PDA

View Full Version : Austro Control class 1 /2 denied

Joanaragones
30th May 2022, 14:37
Hello guys. I am not regular writer in the forum, but I would like to share my history in aviation looking for some aeromedical advice.

I suffer Poland Syndrome; it basically affects the musculoskeletal system. I have a birth malfunction on the left hand, having all fingers but not long enough, also I don't have the left chest. However, I have a normal live and it doesn't affect my day to day. I am from Barcelona, but I lived 2 years in UK where I started my ATPL exams after getting the PPL in Florida by FAA in 2017.

I also had a high astigmatism and I got surgery at the beginning of 2018 since I received a denied for the class 1 medical certificate in the UK. I tried again with the new eyes, and I successfully got the class 1, the only thing they requested is a medical flight test with an authorised instructor before issue the certificate to verified I can flight safety with my hand. I did the same before flight solo in the USA.
Once in the UK after the ppl experience and having overcome all medical obstacles, I started with the ATPL in Bristol Ground school which I finished in May 2021.
Because of the Brexit, I had been forced as thousands of pilots, to transfer my medical certificate to Austria, I already did my ATPL exams directly by Austro Control. The think is, and after long year fighting against bureaucratic system and 2 flights to Wien, I have just received the Unfit valid for all classes, 1 and 2. As you can imagine this was an expected and sad news for me.

What I can't understand is why they denied the class 1 without even requesting at least a medical flight test as I did in England and in the EEUU with a positive outcome. To be honest I already expected a denial for class 1 but not for class 2 as I am already a private pilot, it means I cannot even fly a small Cessna in Europe. They are based on EASA regulations, then I cannot understand why I got the class 1 in England before. I was in Ireland to have a second opinion by IAA, I don't have majors’ problems there, but it could not proceed as I had a process opened in Austria.

They gave me 3 options, have a review but it wasn’t recommended according to them ‘the rules are clear’ take a medical flight test to get the LAPL certificate which I declined as I am already a private pilot or issue the Notification of Denied which means my record will closed in Austria being able to jump to another EU country.
I back in Florida in January last year to finish my IFR training but due to the pandemic situation I was forced to back home just a week before the check ride. This situation overwhelmed me a lot.

Now I am in contact with Ireland and Spain authorities studying my situation in order to have the opportunity to get a second opinion, but they are saying I must fix this situation directly with Austro Control when this country said I can go to another EASA state with the notification of denied which I already have. I am a little bit confused with the procedure.

I am talking with a Doctor in Barcelona which is my guide here, she and other pilots suggest me to renew the medical certificates in the UK by CAA, but I am not sure what to do as I don't want to be limited only in the UK.

I know it is getting complicated to me to get the certificate, or if so, it will be with some limitation which it could be an important inconvenient when looking for a job. This is my main concern. At least I would like to keep up to date what I already have which is the Private Pilot licence by FAA which I would like to convert to EASA. I had the plan to finish all the license (IFR, CPL, ME) in the USA under FAA and the convert them to EASA, and what I am seeing is this is getting really complicated and my dream will probably end here.

However, I never give up and I would like to know your opinion and if there are some pilots here with the same, or similar, situation with me medical certificates.

I would need some help with that, any advice above what to do?

Sorry for such a long explanation.
Thank you in advance guys.

Joan