PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Jubilee Fly Past

Nil_Drift
2nd Jun 2022, 12:59
Well Done to all the aircrew, supervisors and authorisers of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee Fly Past. Well executed, spot on timing and safely flown.

The two outstanding things for me: the roar of the Merlin engines from the BBMF and an excellent 70 formation from the Typhoons.

Brought back memories of when I was privileged to carry the standard for 30 Sqn at the 75th anniversary of the RAF and the Red Arrows flew a 75 formation.

The RAF might be the junior Service, but what we do, we do very well!

MPN11
2nd Jun 2022, 13:07
Fully agree on the Flypast. The 70 was VERY well done.

And the Parade was noticeably better than recent years. Excellent dressing, drill and timing all round.

God Bless our gracious Queen.

charliegolf
2nd Jun 2022, 13:28
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Her absence from Horseguards was sad, obvs; but more than compensated for by the march down (up?) the Mall for the troops to say, "Hi Boss".

CG

Dave Roome
2nd Jun 2022, 13:34
Great work by all three services involved in the flypast, but why oh why can't the BBC comment accurately? Huw Edwards made an absolute horlicks of the entire flypast, ignoring the Texans, describing the C-17/A400 as 'Poseidon', and even getting the number of Spitfires and Lightnings wrong! Give the job to a proper professional!

bobward
2nd Jun 2022, 13:40
GIve HE a break Mr Roome. He's only being paid a paltry £120k for reading an autocue........

Timelord
2nd Jun 2022, 14:08
HE always has a retired Guards Officer alongside him for the parade to keep him straight. Why not have someone who knows a C17 from a P8 with him for the fly past?

Very well done to everyone though, a great morning to watch on TV, sorry I couldn’t be in London.

Parson
2nd Jun 2022, 14:08
GIve HE a break Mr Roome. He's only being paid a paltry £120k for reading an autocue........

His autocue wasn't very accurate.....

Underfoot
2nd Jun 2022, 14:10
Well Done to all the aircrew, supervisors and authorisers of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee Fly Past. Well executed, spot on timing and safely flown.

The two outstanding things for me: the roar of the Merlin engines from the BBMF and an excellent 70 formation from the Typhoons.

Brought back memories of when I was privileged to carry the standard for 30 Sqn at the 75th anniversary of the RAF and the Red Arrows flew a 75 formation.

The RAF might be the junior Service, but what we do, we do very well!

Let's not forget the ground crew... An incredible effort getting all of those aircraft, plus spares, ready for the flypast.

punkieys17
2nd Jun 2022, 14:16
Well I dont get it. Like many we studied the zoomable maps to see a fly past........2 aircraft went past over the route at Chertsey in Surrey. A flock of helicopters then went sounth of the route by some 2 to 3 miles, disappointing the crowd that had gathered on the playing fields directly below the flight path. Given the lack of accuracy one can ony believe Ukraine would be in danger if we sent our flyboys.....

OldBonaMate
2nd Jun 2022, 14:25
Sorry Bobward, try £425k + for HE.
I fully agree thatt his presentation was dreadful!

Timelord
2nd Jun 2022, 14:38
Well I dont get it. Like many we studied the zoomable maps to see a fly past........2 aircraft went past over the route at Chertsey in Surrey. A flock of helicopters then went sounth of the route by some 2 to 3 miles, disappointing the crowd that had gathered on the playing fields directly below the flight path. Given the lack of accuracy one can ony believe Ukraine would be in danger if we sent our flyboys.....

Re routing due to weather, or to make up / loose time or for any one of a number of reasons to make the Buckingham Palace datum on track on time, which they did perfectly. Sadly your playing field was not their priority, actually, not even part of their task. No need to insult the crews.

Cat Techie
2nd Jun 2022, 14:58
Re routing due to weather, or to make up / loose time or for any one of a number of reasons to make the Buckingham Palace datum on track on time, which they did perfectly. Sadly your playing field was not their priority. No need to insult the crews.

Indeed, routes may have been needed to be changed for timings etc. Only important thing was aircraft in the right place at the right time over central London. Well done to all the guys (and girls) flying and all the groundcrews/ops and others at the various Stations to generate the formations. 70 was good, did look a little bumpy out there, great skills.

2Planks
2nd Jun 2022, 15:06
Great job by all involved.

I don't think Huw Edwards was helped by the chopping and changing the Director was doing, at times the flicking between the differing sources was airsick inducing. If he'd stuck to a single camera together with a shot of the balcony it would have been better all round. That said, an RAF expert to assist/narrate would have covered all the bases.

Cat Techie
2nd Jun 2022, 15:08
Great job by all involved.

I don't think Huw Edwards was helped by the chopping and changing the Director was doing, at times the flicking between the differing sources was airsick inducing. If he'd stuck to a single camera together with a shot of the balcony it would have been better all round. That said, an RAF expert to assist/narrate would have covered all the bases.
Concur. The direction of filming of the flypast as usual by the BBC director was rubbish.

Null Orifice
2nd Jun 2022, 15:09
And his overuse of the word smart during the parade. Irritating automaton!

Timelord
2nd Jun 2022, 15:14
Concur. The direction of filming of the flypast as usual by the BBC director was rubbish.

Usually some of the best pictures come from the airborne camera. This time only the Hawks were captured. I wonder if that was director’s choice or some technical / human failure on the helicopter?

NutLoose
2nd Jun 2022, 15:30
One can only hope on to her 80th anniversary.

goldox
2nd Jun 2022, 15:32
Fully agree on the Flypast. The 70 was VERY well done.

According to Sky, the 70 symbol was made by the Red Arrows.
:ugh:

ACW599
2nd Jun 2022, 15:38
And on the BBC News website, the silhouette of the Texan shows a very pretty Harvard...

Quite why the media do such a lousy job with anything aviation-related beats me, and Huw Edwards's outrageous salary is totally beyond justification.

STENDEC North
2nd Jun 2022, 15:44
Re routing due to weather, or to make up / loose time or for any one of a number of reasons to make the Buckingham Palace datum on track on time, which they did perfectly. Sadly your playing field was not their priority, actually, not even part of their task. No need to insult the crews.

Totally agree, RAF did themselves proud today, well done everyone. Crews did a wonderful job of timing all of the various components, BZ.

gums
2nd Jun 2022, 16:08
Salute!

From a colonist, I don't see a good video here of the flyby from one of the many of the Queen's subjects regularly posting here.

Gums wonders....

uxb99
2nd Jun 2022, 16:13
Great flypast especially the 70. Just wish they would give the Guards a proper drill rifle. Those short rifles look awkward.
Sadly I'm the only house with bunting and flags out where I live.

Video Mixdown
2nd Jun 2022, 16:18
Totally agree, RAF did themselves proud today, well done everyone. Crews did a wonderful job of timing all of the various components, BZ.
​​​​​​On ADSB it was interesting to watch the various elements leave their holding points at exactly the right time to slot into the stream in the right place, like assembling a jigsaw. Congratulations to all concerned in the parade and flypast. Wonderful music too.

Nil_Drift
2nd Jun 2022, 17:18
Let's not forget the ground crew... An incredible effort getting all of those aircraft, plus spares, ready for the flypast.

Thanks for adding value, Underfoot. As an ex-Techie I'm aware of all that the groundcrew do and they deserve the praise too, but my comment was principally to acknowledge the ultimate presentation to Her Majesty.

I'm glad that with all the rules and regs of the day that nobody switched off any part of the display, particularly the BBMF.

RetiredBA/BY
2nd Jun 2022, 17:19
Well done to everyone. Must have been a bumpy ride with all that Cu around but that 70 was perfection !

charliegolf
2nd Jun 2022, 17:27
Only 3 posts before the whining about the commentary starts. Are the members of the OFC slowing down a bit? "Chunter chunter, Raymond Baxter's day, grumble grumble, harumph!"

CG

Dave Roome
2nd Jun 2022, 17:45
The formation flying was excellent and, having been very closely involved with several other major flypasts, I am also very well aware of all the hard work by the groundcrews, ATC and other agencies that made the event so impressive. All credit to them, but it's the great British public who are poorly served by our public service broadcaster, who HAVE done it well in the past (more recently than Richard Dimbleby, who I don't remember commentating on any flypast, even the 1953 Odiham one) but who seem no longer to care about accuracy - a disservice to those who worked hard today to produce the spectacle that it was.

langleybaston
2nd Jun 2022, 17:58
Did I count nine re[eat nine Reds? I thought they were a little down on members at the moment.

And Met, did a cracking job, didn't we?

charliegolf
2nd Jun 2022, 18:06
Did I count nine re[eat nine Reds? I thought they were a little down on members at the moment.

I think I read that for 'basic' flypast events, recent Reds will make up the nine.

CG

Video Mixdown
2nd Jun 2022, 18:18
Just wish they would give the Guards a proper drill rifle. Those short rifles look awkward.
I can't agree. They are well known for parades but they're first and foremost combat soldiers, and the weapon carried is a reminder of that.

DaveReidUK
2nd Jun 2022, 18:20
Sorry, but that sounds like it’s coming from someone who has zero concept of what goes on to put the formation over Buckingham Palace on time.

Apart from the fact that, had the formation stayed together as far as Surrey, it would have been carnage as the fast jets ploughed through the helos and the BBMF ...

All things considered, I think the OP and Chertsey had a narrow escape. :O

MPN11
2nd Jun 2022, 18:28
Why didn't they make Roome for someone who knows about such thing? Dave?

Saintsman
2nd Jun 2022, 18:44
Just out of interest, I believe that the 25th Jubilee flypast (RAF review at Finningley), the '25' was made up of 22 JPs. Times have certainly changed.

uxb99
2nd Jun 2022, 18:53

Differences in speed and keeping safe separation I would imagine.

Jackonicko
2nd Jun 2022, 18:57

Lucky that Red Ten and Red Eleven are up to keeping station for a simple flyby, eh?

BEagle
2nd Jun 2022, 18:59
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/783x508/70_2_7d8c51b540e934d4cc99c029855af4e498b1bdf1.jpg
As it was seen from Wanstead! Totally superb!!

Jackonicko
2nd Jun 2022, 19:08
The failure to issue actual maps showing where and when different elements were going to disperse - and their subsequent tracks - meant that it was always going to be a bit hit and miss what (if anything) you would see unless you positioned yourself on the run-in, up the Mall, or immediately behind the Palace (say in Grosvenor Gardens).

I'm glad that my other half suggested the latter - we had a great view.

We were glad that there were nine reds. Impressed by the rock solid '70' formation. Surprised to see six Lightnings in the air at once. And delighted to see one element flying past in such a 'Swift and Sure' manner.

Jackonicko
2nd Jun 2022, 19:17
I see that the Reds reduction from nine to seven has been admitted, but not explained:

"In 2022, the Red Arrows are performing aerobatics with a seven-aircraft formation, while the team’s major national flypasts, such as those marking official Jubilee events in London, are carried out using nine jets."

welshwaffu
2nd Jun 2022, 19:20
Here here Underfoot.
Never forget - while the drivers are seeing to the wenches, we're are seeing to the wrenches.

skua
2nd Jun 2022, 19:48
I watched from a corner of a wheat field in East Anglia, with no one else in sight. The countryside looked beautiful, and whilst the FJ crews would have been 100% faocussed on station keeping, maybe the odd soul in a heavy would have looked out and have been reminded what a wonderful country they are tasked with defending. The sub-formations were spaced out by 2 minutes of so, so possibly not as overwhelming as at the Mall, but the 70 was well done. Kept on thinking what a great effort by the techies, particularly to get so many Hawks into the air.....

TheFrenchConnection
2nd Jun 2022, 19:58
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1252x645/red_arrows_2022_mod_press_release__d70f3dd663aa876c52b32f351 0a26fbcb555caaf.jpg
All RAF and services were brilliant today & it's only day one ! of four.. TFC

TheFrenchConnection
2nd Jun 2022, 20:08
Hi again ,

Full Red Arrows Jubilee weekend and full Jubilee Flypast - information here ( Notams , Timings, Rehearsals, NATS ) ;

https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press22/platinumjubileeflypast2022.htm

https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press22/redarrowsschedule2022.htm

Enjoy :-) TFC.

Wycombe
2nd Jun 2022, 20:43
Was with the hoardes in St James Park and can attest it looked absolutely brilliant from there, with the "70" superb.

Interested that a Rivet Joint could be spared, considering how busy they must be at the moment. And 2 Voyagers, come to think of it.

treadigraph
2nd Jun 2022, 20:49
The failure to issue actual maps showing where and when different elements were going to disperse - and their subsequent tracks - meant that it was always going to be a bit hit and miss what (if anything) you would see unless you positioned yourself on the run-in, up the Mall, or immediately behind the Palace (say in Grosvenor Gardens).

I figured they'd start to disperse around Putney Bridge - I was wrong as they fanned out a mile or two short of us, but the view of the things we don't normally see at low level in Sarf Lunnun was good enough, bracketed as we were by the A400/C-17 just to the east and the P-8 and RC-135 just to the west! Wish the BBMF had been more within earshot though... All in all great stuff! Tick VG.

Stu666
2nd Jun 2022, 22:07
Interested that a Rivet Joint could be spared, considering how busy they must be at the moment. And 2 Voyagers, come to think of it.

Of the three Rivet Joints we have, I believe one is currently in the USA undergoing a refit/deep maintenance and has been for some time. Don't believe it is due back anytime soon, so all the more remarkable one was spared for the flypast.

Toadstool
3rd Jun 2022, 00:16
Of the three Rivet Joints we have, I believe one is currently in the USA undergoing a refit/deep maintenance and has been for some time. Don't believe it is due back anytime soon, so all the more remarkable one was spared for the flypast.

We are busy, more than we’ve ever been, but it’s an honour to be a part of this auspicious occasion. Back to work as usual after this.

Thank you to the engineers who made this happen

punkalouver
3rd Jun 2022, 00:24
All credit to them, but it's the great British public who are poorly served by our public service broadcaster, who HAVE done it well in the past (more recently than Richard Dimbleby, who I don't remember commentating on any flypast, even the 1953 Odiham one) but who seem no longer to care about accuracy - a disservice to those who worked hard today to produce the spectacle that it was.

I would think they are not as bad as our public broadcaster the kept on trying to bring up scandal and seemed to think that going back to imperial measurements is weaponizing politics.

Compass Call
3rd Jun 2022, 00:28
I know this is not aviation related.
What is the significance of an 82 gun salute??
Surely 70 or 96 would have been more appropriate?

Richard

Saint Jack
3rd Jun 2022, 01:16
I watched the RAF fly past here on Sky News, first came the rotary types - but where were the Chinooks? Agreed the flip-floppng of the director from one formation to another didn't help but I would have thought the Chinooks desereved attention. Otherwise a great effort - by the RAF, not Sky News.

Old-Duffer
3rd Jun 2022, 06:07
Those banging on about Hew Edwards might remember the very knowledgeable contributions of some years ago by Julian Tutt. Tutt was a former RAF Regt officer who was once the Queen's Colour Bearer for a tour on QCS.

I understand that he might have had some issues with the BBC and don't know where he is now (somebody said local radio in Bath).

Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, who is very experienced in Royal issues, was a good choice o comment on the Trooping.

Pity there were no tanks in the parade to rumble over the silly animal rights protesters but the Met was swiftly on the case!
Old Duffer

Cortisol Depleted
3rd Jun 2022, 06:30
I thought Huw and the were visuals out of synch? He may have been looking at what he correctly identified but the director was doing other things.

charliegolf
3rd Jun 2022, 06:40
I thought Huw and the were visuals out of synch? He may have been looking at what he correctly identified but the director was doing other things.

Public Warning: bringing common sense to the table will result in a ban. You've been warned!:ok:

CG

DaveO70
3rd Jun 2022, 07:24
I noticed (looking at the ADSB feed) that when the fast jets came over the coast one of them turned back / away... I can't fathom why... none seemed to be missing, but then why would an extra one have been sent!

MPN11
3rd Jun 2022, 07:48
Airborne spare, I would assume.

BEagle
3rd Jun 2022, 07:49
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x463/70_3_557b05b6756df0e8958249df8926736d5fda48db.jpg

BBMF over Wanstead!

rcsa
3rd Jun 2022, 07:51
Seriously, chaps - HE was sitting in a windowless room, with a list of aircraft provided by the RAF and filtered by a producer, with monitors showing five or six different camera angles, while a director made independent decisions on which camera view to broadcast, and echelons of aircraft came overhead at 200 knots. He possibly had no idea what the broadcast output was showing at that moment. And he's a TV personality, not ex-aircrew or a spotter. He'd been live for over two hours, on what may well be the biggest show of the year, with a guest in the studio to engage with.

It's probably not as tough as flying an inverted Buccaneer at 20 ft around the Glens, as you gents have all done, but it's not easy; and using this error to slag off the BBC tells more about your own political agenda than it does about HE's ability.

DuncanDoenitz
3rd Jun 2022, 07:53
I noticed (looking at the ADSB feed) that when the fast jets came over the coast one of them turned back / away... I can't fathom why... none seemed to be missing, but then why would an extra one have been sent!
Marshal//chase?

BrianTrousers
3rd Jun 2022, 08:08

That was where the whip left us in 2005 when I flew in the QBF. His parting call was “weather looks terrible between here and London- Good luck”. we made it though :)

BEagle
3rd Jun 2022, 08:11
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/405x292/70_6_2c123a1e91e35eab9aeb73cdea00a62874f051b5.jpg

Voyager, F-35B x 2 and Typhoon x 2.

Frame from a 3 sec Skype video clip!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/448x248/70_5_7138b3938f3583de5cea911666efb49aa2be6e6a.jpg
Voyager + F-35B x 4

Obba
3rd Jun 2022, 08:17
Some behinds the footage here - great work by the ground teams...

Red Arrows & BBMF: View from inside the cockpit for Platinum Jubilee flypast - YouTube

kghjfg
3rd Jun 2022, 08:28
The failure to issue actual maps showing where and when different elements were going to disperse

That wasn’t a failure,

That was a security measure, I once worked with a person who was involved in the XR “shut the airports” drone debacle. (He was an XR Lieutenant, Yes, they give themselves military ranks)

it was a well planned drone terrorist attack, foiled by intelligence.

XR or Insulate Britain or Stop Oil would have gone for the flypast.

They may have done so anyway, have you not noticed all the GPS Jamming going on?

There’s more than a few animal rights activists trying to disrupt the jubilee.

Timelord
3rd Jun 2022, 09:14
Seriously, chaps - HE was sitting in a windowless room, with a list of aircraft provided by the RAF and filtered by a producer, with monitors showing five or six different camera angles, while a director made independent decisions on which camera view to broadcast, and echelons of aircraft came overhead at 200 knots. He possibly had no idea what the broadcast output was showing at that moment. And he's a TV personality, not ex-aircrew or a spotter. He'd been live for over two hours, on what may well be the biggest show of the year, with a guest in the studio to engage with.

It's probably not as tough as flying an inverted Buccaneer at 20 ft around the Glens, as you gents have all done, but it's not easy; and using this error to slag off the BBC tells more about your own political agenda than it does about HE's ability.

All true no doubt. But the point of a TV commentary is to explain and amplify the pictures we are seeing. If that explanation is wrong, whatever the reason, then it is a cause for legitimate criticism from those who pay for the service.

Union Jack
3rd Jun 2022, 10:38
All true no doubt. But the point of a TV commentary is to explain and amplify the pictures we are seeing. If that explanation is wrong, whatever the reason, then it is a cause for legitimate criticism from those who pay for the service.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"! I'm definitely with Rcsa.:ok:

Jack

Sleeve Wing
3rd Jun 2022, 11:06
Fortunately it was a good day although a bit lumpy over the city.
A good effort by everyone involved from the sharp end to the techies ....... and the 70 formation was a delight.
I'd like to thank particularly the Typhoons for flying straight over White Waltham on departure, as promised.
Quite neat when everyone is relaxing after the sweat of getting it just right for the previous half an hour. Thank you.
Makes you proud

ZH875
3rd Jun 2022, 11:14

possibly a serviceable airborne spare in case one of the jets goes u/s

DaveReidUK
3rd Jun 2022, 11:52
There were 72 aircraft, rather than the advertised 70, over the Palace. Hopefully HM wasn't counting ...

wondering
3rd Jun 2022, 12:03
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/783x508/70_2_7d8c51b540e934d4cc99c029855af4e498b1bdf1.jpg
As it was seen from Wanstead! Totally superb!!

The left Typhoon is clearly too far ahead. Or the other two Typhoon next to it too far behind.

charliegolf
3rd Jun 2022, 12:08
The left Typhoon is clearly too far ahead. Or the other two Typhoon next to it too far behind.

That's because HMTQ writes her 7s with a little downstroke at the beginning. Do check before posting!:ok:

CG

Dominator2
3rd Jun 2022, 12:33
I thought that the flypast was superb.
As for wondering The left Typhoon is clearly too far ahead. Or the other two Typhoon next to it too far behind.. All I can say is "have you ever tried to fly line abreast for a long time?

Might be my imagination but all waves appeared to be angled off about 3 degrees from the North. In its self not too significant, however, it does make a difference in the photographs. Have the planners got the run-in track absolutely correct?

Timelord
3rd Jun 2022, 12:42
I think one of the most impressive things about the fly past was how they (everybody involved) achieved those numbers and that standard given how busy we know some fleets are over Central Europe.

Top West 50
3rd Jun 2022, 12:52
Here is one we did earlier:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/jet_provost_t_mk_5_e488eb0b7689b4f69cb3c4742a9111c5f200b441. jpg

Gordon Brown
3rd Jun 2022, 13:00
Dave 070

That will have been the 'Whip'; responsible for advising the pilots:

"Number two, forward 5 feet, Number 7 left 10 feet" etc.

The airborne spares would probably have RTB once the formation pushed from the hold.

(Oh, and just curious, but why does just about EVERY thread on this forum descend into a sub-branch of Aviation History & Nostalgia within 24 hours?)

Top West 50
3rd Jun 2022, 13:05
Because nostalgia is all that's left.

ACW599
3rd Jun 2022, 13:11

No it doesn't. It says something about the quite reasonable expectations people have of the BBC for reliability and accuracy, especially in view of the inordinately high payments made to its "personalities".

I spent much of my professional life with the BBC as a continuity announcer, which sometimes involved officiating at live radio OBs. They're not remotely difficult and I didn't have (or require) producers and directors to assist.

charliegolf
3rd Jun 2022, 13:47

Even that's not as it used to be.

CG

DuncanDoenitz
3rd Jun 2022, 14:03
That's because HMTQ writes her 7s with a little downstroke at the beginning. Do check before posting!:ok:

CG
Amazing. Right number, the correct way around, and someone criticises the font. What do you want - Times New Roman?

MPN11
3rd Jun 2022, 14:11
No it doesn't. It says something about the quite reasonable expectations people have of the BBC for reliability and accuracy, especially in view of the inordinately high payments made to its "personalities".

I spent much of my professional life with the BBC as a continuity announcer, which sometimes involved officiating at live radio OBs. They're not remotely difficult and I didn't have (or require) producers and directors to assist.

Ahh, so that's you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijNCV_JWMs

simmy
3rd Jun 2022, 14:16
I bet punkieyes doesn't" get much" with that sort of remark about our forces. I flew a Vulcan on a couple of Birthday Flypasts and when she was flown around the country on "the Last Flight" my wife insisted that we should position ourselves to see it go by! It didn't...it was off route by a mile or so to possibly acknowledge friends in a nearby village. Am I too late to whinge about it?

DaveReidUK
3rd Jun 2022, 14:44
Might be my imagination but all waves appeared to be angled off about 3 degrees from the North. In its self not too significant, however, it does make a difference in the photographs. Have the planners got the run-in track absolutely correct?

"3 degrees from the North" ?

Are you suggesting they didn't overfly the Palace, or that they approached from the wrong direction ?

MPN11
3rd Jun 2022, 14:53
They seemed, from that video, to be a bit to the right of The Mall. But then what is the planned alignment?

Dominator2
3rd Jun 2022, 14:58
DaveReidUK Are you suggesting they didn't overfly the Palace, or that they approached from the wrong direction ?

Dave, I am suggesting that as you sit at Buckingham Palace and look down the Mall towards Admiralty Arch all of the aircraft appear from slightly left of centre. This would indicate that the IP or previous turn point is not perfectly inline with the Mall.

Audax
3rd Jun 2022, 16:14
When Linton flew an 80 over RIAT the formation was 21 plus airborne spares.

When we did E II R over Portsmouth, can’t recall the actual number in the formation but it was mid 30s, quite exciting down the back end (wasn’t it Del Boy!).

DaveReidUK
3rd Jun 2022, 16:27
Dave, I am suggesting that as you sit at Buckingham Palace and look down the Mall towards Admiralty Arch all of the aircraft appear from slightly left of centre. This would indicate that the IP or previous turn point is not perfectly inline with the Mall.

My take on it is that the formation flew parallel to, but very slightly north of, the Mall and overflew the wing of the Palace closest to Constitution Hill.

If you look at the two Voyagers' tracks on FR24, from Colchester onwards the inbound track was 236°T to match the orientation of the Mall, so I don't see any evidence of a 3° divergence.

Audax
3rd Jun 2022, 16:34
Been racking what’s left of my brains about the Linton EIIR. I think we took 36 airframes, 33 flyers of which 3 were airborne spares plus 3 ground spares.

H Peacock
3rd Jun 2022, 16:42
Been racking what’s left of my brains about the Linton EIIR. I think we took 36 airframes, 33 flyers of which 3 were airborne spares plus 3 ground spares.

Almost: E = 10. II = 10, R = 11. So 31 in the actual formation

Nil_Drift
3rd Jun 2022, 17:01
I bet punkieyes doesn't" get much" with that sort of remark about our forces. I flew a Vulcan on a couple of Birthday Flypasts and when she was flown around the country on "the Last Flight" my wife insisted that we should position ourselves to see it go by! It didn't...it was off route by a mile or so to possibly acknowledge friends in a nearby village. Am I too late to whinge about it?

My immediate thought is "No, you're not too late". I think that you are entitled to go on a destructive, mindless rampage, demand the removal of the word Vulcan from any street sign, ask for an apology from ancestors of A V Roe, and mess up people's way of life in an extremely selfish way. Oh, and there must be financial compensation, surely?

Or is that only certain people who do that?

oldmansquipper
3rd Jun 2022, 17:21
Even that's not as it used to be.

CG

Another view is that it’s (nostalgia) definitely a thing of the past…

Poor commentary? You betcha…GB News clip congratulated the red arrows in their F35s….

not that I give a damn about such apathy.

Pozidrive
3rd Jun 2022, 18:35
DaveReidUK

It's a deliberate offset to give all those on the Balcony a perfect view.

DaveReidUK
3rd Jun 2022, 18:42
It's a deliberate offset to give all those on the Balcony a perfect view.

Ah, right. Would that be the royals on the LHS of the balcony, those on the RHS, or HM in the middle ?

Bill Macgillivray
3rd Jun 2022, 20:26
Having done a couple (many years ago!) I thought that this was pretty good! Timeing good, tracking good and formation pretty good! Well done everyone involved - and I mean everyone!

Bill

oldmansquipper
3rd Jun 2022, 21:03
Watched GB News clip on the fly past (yea, yea, I know:rolleyes:) and was somewhat shocked to hear the presented chappy say:

”……here are the red arrows in the F35s” as a couple of 4 engined heavies blotted out the sun.

Cat Techie
3rd Jun 2022, 22:31
Watched GB News clip on the fly past (yea, yea, I know:rolleyes:) and was somewhat shocked to hear the presented chappy say:

”……here are the red arrows in the F35s” as a couple of 4 engined heavies blotted out the sun.
Seriously, anyone watching that channel has no taste in watching high definition TV (405 Lines was clearer that the picture) and everything said by the people on that channel is as bent as a nine bob note. As you have just mentioned. You believe the rest of the rubbish said on that Russian sponsored channel?

Cat Techie
3rd Jun 2022, 22:32
Having done a couple (many years ago!) I thought that this was pretty good! Timeing good, tracking good and formation pretty good! Well done everyone involved - and I mean everyone!

Bill

Concur Bill, the 70 formation had a bit of bumpy air coming in but adjusted to it.

megan
4th Jun 2022, 02:43
Lay in bed and watched the entire broadcast, always find the Brit pageantry a class act. Well done all, the entire gamut, not just the RAF. :D :ok: Question tho, why the Reds with speed brake extended through out?

Megaton
4th Jun 2022, 06:21
Question tho, why the Reds with speed brake extended through out?

Higher thrust so more bleed air to pressurise the smoke system giving stronger, more consistent trail?

kenparry
4th Jun 2022, 06:51
Arrows airbrake use: isn't it to push up the RPM to improve throttle response?

Fortissimo
4th Jun 2022, 06:51
Higher thrust so more bleed air to pressurise the smoke system giving stronger, more consistent trail?

Or higher drag so higher thrust for same IAS, which would put the engine rpm into a more responsive range so more precise forward movement. Higher drag would also help with quicker rearward movement.

AnglianAV8R
4th Jun 2022, 07:44

It's just not the same any more

treadigraph
4th Jun 2022, 11:27
Question tho, why the Reds with speed brake extended through out?
One of the friends I was with on Putney Bridge asked a question in the pub afterwards; "why did the fighters have their wheels down?" Well I hadn't noticed that, when questioned he amended it to "front wheels". Eh? Another friend produced his camera and we had a look. Ahhhhhhh! It was the the Typhoons which passed to the west of us, their right hand canards were visible underneath the nose!

57mm
4th Jun 2022, 12:53
Good to see that the Reds came up with 9 aircraft, bearing in mind recent events.....

Timelord
4th Jun 2022, 13:00
On a slightly drifting note, during one of the “fill in” bits on TV with Ms Wark, Sir Stu Peach referred to HM as Commander in Chief of the armed forces. Is that right? Is that new? Is that wrong? I have only ever heard her described as “head” which is subtly different.

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2022, 14:37
According to Sky, the 70 symbol was made by the Red Arrows.
:ugh:

Of course… we should have realised…all fifteen of them :ugh:

H Peacock
4th Jun 2022, 20:16
Good to see that the Reds came up with 9 aircraft, bearing in mind recent events.....

Well it’s not airframes they are short of, although another birdstrike just after the event in the Midlands.

Glad to see Monty hasn't lost it; references nailed even though he’s on a ground tour!

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
5th Jun 2022, 13:13
My take on it is that the formation flew parallel to, but very slightly north of, the Mall and overflew the wing of the Palace closest to Constitution Hill.

If you look at the two Voyagers' tracks on FR24, from Colchester onwards the inbound track was 236°T to match the orientation of the Mall, so I don't see any evidence of a 3° divergence.
I've noticed that, at a couple of TTC flypasts that I've attended previously. There is a very obvious explantion of why this is deliberate, which I'm not going to describe here.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
5th Jun 2022, 13:17
Or higher drag so higher thrust for same IAS, which would put the engine rpm into a more responsive range so more precise forward movement. Higher drag would also help with quicker rearward movement.
I've heard that same explanation given previously.

Dan Winterland
5th Jun 2022, 15:04
Arrows airbrake use: isn't it to push up the RPM to improve throttle response?

Higher thrust = more smoke in the Red's case.

Bob Viking
5th Jun 2022, 15:14
I’m sure I recall someone telling me that the disturbed airflow behind the airbrake also helps to make the smoke trail bloom more. Not sure if that’s a genuine reason or not but it seems feasible to me.

BV

CARR30
6th Jun 2022, 06:15

The commentator's job is to comment on what viewers are seeing adding context and information.

Anyone can read a script out of sync with the video. What's actually required for the job is someone who watches the broadcast stream and knows their stuff. That someone was not Huw Edwards.

WHBM
6th Jun 2022, 16:09
It's probably not as tough as flying an inverted Buccaneer at 20 ft around the Glens, as you gents have all done, .
He appears to be paid a sight more, though; we wonder why ...

charliegolf
6th Jun 2022, 16:53
He appears to be paid a sight more, though; we wonder why ...

Had he done it for free, would the whining be less, then?

CG

OvertHawk
7th Jun 2022, 14:51
Had he done it for free, would the whining wold be less, then?

CG

Nooooooooo.

It would have been more because he would have been deriving someone who knew how to do it of paid work!!

(And then someone else would have complained about you saying "for free" instead of "free" or "for nothing"! :ok:)

fallmonk
7th Jun 2022, 17:07
Excuse my ignorance, but has any aircraft from the commonwealth air forces ever taken part in one the flypast to celebrate in one of the Queens anniversary's?

Wokkafans
7th Jun 2022, 17:53
Excuse my ignorance, but has any aircraft from the commonwealth air forces ever taken part in one the flypast to celebrate in one of the Queens anniversary's?

Canadian Sabres and Australian Vampires were part of the fly past for the 1953 RAF Coronation Review. The static display also included Australian Meteors and a New Zealand Bristol Freighter,

A list of participants is here: https://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/nos10.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haEe5KfxvUg (https://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/nos10.html)

charliegolf
7th Jun 2022, 18:16
(And then someone else would have complained about you saying "for free" instead of "free" or "for nothing"! :ok:)

On,' watching it back'*, I see I butchered the entire post!

CG
*one that really grips my whatsit!

MPN11
7th Jun 2022, 18:19
… amd whimper!

Did the Kiwi Bristol Frightener fly to UK? Or walk? 🤠

Pearly White
8th Jun 2022, 07:32
I think the typographical term for what you're seeing there is a "serif".

Asturias56
8th Jun 2022, 07:33
there were some great pictures of the 1953 parade in History & nostalgia a month or so back

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1538/raf_coro_display_f4_57d828ceb5c9e8a4d81d3a9bb437b47fa0999635 .jpg

mickjoebill
8th Jun 2022, 10:54
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1440x1517/screenshot_20220602_215201_2_d1c8a4ed02661366b0d4c6f5757c172 457ba7272.png
Jolly good show.

Null Orifice
8th Jun 2022, 10:56
Nice picture! Makes me feel really ancient, having worked on at least four of the types depicted - but wasn't in the RAF at that time.

Pearly White
8th Jun 2022, 11:00
there were some great pictures of the 1953 parade in History & nostalgia a month or so back

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1538/raf_coro_display_f4_57d828ceb5c9e8a4d81d3a9bb437b47fa0999635 .jpg
This must have been very nearly the entire RAF fleet. What are the four-engined taildraggers in the left foreground, please?

VictorGolf
8th Jun 2022, 11:04
They're Handley Page Hastings, one of which is still to be seen in the Airspace building at Duxford. It was based to some extent I believe on the Halifax especially the wing. (Dons tin helmet for the incoming).

212man
8th Jun 2022, 11:45
Dons tin helmet for the incoming

Not required I would say!

VictorGolf
8th Jun 2022, 11:53
Thanks 212, that's re-assuring.

Davef68
8th Jun 2022, 12:20
This must have been very nearly the entire RAF fleet.

Probably not even one aircraft per squadron

Dan Gerous
8th Jun 2022, 12:40
Probably more aircraft in that photo than in the RAF now.

Bob Viking
8th Jun 2022, 13:53
Google suggests 479 aircraft in the current RAF inventory. So if you wish to count them in the picture you might be correct.

I would suggest that the current RAF inventory contains a good mixture of incredibly capable aircraft though. The same is probably not true of the photo above.

BV

Davef68
8th Jun 2022, 14:47
Google suggests 479 aircraft in the current RAF inventory. So if you wish to count them in the picture you might be correct.

I would suggest that the current RAF inventory contains a good mixture of incredibly capable aircraft though. The same is probably not true of the photo above.

BV

I think it was in the low 300s in the static and over 600 in the flypast. Some Commonwealth Air Forces too https://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/nos10.html

There was a book on the subject

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coronation-Wings-Machines-Review-Odiham/dp/0951989960

They were capable for their time!

Bob Viking
8th Jun 2022, 15:34
They were capable for their time!

Of course they were. But times change. As an example, instead of a whole squadron dropping a couple of bombs each to damage a target, you can now have one jet drop one bomb and destroy a target. And that jet can carry a few of those bombs.

I know where this conversation will end up though so I’ll leave it there.

BV

teeteringhead
8th Jun 2022, 16:08
And IIRC all the aircraft were UK (and possibly Germany?) based. And we had a lot more further afield in them days.

MPN11
8th Jun 2022, 19:24
Oh, guys, the World and Technology and Capability have moved on since then. There is no point in comparing then and now. I used to write stuff in the 70s to assorted Commands and overseas Air Forces. Was it 12 Commands? And 5 Air Forces?

It’s irrelevant … yes, it’s a lovely nostalgic photo of a great event back in the old days. And in 2022 all those assets coukd be wasted in a modern combat scenario in minutes.

mopardave
8th Jun 2022, 19:30
Oh, guys, the World and Technology and Capability have moved on since then. There is no point in comparing then and now. I used to write stuff in the 70s to assorted Commands and overseas Air Forces. Was it 12 Commands? And 5 Air Forces?

It’s irrelevant … yes, it’s a lovely nostalgic photo of a great event back in the old days. And in 2022 all those assets coukd be wasted in a modern combat scenario in minutes.
You can't beat a little nostalgia......and it really is a fabulous photo.:ok:

MPN11
8th Jun 2022, 19:42
You can't beat a little nostalgia......and it really is a fabulous photo.:ok:
yes indeed … despite the canopy covers and the NAAFI van! :ok:

mopardave
9th Jun 2022, 07:37
yes indeed … despite the canopy covers and the NAAFI van! :ok:
But surely the NAAFI van is the heartbeat of the operation?

Asturias56
9th Jun 2022, 08:17
For the record it isn' my picture gents - I can't find the thread in History & Nostalgia to give you the authors name ut I agree - an amazing shot

airsound
9th Jun 2022, 19:23
Apologies for being late to the party - but I’ve only just caught up with the thread.

I have some experience of commentating at these events, including actually flying over Buck House in the Lancaster and reporting live on Radio 4, as part of the BoB 50th anniversary flypast in 1990.

As far as Huw Edwards’ was concerned, I noted that he fell into exactly the trap that I had tried to warn the MoD Chief Comms Officer (Events) about beforehand. I suggested that when the tv director keeps changing the aircraft in vision, so that they don’t appear in flypast order, the inexpert observer doesn’t know which aircraft it is that they’re looking at!

As it often does, that happened on Thursday, when the director chose to show the three Hercs of Wave 7 before the Phenom and four Texans of Wave 6. But Edwards lost the plot, despite the fact that we saw Wave 6 a few seconds later. He then misidentified the big transports of Wave 8 for the surveillance aircraft of Wave 9. Those were his most serious mistakes, but they could have been prevented, with expert help. And with such help, he might not have made his other errors.

I’ve pointed this out to MoD Events, and also to BBC Events, and suggested they that they could and should do better another time. Indeed, they have done better in the past - with Sophie Raworth on BBC1 in 2018 for the (bigger) RAF 100 flypast, when she was ably assisted by OC Coningsby, Air Cdre Mark Chappell.

Whether they (Beeb or MoD) will pay the slightest attention, who knows?…..

Btw, I thought the flypast itself was brilliant. And how excellent that they chose to do the ’70’ with front line fighters….

airsound

VictorGolf
10th Jun 2022, 16:41
Plus one for Sophie Raworth. She did an excellent series at Duxford and also went flying at Stow Maries which is a hidden gem of a WW1 airfield. Not forgetting a terrific effort on a D-Day anniversary with "feeds" coming at her from several sites.

Tankertrashnav
10th Jun 2022, 23:39
They're Handley Page Hastings, one of which is still to be seen in the Airspace building at Duxford. (In answer to the question about the "taildraggers" in the 1953 photo).

In addition there is one at the Newark Aircraft Museum. Its a T5 which was previously at Lindholme on the Strike Command Bombing School, used for training V Force nav radars. On open days, etc you can look around for a small charge. I was horrified to see that they had altered the interior of the aircraft by moving the student navs' seats nearer to the table. I certainly didnt recall having any problems squeezing into my seat 40 years earlier!

airsound
11th Jun 2022, 13:02
My first tour was on the excellent Hastings with 24 Sqn at Colerne. The Hasty-bird did evoke the odd comment as we trundled round the world. I well remember a USAF dispatcher at Lajes in the Azores, where we'd stopped for 100-octane, sayingSay, you ain't takin that ass-draggin, milk-suckin, four-motored Goony-bird across the Pond, are ya?"Yup", we said - "Sheesh" was his response

And off we roared for Gander, Newfoundland

airsound

sycamore
11th Jun 2022, 13:26
And heard in the Tower at Ottawa,whilst our AAEE Hasty arrived;`
`What is a Hastings,anyway...?
`It`s something like a 4-engined `Gooney-bird`.
`Geez man..that`s beyond the `fringe`..!

Thud_and_Blunder
11th Jun 2022, 20:19
Thanks, airsound, for the sensible assessment of the reasons for the suboptimal BBC commentary.
`It`s something like a 4-engined `Gooney-bird`.
My Dad had the good fortune to go from Hastings at Lyneham to an exchange tour with the RCAF on their own version of the "4-engine Gooney Bird", the North Star (a Canadair-built DC4 with Merlin engines) - unfortunately, the longer engines put the props exactly in line with the pilots' seats, which led to the start of the tinnitus which plagued him thereafter.

steamchicken
11th Jun 2022, 20:46
There's a Hastings at the Allied Museum in Berlin. Handsome beast, and although they were only ready for the last couple of months of the airlift they contributed a startlingly large percentage of the UK contribution through some function of (capacity, speed, all-weather capability, serviceability)

Wig Wag
13th Jun 2022, 09:12
Closest we could get was Hyde Park but it was still very impressive:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1077x731/bbmf_jubilee_2022_3390b24af258ef083e80d5a4f18e1ebd787f7c2a.j pg

MPN11
13th Jun 2022, 09:13
Very nice photo ... the sun on the wings and the clouds really make it "Tick VG"

Wig Wag
13th Jun 2022, 09:14
Thank you!

treadigraph
13th Jun 2022, 09:37
Very nice photo ... the sun on the wings and the clouds really make it "Tick VG"

Agreed - perfect!

H Peacock
13th Jun 2022, 10:17
Ahh, a Top-side pass!

Shame there’s not a better way to keep the inside of the Lanc cool, she always looks somewhat better with the 2 upper hatches fitted?

Mactlsm1
13th Jun 2022, 16:42
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1766x1187/ag0a1315_pg_a59d0cd37ae327fc0b23c022e120d3269466851c.jpg
Sorry to intrude- we didn't get aything better on the Shack - Just a bit more detail on the hatches. Mac

treadigraph
13th Jun 2022, 17:21
H Peacock and Mactism1 - one lives and learns, watched the Lancaster display countless times over 45+ years and I never knew they did that with the hatches!

DaveReidUK
13th Jun 2022, 18:07
That's what Photoshop was invented for. :O

ETOPS
13th Jun 2022, 20:33
I've just seen a couple of videos showing an unusual object flying over the the Red Arrows as they approached the Mall during the fly past. Firstly - this was described as a "UAP" not a "UFO" and secondly - the videos were recorded simultaneously by seperate camerman. One was on the ground near Buckingham Palace and the other was the SKY TV helicopter over the Thames but shooting the same scene. I'm thinking this might be the first time such an event was independently photographed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q--AnwEmlvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edLVoNJNw3Y

Fancy a Tic Tac ?

Davef68
13th Jun 2022, 23:28
Of course they were. But times change. As an example, instead of a whole squadron dropping a couple of bombs each to damage a target, you can now have one jet drop one bomb and destroy a target. And that jet can carry a few of those bombs.

I know where this conversation will end up though so I’ll leave it there.

BV

You'll not get any argument on that from me! :-)