PDA

View Full Version : Trains and Seaplanes

Piper.Classique
5th Jun 2022, 08:30
Good morning Ppruners
I'm planning a train trip across Canada, and want to combine it with some floatplane flying. I'm not expecting to fly solo, but do want instruction and handling time . I have a rating for my EASA PPL, but all my floatplane experience has been on a large lake in a Super Cub on amphibious floats.
I would very much like to do some river landings, and some more remote areas on lakes. The plan would be to do the flying somewhere reasonably accessible from the route of the train journey, which is from Vancouver to Halifax, via Kamloops, Jasper, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec.
Ideally close enough that I wouldn't need a hire car, and with at least slightly affordable accommodation.
Your advice please, on best places, schools, time of year, and how long I should plan to get five to ten hours flying? The aircraft doesn't need to be anything exotic.

Pilot DAR
5th Jun 2022, 11:07
Hello Piper Classique,

The Trans Canada train will afford you magnificent scenery. From the list of destinations for Via, the rail operator, the following stops are places where float flying may be available close by:

British Columbia - Vancouver city proper, at best you'll get a commercial ride, I don't think there's any floatplane rental/instruction there. East of Vancouver, Pitt Meadows airport is a busy float plane base, but it's not a stop for the train, and the better part of an hour car ride from downtown Vancouver. Hope and Chilliwack are stops and possibilities. Kamloops will have some float flying. Don't expect any convenient [to the train] float flying in Alberta nor Saskatchewan.

In Manitoba - An hour's drive north of Winnipeg is St. Andrews and Selkirk. There's float flying in Selkirk, though prior arrangements should be made. Harv's Air at St Andrews airport will know.

In Ontario, Sioux Lookout, Temagami, Sudbury, Parry Sound (a certainty), and Ottawa (Rockcliffe Airport) are stops on the route at which float flying should be available.

In Quebec and the Atlantic, you'll be on the "South Shore" which has few float flying operations. The Quebec north is where the float flying will be.

There are certainly other float flying centers which can easily accommodate you, but they are not train stops. Orillia is one, though their operation is paralleled with the operation in Parry Sound. Float flying around Parry Sound and Georgian Bay will afford you magnificent scenery.

I hope that helps....

Piper.Classique
5th Jun 2022, 13:11
Brilliant, thank you. I'll start investigating.

B2N2
5th Jun 2022, 15:37
Brilliant, thank you. I'll start investigating.

That trip sounds fantastic.
Lots of pictures please.

4Screwaircrew
5th Jun 2022, 17:24
Sudbury is where I trained on floats - Sudbury Aviation, now renamed True North Airways were great, they operate off a huge lake but have all sorts of more “interesting” lakes available.
I had a great time and recommended them to anyone who would listen, however the instructor I trained with left and the owner at that time has died, so things may have changed. They operate 2 x C172 on straight floats for training and C185 2 x DHC2 and a DHC3 on their charter fleet, there is a sensibly priced hotel in town which I have walked to the lake from.

Zombywoof
5th Jun 2022, 18:17
Have you travelled on this train before?

If not, be forewarned: you might as well take the schedule and throw it out the window, because you will not be arriving on-time anywhere along the route. This train stops and waits for every freight train between Toronto and Vancouver, of which there are many, and delays of many hours, even days, are the rule, not the exception. Mechanical problems are an everyday occurrence, the coaches were built when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Read some online reviews.

Nothing like sitting on some siding in Saskatchewan without moving for five hours.We were there so long we finished off every drop of beer in the bar car. Great fun! Made lots of friends!

This ain't European train travel my friend. You have been warned :)

Piper.Classique
5th Jun 2022, 21:01
Thanks Zombywoof. It's OK, I've traveled by train all over the place. Try Myanmar for delays!
But if you want to cross the Goitek viaduct then you grit your teeth and sit on the train as long as you have to. At least the Canadian has padded seats.
It is a holiday. All will be well.

Zombywoof
5th Jun 2022, 22:32
Ok, just making sure you're aware. Passenger rail in Canada has priority lower than zero, the truth is the railroads would very much prefer to abandon it completely in favour of 100% freight operations, but there are political pitfalls.

That said, I've had lots of fun on The Canadian. Many tourists from all over the world ride that train, and unlike most Canadians, they know how it's done. They come fully stocked with food & drink, and they bring the correct attitude. Meeting them is a blast, much laughter and good times. :)

I'm sure you'll be fine, hope you enjoy your trip and get some good flying in! Pilot DAR knows what he's talking about, good advice there.

India Four Two
6th Jun 2022, 15:28
PC,

You should definitely read this page before booking:

https://www.thislifeintrips.com/10-things-about-via-the-canadian-train/

it’s a shame The Canadian no longer travels its original route through Calgary, otherwise I could have given you a Gliding ride.

Jan Olieslagers
6th Jun 2022, 15:47
if you want to cross the Goitek viaduct
Probably meant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goteik_viaduct which does look impressive, if not outright fearsome.

cavuman1
6th Jun 2022, 23:47
Before my (sainted) mother discovered the miracle combination of Valium and Top Shelf Kentucky bourbon, she insisted that we travel via train. She had been engaged to Frank Hershey (Yep, the chocolate family), who had suffered a failed launch from his aircraft carrier in 1944; he was overrun by the ship and killed. That put Mom off flying for a very long time, though it should have put her off steam catapults instead.

We would travel aboard the Seaboard Coastline/Southern Crescent, leaving New York’s Grand Central station in the afternoon and arriving in Atlanta’s Brookwood station the next morning. We would charter a drawing room – two sleepers separated by a small living room – luxury it its best. The staff – conductors, porters, attendants – were immensely pleasant and the food was superb! The views of cities, villages, and countryside were fascinating and hypnotic. We made that journey ten times.

Years later, after she’d gobbled a couple of benzodiazepines and a belt or three of bourbon, I drove over to chauffeur my mother to Hartsfield, where she would board her flight to Rome. She was going through her jewelry box, deciding what to wear on her journey. My eye caught the radiance of a particularly large diamond solitaire which I had never seen her wear. I asked about it. She said it was the ring Frank Hershey, on bended knee, had given her when he proposed. It was 10 carats.

Then, as they do, more years rushed by and I found myself shoulder to shoulder with Robert and Graham Claytor in the cab of #611, the same massive steam locomotive which had headed the Crescent on many of our journeys. That took my breath away as much as my mother’s ring….

- Ed

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/845x550/611_at_speed_9e56b28b8583d6f66ecb0f88466a260b52359af8.jpg

Piper.Classique
7th Jun 2022, 09:48
PC,

You should definitely read this page before booking:

https://www.thislifeintrips.com/10-things-about-via-the-canadian-train/

it’s a shame The Canadian no longer travels its original route through Calgary, otherwise I could have given you a Gliding ride.
No big surprises there, apart from no windows in the upper bunks. I did consider the private train but decided I would rather spend the money on flying. It's a holiday, I can be tolerant about delays. Pity about the glider ride, though!

treadigraph
7th Jun 2022, 15:37
Sounds marvellous... friends of mine did the rail bit across Canada to Vancouver about 40 years ago and loved it. I had 15 mins in a floatplane Cub and loved that...

Piper.Classique
7th Jun 2022, 16:28
Probably meant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goteik_viaduct which does look impressive, if not outright fearsome.
I did. I'm not good at spelling

Jan Olieslagers
7th Jun 2022, 16:49
Thanks, and no worries! At least you have lived long enough in France to take a relative look at things - which cannot be said for everybody ;).