PDA

View Full Version : 5G masts and possible helicopter issues

helimutt
8th Jun 2022, 11:29
I would be interested to hear of any views by UK based helicopter pilots who have experienced any sort of issues with NAV/aircraft warning / caution systems which appear then disappear after a minute or so. I’m particularly interested in hearing of anything over the last year or so, which could be caused by erroneous signals from an external unexplained source, the AW109 models and Bell 407 are ones I have heard of so far and had experience of. Likely cautions are GPS issues, TAWS, Heading miscompare etc. These usually last only a minute or two.
I don’t believe in coincidences but I’d like to try narrow down when and where these are occurring as there seem to be a couple of areas near Sheffield, Nottingham and DTY that I’m aware of. TIA

jimf671
8th Jun 2022, 16:38
Jumping ahead a bit, The IET's "6G for Policy Makers" (https://www.theiet.org/impact-society/factfiles/communications-factfiles/6g-for-policy-makers/) states
"The traditional approach to a next generation mobile technology – seeking ever higher data speed in ever higher spectrum bands – is no longer sustainable. A new approach to mobile generation change is needed in which 6G breaks out of this unsustainable business model."
and a "... need to drive far more effective use of bands below 6GHz that are particularly suitable for wide area coverage ...".

So as well as solving the EMC issues with 5G, SOMEBODY (?) in aviation needs to get involved in the processes that are currently starting to define what 6G is.

[Increasingly unsure much of 5G is legal on the basis of the EMC issues.]

gipsymagpie
8th Jun 2022, 19:34
I would be interested to hear of any views by UK based helicopter pilots who have experienced any sort of issues with NAV/aircraft warning / caution systems which appear then disappear after a minute or so. I’m particularly interested in hearing of anything over the last year or so, which could be caused by erroneous signals from an external unexplained source, the AW109 models and Bell 407 are ones I have heard of so far and had experience of. Likely cautions are GPS issues, TAWS, Heading miscompare etc. These usually last only a minute or two.
I don’t believe in coincidences but I’d like to try narrow down when and where these are occurring as there seem to be a couple of areas near Sheffield, Nottingham and DTY that I’m aware of. TIA
This may have nothing to do with 5G actually. We have found an area of NW Birmingham that is consistently jamming our GPS and we are working with Ofcom and believe we have established it might be two elements of a new (not 5G) mobile mast that are crossing over exactly on the GPS L1 frequency. I would be very interested to learn more about your experience (before tomorrow (9 June)) if you can (by PM please). I need location, height AGL, symptoms and duration (both in terms of how long it lasts and how many days you have experienced it).

helimutt
8th Jun 2022, 21:37
This may have nothing to do with 5G actually. We have found an area of NW Birmingham that is consistently jamming our GPS and we are working with Ofcom and believe we have established it might be two elements of a new (not 5G) mobile mast that are crossing over exactly on the GPS L1 frequency. I would be very interested to learn more about your experience (before tomorrow (9 June)) if you can (by PM please). I need location, height AGL, symptoms and duration (both in terms of how long it lasts and how many days you have experienced it).

you have PM