PDA

View Full Version : UK Initial CAA Class 1 Medical Delays- Advice Needed

BlueWings97
13th Jun 2022, 09:04
Hey pilots,

Got a question - Back in February i attended my initial class 1 medical at Aeromedical Centre "A", with the aim of starting PPL->ATPL flight training in October. Everything else is in place, just need the medical. There are a few medical history events in my past that i knew would require further investigation but are unlikely to prevent me flying. With that knowledge, i thought 8 months would be enough to get the medical and get all final prep done. I went with Aeromedical Centre "A" as it's, by about 120 miles, closer to me.

Fast forward to today. 4 months have gone by. I am waiting on referrals for assessments with private medical practises, which will generate reports and send them to the aeromedical centre who will then submit a report to the CAA.

I have received 3 emails from them in this time. The last one was almost 2 months ago and it was essentially "we're going to proceed with the referrals". I've sent emails but they have gone unanswered. I'm no longer confident I will be medically certified by the start of flight school. I have even asked if a class 2 would be possible to cover the first year and grant me more time for a class 1. I'm now considering (and have been advised to by other pilots) going to one of the other aeromedical centres to re-start an initial class 1 medical in the hopes it will be quicker.

anyone have any advice?
Many thanks!

kwaiyai
16th Jun 2022, 08:21
Is there anyone you can call rather than email direct about this and ask them basically what has/is being done?
Bring in your point about training start date and Medical etc.

My 10 pence worth,

Regard's.

Radgirl
17th Jun 2022, 09:35
A private consultant should respond within a week with a consultation within a further week. You could always ask which consultant they have referred you to and then call the secretary...