PDA

View Full Version : Today I learned about insurance from that

Genghis the Engineer
17th May 2022, 18:25
So, a lessons learned for me, with thankfully no consequences.

I turned up to do somebody's checkout and differences on a reasonably nice Arrow IV they've just bought, straightforward enough task. Of course, I went through the ships papers, checking the usual thing - ARC, CofA, radio licence, insurance - you all know the drill.

Going through the insurance, I saw the new owner as named pilot. I did not see the usual phrase "or any instructor instructing the insured" or words to that effect. I queried it with the owner, he thought it was probably okay, but at my insistence he phoned the insurance company to check. Helpfully he put it on speakerphone.

Turned out, that through inadvertently ticking the wrong box on the online form, he insured the aircraft for ground risks / ferry / sales demonstration only (max 5 hrs in the year of the latter), and his insurance did not actually include any form of "normal" flying, such as me doing his training, then his flying the aeroplane for his own pleasure. Ooops !

Anyhow, all sorted out now, entirely painlessly, between he and his insurer. But, had I not queried that - which was very far from clear on the insurance document - we'd have been flying quite probably uninsured and illegally, through no fault but an oversight.

I just thought I'd mention it as a word to the wise, as if this can happen once, it can happen again.

G

SWBKCB
17th May 2022, 19:13
So, a lessons learned for me, with thankfully no consequences.

I turned up to do somebody's checkout and differences on a reasonably nice Arrow IV they've just bought, straightforward enough task. Of course, I went through the ships papers, checking the usual thing - ARC, CofA, radio licence, insurance - you all know the drill.

Going through the insurance, I saw the new owner as named pilot. I did not see the usual phrase "or any instructor instructing the insured" or words to that effect. I queried it with the owner, he thought it was probably okay, but at my insistence he phoned the insurance company to check. Helpfully he put it on speakerphone.

Turned out, that through inadvertently ticking the wrong box on the online form, he insured the aircraft for ground risks / ferry / sales demonstration only (max 5 hrs in the year of the latter), and his insurance did not actually include any form of "normal" flying, such as me doing his training, then his flying the aeroplane for his own pleasure. Ooops !

Anyhow, all sorted out now, entirely painlessly, between he and his insurer. But, had I not queried that - which was very far from clear on the insurance document - we'd have been flying quite probably uninsured and illegally, through no fault but an oversight.

I just thought I'd mention it as a word to the wise, as if this can happen once, it can happen again.

G

I'm sure it's easy to do, but wouldn't the quote have been on the low side?

Genghis the Engineer
17th May 2022, 19:22
Relatively inexperienced pilot, his first aircraft purchase, he probably didn't realise that.

G

MrAverage
18th May 2022, 07:37
At every examiner AOC I've been through, both at the one day seminar and with the Senior Examiner on the assessment flight, I have been reminded separately and succinctly that both the words you mention and (in the case of an examiner) the word examiner must be seen on the cert. I had to postpone an initial IMC test just a couple of weeks ago because of the omission. I'm hoping to finally get it done this Sunday.