PDA

View Full Version : USCG Rescues Jet Skier

SASless
28th May 2022, 06:54
It is the start of the Memorial Day weekend....strong winds, thunderstorms, Small Craft Warnings issued....and at 0215 I was awakened by an unusual sound....a hovering MH-60 Jay Hawk Helicopter from Elizabeth City out in front of my home.

A jet skier had gone missing on a short trip from Harkers Island boat ramp around the corner and up the North River a few miles to a place called Ward Creek.

I went out on the porch and peered into the darkness...saw the rotating beacon of the helicopter and lots of flashing Red and Blue lights from various surface craft searching for the missing jet skier.

My neighbor keeps his boat in the water and we prepared to join in the search.

The neighborhood rolled out as well....and several small boats left private docks in the area and joined the search transporting members of the Volunteer Rescue Squad.

Happily....within a short period of time word was relayed to us that the Jet Skier had been picked up by the Helicopter and safely returned to the boat ramp.

Being a helicopter pilot I tip my hat to the Coasties in the SAR helicopter as it is not that good a. night to be out and about with the Thunderstorms all around us.

It is also nice to know lots of folks will take to the water looking for you if you go missing.

There are still lots of watermen left who are used to handling their boats in bad conditions and who will respond.

We see this kind of thing happen once or twice a year here on the water in from of my house.

Last week we had a fatality just offshore where a fisherman fell overboard and was not wearing a personal flotation device.

Had he....the response to the Coast Guard Distress Call Broadcast by boaters in the area would have resulted in him coming home safe with a good yarn to tell about his boat running off and leaving him.

But....he did not.

28th May 2022, 09:39
A good job all round. :ok:

So many searches end in bad news or no news (nothing found) it's nice when one has a happy ending.

As search areas go, at least it is sheltered water, almost completely enclosed by land which makes things easier.

The other thing that will have helped is the jet skier must have told someone where he was going - that often doesn't happen - so they had a known start point and intended destination.

JohnDixson
28th May 2022, 10:05
Re the “ Coasties “: when the weather has the rest of us deciding that the flying can wait a bit, they get to put on their gear and launch. An under-rated group of very fine folks. World-wide.

Great story, SAS.

SASless
28th May 2022, 13:19
Inshore here a good pair of hiking boots is as important as a Life Jacket as most of the water is very shallow....such that you can walk to shore from most of it.

About five minutes after I made the original post a storm cell passed over the area where the Hoist Op was done.....which confirmed what all the Lightning was about.

A few months ago we lost an airplane just offshore of Drum Inlet on the Core Banks.....and it took about 36 hours to find the wreckage....and the people who were in it....with no survivors.

That Search did not have the happy ending the one last night did.

That loss appears to have been an IIMC event.

https://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/news/article_0564168a-dc53-11ec-bcd2-1f91c63bcc78.html

SASless
28th May 2022, 23:16
Took my Kawasaki Mule and Labrador retriever over to my neighbors....the 900 Acre Hunt Club...to do some fishing off their Dock.

As I approached the dock...there set the Jet Ski that went missing last night....retrieved by the Farm Manager this morning.

Come to find. out the Ski had not been registered or taxes paid on it for three years and had been abandoned by the "owner" last night.

Seems there.is now a Salvage Claim being filed by the Farm Manager.

Looking at the Ski....I would see it as a waste of time but this area is home to old time Ship Wreckers and Pirates....old traditions die hard I guess.

Blackbeard the Pirates ship....the Queen Anne's Revenge lies just outside the breakers in front of. Fort Macon.