PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Island Airports 1963

PAXboy
13th Jun 2022, 14:48
Nice to see Fyfe Robertson again.
Then and Now (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-61746933)

The role of an airport is important for many communities, but rural Scottish islands benefit from them more than most.

People on Tiree and Barra are among those to be served with an air service to the islands from mainland Scotland.

The BBC is highlighting its archive through the BBC Rewind project, as part of the broadcaster’s centenary celebrations.

Here, we look back at Barra airport in 1963 with an appearance by broadcaster Fyfe Robertson – and Tiree airport from the modern day.

Film by Graham Fraser and Graham Stewart

Herod
13th Jun 2022, 21:58
In the mid-seventies the Trislander would make the Glasgow-Tiree-Barra route in about 1:30 or so, but then again, we didn't refuel at Tiree. And no, we didn't refuel at Barra !!

chevvron
14th Jun 2022, 09:59
Trislander? In my day (1972) it was the Mk1 (fixed undercarriage) Heron operated by BEA.

Musket90
14th Jun 2022, 17:30
I remember the Herons and believe they were registered G-ANXA and B.

DaveReidUK
15th Jun 2022, 11:30
I remember the Herons and believe they were registered G-ANXA and B.

BEA had a third Heron, G-AOFY, which was destroyed when it flew into the ground on approach to Islay/Glenegedale in 1957, a year or so after entering service.

When the two surviving Herons, as above, were given names a few years later, G-ANXA was designated "Sister Jean Kennedy" in memory of the nurse who died along with the crew in the aforementioned accident.