PDA

View Full Version : Multi Engine Training Approval

Tempo
26th Aug 2002, 01:02
For those in the know, what sort of training is involved in getting this approval? What sort of total costs am I looking at and how long should it take to do.

Cheers

Hugh Jarse
26th Aug 2002, 03:01
Tempo, when I did my approval quite a few years ago, I basically had to present all the "Long" and "Pre-Flight" briefings as laid down in the Company's syllabus (similar to what was laid down in the CAA's "Flight Instructor's Manual). From memory I did each at least twice or 3 times.

The flying content comprised of conducting an initial multi-engine endorsement with my instructor, as well as consolidation of critical manoeuvres. That was about 10 hours of flying.

The test involved the usual 2 or 3 briefings and around 2 hours of flying time with an ATO. The Airex was a combination of normal and asymmetric upper airwork, and normal and asymmetric circuits. I wasn't required to teach a full lesson as such, but all the important bits from the whole syllabus.

From start to finish and doing normal instruction during business hours took me just over 2 weeks.

I've got no idea how much it will cost you as it's been over 10 years since I did it.

As far as ground work is concerned, you'll have to create all your own briefings and overheads to meet the CASA and your Company's requirements. Hopefully you won't have to do them from scratch. I was fortunate enough to get a loan of a set from my instructor and use them as a guide.

If you can get the opportunity to 'backseat' (dunno if you can do that anymore) for some of the sequences and observe, that will help you immensely.

I found it to be the most enjoyable of approvals to achieve from an instructing point of view.

compressor stall
26th Aug 2002, 03:39
Well worth getting. And when you do get it, it is also humbling to know how much more out there there is to learn....

I Fly
26th Aug 2002, 16:09
I presume you have a Instructor Rating. Have a look at CAAP 5.23. Have a think on how you would teach that. Most of my students come in, have a yarn, go home and prepare the briefings, come back and show me some / most. The flying according to the CAAP will take you 5 to 7 hours at whatever the advanced DUAL rate is for the aircraft. For the briefings you pay by the hour. If you are well prepared you should do it inside a week. Try and make sure the ATO testing you is also doing your training.

Ozgrade3
27th Aug 2002, 15:16
Get the CAAP and have a look at it o see what is requied, then throw the bloody thing out, its useless/ Was written by some wally who thought we did out initial multies in a 767.

The ATO who facilitated mine wanted 3 x 30-40 min briefs.

Brief 1 - Aircraft Description and Systems.

Brief 2 - Performance - Regulatory Aspects (CAO's etc)

- Performance Charts etc

Brief 3 - Theory of Asymmetric Flight

- VMC(a)

Airwork

Flight 1 Upper Airwork and Asymmetrics

Remember the trick most examiners will do when you get them to perform an engine failure drill. When he verifies the throttle of the failed engine, he will deliberately leave it half open, waiting for you to get the engine going with the mixture control - sudden lurch of the aircraft happens whe the engine bursts into power. he'll be most impresse when you retard the throttle fully prior to moving the mixture control forward.

Flight 2 Circuit work and asymmetrics