 2002, 13:34
I've got a Toshiba Satellite 1800-400 which I've had for about 12 months. I use it for work, and for university, so it sees a lot of use. My problem is that some of the letters are starting to wear off the keys. It's not a huge problem, because I touch type, but it's making my laptop look tatty. Also the rough texture of the keys has now worn down, and the home keys have very little errr... nipple left :)

I'm assuming this isn't covered by the warranty as it's 'normal wear and tear', so is there something I can do about it? I've considered cutting up book-covering film to stick on the keys, but is there anything more suitable available?

Thank you!
AB

ORAC
26th Aug 2002, 13:50
ProtecT (http://www.protectcovers.com/laptop.htm)

What_does_this_button_do?
26th Aug 2002, 15:46
For the keyboard you have two choices.

1. Is free. You get a permie marker and write on the keyboard the letters so you know where they are.

2. Is not free. You get a new keyboard from Toshiba, about £60.

As for nipples if you drop me an email with a postal address I will have a word with my lads and get you some in the post. We have various colours and textures available! (and I'm not joking).

tacpot
26th Aug 2002, 16:55
Best option for the errrr... nipples is Araldite. :)

I mean just put a tiny dab over the what remains of the previous errr... nipples - to raise them, stimulate them if you will - er, I'll get my coat...

BTW: Me thinks w_d_t_b_d believes your Tosh to have an evil Trackpoint thingy. Please say it is not so.

What_does_this_button_do?
26th Aug 2002, 17:07
http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_85bdeb185b9f9c8e98562ffd5a01e865/i-1.JPG

it is.

redsnail
26th Aug 2002, 17:33
I noted the Carlsburg tinnie in the back ground. ;)

AerBabe
26th Aug 2002, 18:22
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Oooh... now I know what you're going on about!!

No no no...the nipples on my home keys :D Thought it was a bit odd you'd have spare ones ;)

Tacpot - it does have an evil *shudder* trackpoint thingy, but I plug a mouse in the back :)

Squiddley
27th Aug 2002, 09:32
Your best bet (esp. if you're in the US) is to drop a message into the Toshiba computer forum (http://forums.compuserve.com/vlforums/default.asp?SRV=Toshiba) and ask there. They're very quick and will come up with either ideas, or contacts of authorise drepair centres to get a fix quickly.

Good luck.

fobotcso
27th Aug 2002, 09:57
Sony will provide individual replacement keys for the Vaio so you just get the ones you need like "Q", "Z" and others that you use a lot. ;) Must be cheaper than a complete keyboard and they're easy to fit.

Roger on the Carlsberg, but what was the white stuff in that bottle just behind the TV Remote(?). It looks suspiciously like, shudder, er, milk...yuk! :eek:

Lost_luggage34
27th Aug 2002, 09:59
A new keyboard on the Tosh is very simple to fit - don't even need a screwdriver if my memory serves me correctly !!

Bird Strike
27th Aug 2002, 10:23
My silly solution to the problem that I implemented were (it wasn't Toshiba but nonetheless a laptop):-

External keyboard and mouse. Went through 4 keyboards (Honeywell @ $74 each, grrrr) in two years through overuse and over abuse. The keys just wore out. Poor buggas.

Now onto a cordless external keyboard and mouse. I'm very happy with them, so you might like to consider then AerBabe.

Suddenly I just wondered.... what happens when I wear out the keyboard? Can I just buy a replacement keyboard, as I am sure the rest will be OK. BTW the brand is Logitech Cordless Keyboard. Anyone got a clue?

mainfrog2
27th Aug 2002, 17:52
On my Toshiba laptop the tops come off the keys. I know because the dogs just kicked half of them off.

They just clip on, so maybe you could just replace the grey tops of those that are worn.

tacpot
28th Aug 2002, 11:58
Bird Strike - if you've bought IT equipment for any length of time, you should have realised that you can only ever buy seperately the bits that DON'T wear out.

When your keyboard wears out you will have two choices:

1. Hunt high and low for an identical set of what you have already bought, for which you will have to pay a premium becuase it is now rare. :mad:

2. Buy the item that replaced what you have bought in the manufacturers inventory, which will be better and so cost more, but be incompatible with what you have. :mad:

Heads they win, Tails you lose. :mad:

Bird Strike
28th Aug 2002, 12:28
Yeah Tacpot

I loved my Honeywell Spacemate II, despite its silly price tag of $74, simply because the keys were so light to touch. Now no-one seems to be able to get it. Typical.

Oh well, I'll just buy the whole kit again when this wireless keyboard fails... as always.

AerBabe
28th Aug 2002, 18:48
Hmm... seems my options are plenty!
Agree with Birdy that the lightness of touch on a keyboard is very important, especially when I'm typing on it for hours a day (no wonder it's worn out!). I'll have a look at the wireless ones, but space is very limited, so I think I'll wear this one down completely, and then look at getting a replacement keyboard. Dunno how easy they are to fit, but it should be a simple clip 'n' screw job ;)
Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

ORAC
28th Aug 2002, 20:13
Replacement Keyboards + Instructions (http://www.toshibakeyboards.com/)