PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Missile Launch Video from Airliner

punkalouver
1st Jun 2022, 19:08
Cathay Pacific flight drastically changes course to avoid ballistic missile fired from Chinese submarine - Aviation24.be (https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/cathay-pacific/flight-drastically-changes-course-to-avoid-ballistic-missile-fired-from-chinese-submarine/)

DaveReidUK
1st Jun 2022, 20:25
Airliner manages to avoid ballistic missile by manoeuvring? Hmmmm.

212man
2nd Jun 2022, 10:11
Airliner manages to avoid ballistic missile by manoeuvring? Hmmmm.
Why not? It's not targeting the aircraft, and takes quite a while to pass by from launching, so it's an avoidance manouevre rather than the evasion required to escape a SAM .

DaveReidUK
2nd Jun 2022, 11:04
Why not? It's not targeting the aircraft, and takes quite a while to pass by from launching, so it's an avoidance manouevre rather than the evasion required to escape a SAM .

Quite so. But a more accurate/less histrionic headline wouldn't have got as many hits ...

Klauss
4th Jun 2022, 03:08
Hi, i think it was too close - way too close. Missiles have gone off-course on occasion.

ATC Watcher
4th Jun 2022, 04:23
Hi, i think it was too close - way too close. Missiles have gone off-course on occasion.
Well one would need to see the border restricted area where this occurred and the position of the aircraft with regard to that boundary. Yes missiles veer off track and that could ( emphasis on could) explain the aggressive turn request by ATC.
in 1999 I was flying around Santa Barbara at a period when they were testing the Patriot intercepting ballistic missiles shot from in the nearby Vanderberg base at the time . You could have been flying closer than that. from a launch.

Magplug
5th Jun 2022, 09:49
Like the Chinese are so good at coordinating separation between civil aviation and military activities...... ???

albatross
5th Jun 2022, 19:00
Listening to the audio the crew doesn’t sound too concerned. Amazing they just happened. to have an Iphone camera pointed in the right direction at the right time.

WideScreen
6th Jun 2022, 05:14
Listening to the audio the crew doesn’t sound too concerned. Amazing they just happened. to have an Iphone camera pointed in the right direction at the right time.
I would not have been that concerned too. The moment you see such a missile, it's far too late to take any action, and also the missile already being far above you. Even a number #2 or #3 launched would not be avoidable, by an evasive action.

albatross
6th Jun 2022, 16:28
Met a guy who was flying a civilian helicopter in the Persian Gulf during Gulf War part Deux. They were most surprised when a USN Cruise missile zipped by from behind them close enough to, as he said, “Read the **$#* serial number.”
I asked how they knew it was a USN missile. He replied: “That’s what was printed on the side.”
No they didn’t get a “traffic alert!”

ATC Watcher
7th Jun 2022, 11:55
No they didn’t get a “traffic alert!” a cruise missile with a transponder would be nice :)
Just after 9/11 when Bush decided to bomb Afghansitan, a large number of cruise missiles overflew nicely the whole of Pakistani airspace whose ATC was not informed either and commercial airliners carry pax were flying that day.
in 1998 Clinton did the same in Sudan to bomb a pharmaceutical company in Khartoum, the 13 cruise missiles overflew a lot of civilian airsapce to get there too.
Wars are dirty .

albatross
7th Jun 2022, 18:08
a cruise missile with a transponder would be nice :)
Just after 9/11 when Bush decided to bomb Afghansitan, a large number of cruise missiles overflew nicely the whole of Pakistani airspace whose ATC was not informed either and commercial airliners carry pax were flying that day.
in 1998 Clinton did the same in Sudan to bomb a pharmaceutical company in Khartoum, the 13 cruise missiles overflew a lot of civilian airsapce to get there too.
Wars are dirty .

JOKE The Japanese failed to use their transponders during the Pearl Harbour Attack too. The FAA issued violations to all involved I am sure.JOKE OVER. Flying Magazine, years ago (very early 70s ) published a hilarious spoof of the FAA / Japanese comms…The tower had received neither a PPR request nor a flight plan. Tower, therefore refused clearance and put them in a holding pattern until they ran out of fuel thereby thwarting the attack.

BewareOfTheSharklets
15th Jun 2022, 09:28
Call me skeptical, but the fact that they seem to mention "Key West" in the video makes me think that this might actually be some Rocket Launch in Florida, not a ballistic missile launch in Asia. American accents too....

I could be wrong.