PDA

View Full Version : Conventional Wings v. High Wings

aviationluver
25th May 2022, 18:51
Does anyone know why some manufacturers choose high wings over conventional wings? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type of wing? Thanks.

wrench1
27th May 2022, 14:20
Does anyone know why some manufacturers choose high wings over conventional wings? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type of wing? Thanks.
It really depends from what position you are asking the question. Same with your T-tail question. For example, from a performance point low-wing tend to have the flexibility for different applications but from a ground visibility standpoint high-wing wins. You'll find there is no set answer as each design has its own pros/cons depending on what mission or market the manufacturer is targeting. Same with helicopters and M/R designs and other types of aircraft. However, once you look at a specialty/niche market like bush flying you tend to see the same basic design used for those aircraft. For me personally, from a maintenance point, I think low-wings and T-tails should be banned and scrapped as it made my work process a pain in the you know what. ;)

ShyTorque
27th May 2022, 14:44
from a visibility standpoint high-wing wins.

In S&L flight, agreed - but not so good when you need to see above, or close in and below the aircraft in a turn. Especially if there's an engine perched on each wing (as well known by any UK police observer operating in the Vulcanair P-28).

Natural aircraft roll stability, in general, is better for a high winged aircraft.

tdracer
27th May 2022, 18:08
Natural aircraft roll stability, in general, is better for a high winged aircraft.
High wing aircraft are also basically immune to "Dutch Roll" - where as low wing aircraft often require yaw dampers to make the Dutch Roll tolerable.

wrench1
27th May 2022, 22:06
In S&L flight, agreed -.
Thats what I meant. Added a clarification to my original post.