PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter OpSpec

EZMunk
14th Jun 2022, 00:56
Dear all,

Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of the regulations in starting a helicopter AOC under 135? I am being tasked to stand up a helicopter operation in a developing country. I am a fixed wing ATPL and instructor rating holder with a bunch of airline experience. Starting with 1 mid-size twin engine helicopter and two pilots and a few engineers.

What sort of training program do you need to have? Any similarity with 121 fixed wing airline world?

havick
14th Jun 2022, 04:34
Dear all,

Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of the regulations in starting a helicopter AOC under 135? I am being tasked to stand up a helicopter operation in a developing country. I am a fixed wing ATPL and instructor rating holder with a bunch of airline experience. Starting with 1 mid-size twin engine helicopter and two pilots and a few engineers.

What sort of training program do you need to have? Any similarity with 121 fixed wing airline world?

Pretty difficult to answer anything without knowing which country.

Non-PC Plod
14th Jun 2022, 06:00
I think, by the reference to part-135, we are talking an FAA operation.

Ascend Charlie
14th Jun 2022, 11:01
Hire a helicopter person to do it.

SASless
14th Jun 2022, 11:02
A careful reading of US FAR Part 135 would be a good start.

Making contact with HAI in Alexandria, Virginia would be my next stop for information.

Depending upon which developing Country it is....contacting the appropriate US FAA Office holding jurisdiction for that developing country for information and assistance.

Those contacts would be useful even if you were not going to create an air taxi company but were doing a Corporate Operation.

If not an Air Taxi, For hire or charter operation US FAR Part 91 would be sufficient with Part 135 being for an Air Taxi operation.

I know some individuals that might be of some help but do not wish to name them I the public forum.

wrench1
14th Jun 2022, 12:20
I am being tasked to stand up a helicopter operation in a developing country.
Not enough information:
1) Will the AOC be issued under the developing country's CAA or a foreign/external CAA?
2) Will the aircraft be registered in that country or a different country?

212man
14th Jun 2022, 12:21
From the NBAA website - FW but the rules and process will no doubt be mirrored: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiOjt_s9az4AhVYtqQKHXhPAQ8QFnoECAUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnbaa.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F01%2Fstarting-a-part-135-operation-1.pdf&usg=AOvVaw37C51yAr0kx7a6N0CgEngA

Interesting that it's available via google search but the actual NBAA website restricts it to members only!