PDA

View Full Version : How do I go about renting an aircraft for a week?

Rusty Cessna
13th Mar 2001, 01:11
Hopefully, if weather permits, and after I have got a bit more experience, either this summer or next, I intend to rent an aircraft (preferably a 4 seater) from a FTO in the UK for approximately 5 days.

The Idea is to take the aircraft on a pre planned route around various airports in the UK. Hopefully completing around 15-20 hours and also spending some time actually looking at the places we fly to (there will be 4 people).

Now what I need to know is, do flying schools charge an actual rate for renting the aircraft and taking it away for 5 days or do they simply put a minimum flying time on the aircraft each day? Also where am I going to find the cheapest compromise for a 4 seater aircraft for 20 hours? Will this be a wet rate? and what are the average over night parking charges at airports?

I realise I would have to take in accommodation each night and food, parking and landing fees, but the other people coming have agreed to pay as much as is legally allowed under the cost share rules.

Thank you for your time,
Rusty

Speedbird 2946
13th Mar 2001, 01:58
Depending on how much they expect to be using them otherwise the FTO I was at would rent a/c to you for days at a time provided you flew/paid for at least three flying hours per day.

Have fun!!

SB

Sensible
13th Mar 2001, 03:31
My advice would be to try to rent an aircraft from the club where you did your PPL - if it's a UK school. It's always difficult to rent an aircraft to take away if the owner doesn't know you or your skills when you are low hours. Make certain you are up to the trip, a PA 28 with full fuel and passengers handles a lot differently than a 150 Cessna if that's what you are used to. Also, passengers can be a big distraction.

300hrWannaB
13th Mar 2001, 03:48
That's the traditional view. I've found that if you put your ear to the ground and do a bit of leg work, there are a few people willing to rent ou their planes. All they need is to have it on PTCoA, with Any Pilot insurance. My suggestions are the Engineering workshops at airfields. The guy at Oaksey has a 2 seater (phone no in Pooleys). I've come across others in the past. Of course the advantage is that such people aren't normally looking to achieve max utilisation.
Good luck.

Get_Involved!!
13th Mar 2001, 04:13
My club charges you for the hours you fly... however 15 to 20 hours in 5 to 7 days... you may have trouble getting clubs to agree.

Normally, at the time of year you are planning, a club's plane will do double that.

Phone flying clubs, and maybe even private owners/consortiums etc. If you get to go ahead.. you'll love it!