PDA

View Full Version : SBAS NZL + single engine piston IFR

tail low
15th May 2022, 21:51
Hi. We are setting up a single piston for Part 91 IFR op's.

At this stage it has a Garmin G3X with G5 for back up and looking to put GTN 650 in.

Question is: after advice on the secondary NAV source.

Option 1: GNC 255 or similar giving us radio NAV VOR/ILS etc.
OPtion 2: GPS 175 or similar giving us X2 GPS sources.

Thought's are having ILS would be nice but as an example your only getting approx 70 feet lower into CHC on the ILS vs RNAV.

The biggest PRO I see for GNC is having two different sources of NAV but realistically how likely are X2 GPS to tip over while actually out flying in IMC...

Reading online SBAS looks not too far away in NZL 2023? We are slow to catch up but once we has WAAS / LPV or whatever the call it out here maybe X2 GPS will be the way to go vs having ILS? (Plane wont be based at a ILS capable port.) Feeling is VOR approaches are pretty much done now.. Once we start getting some WAAS approaches into some of the smaller ports similar to the USA etc this will be the go moving forward...?

Welcome any input.

Cheers.

Ascend Charlie
16th May 2022, 04:56
Single piston IFR? I thought the only allowable singles had turbine engines, for reliability?

But I have been out of the loop for a while, things may have changed.

We did operate Bell 206 singles IFR, though only as Airwork, and with dual screens plus analog backup, giving us ILS, VOR, NDB, and GPS.

Karunch
16th May 2022, 09:16
Hi. We are setting up a single piston for Part 91 IFR op's.

At this stage it has a Garmin G3X with G5 for back up and looking to put GTN 650 in.

Welcome any input.

Cheers.

Similar to your setup I put in a G3X (dual screen), GTN 750, G5 & GFC 500. The G3X has an embedded 'Vfr' Gps that can be used enroute following a GTN failure.
I retained an existing KX155 Ils/ Nav/ Com only to enable the use of special alternate minima at the nearby ILS equipped airport (an Australian peculiarity)
When it fails I'll replace with a second IFR GPS not so much for redundancy but for ease of alternate planning.

tail low
19th May 2022, 00:55
Hi, Yes Part 135 requires piston twin / turbine single or better.. Part 91 is the only rule you can operate Piston single on IFR op's.

tail low
19th May 2022, 00:58
Thanks for the feedback.