PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Harrier/AV-8B airfield in Scotland, NOTAMs?

Matthew Illsley
31st May 2022, 12:45
I apologise if this is in the wrong place. I will happily move it if it would be better placed elsewhere (or please would the admins move it if they wish?).

I am a researcher helping Dr David Clarke of Sheffield Hallam University investigate an alleged 1990 sighting of a Harrier/AV-8B alongside a still unidentified diamond-shaped craft.

The long story is here: https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/644967-alleged-ufo-uap-1990-calvine-scotland.html?highlight=calvine

The latest claim that's been made to us is that there was a temporary airfield on or near Glen Tilt in Scotland in August 1990, and that is where the Harrier/AV-8B flew from.

Some on PPRuNe therefore suggested that I should post on here.

Some people have objected that setting up such bases was difficult because of the associated vehicles, personnel, equipment, fuel, food, etc. that were all required, plus the necessary road links. And why would you do that in the UK when permanent bases exist from which to fly?

Other have said they believe this scenario to be unlikely, but that we would need to establish what NOTAMs existed in August 1990 to be sure. Red circles were apparently used to indicate secret operational sites as ordered by the Provost Marshal.

1. Can anyone hence please tell me if NOTAMs from that era were ever preserved in any way?
2. Does anyone know of any temporary airfields ever being operated in Scotland or elsewhere in the UK in the manner described, by UK or US forces?

Thank you

chevvron
31st May 2022, 13:09
Already discussed in the 'Military Aviation' section.
NB: The nomenclature was 'Provost Marshal Prohibited' and 'Provost Marshal Restricted' areas and they were only depicted on low level charts issued by AIDU.

Matthew Illsley
31st May 2022, 13:13
Already discussed in the 'Military Aviation' section.
NB: The nomenclature was 'Provost Marshal Prohibited' and 'Provost Marshal Restricted' areas and they were only depicted on low level charts issued by AIDU.

Thanks very much, Chevvron.

In your opinion, is it remotely feasible that the signals which contained the coordinates for the restricted/prohibited areas would have been preserved? Thanks

chevvron
31st May 2022, 15:06
The only place you'll get records like that is from No 1 AIDU at Northolt.
This thread should be in the 'Military Aviation' section where ot can be merged with the main thread.
I would guess they would establsh temporary restricted airspace, nowadays referred to a RA(T).