PDA

View Full Version : Why would anybody fly this path?

Mutley Eugenius
12th May 2022, 13:34
A friend of min sent this to me and asked me WTF. Usually I can answer him, but in this case, I was also wondering WTF.

Any ideas? Either the pilot forgot his phone charger, or maybe something even WORSE happened?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/897x1725/3709959550751182890_20293__58b8d31b47b5de67db81ec8635cf64b7f c84fcbb.png

VH-ABC
12th May 2022, 19:56
Volcanic ash event?

holdingagain
12th May 2022, 21:01
“ can’t find our entry docs, have you got them ? “

umop apisdn
12th May 2022, 21:01
MH17 search crew

Lead Balloon
12th May 2022, 21:27
Perhaps you meant MH370?

bobbytables
13th May 2022, 08:33
Any ideas? Either the pilot forgot his phone charger, or maybe something even WORSE happened?

If something even WORSE had happened, there were much closer diversion options. Guessing something boring like a paperwork issue or some failure which didn't need a rapid diversion but would be problematic to deal with at the destination for whatever reason.

Or maybe dispatch found out the new fuel prices and realised they wouldn't be able to afford to fly back :}

compressor stall
13th May 2022, 09:06
Sounds like the OP works for those Taboola click baits.

“this pilot flew hundreds of people and you WONT BELIEVE what happens next… “

clark y
13th May 2022, 10:26
Maybe something as boring as the app picked up multiple sectors and joined them together.
JST044 is the DPS-MEL sector.
JST043 is MEL-DPS.

bobbytables
13th May 2022, 10:31
Maybe something as boring as the app picked up multiple sectors and joined them together.
JST044 is the DPS-MEL sector.
JST043 is MEL-DPS.

The NE/SW segments of the tracked path over the ocean joining the two NW/SE segments are a bit strange if that's the case. I'd expect to see a discontinuity rather than what appears to be a closed loop.

ADS-B Exchange doesn't do any "guessing" of track so the aircraft reported those positions.

roger4
13th May 2022, 14:56
The NE/SW segments of the tracked path over the ocean joining the two NW/SE segments are a bit strange if that's the case. I'd expect to see a discontinuity rather than what appears to be a closed loop.

ADS-B Exchange doesn't do any "guessing" of track so the aircraft reported those positions.

ADS-B Exchange certainly does guess tracks. While the aircraft is transmitting ADSB-out all the time, ADSB-Exchange only works because enthusiasts with ADSB receivers within radio "line of sight" of the aircraft share their data. And there aren't many enthusiasts out there once the aircraft gets around 200 miles northwest of Adelaide! The continuous purple thick lines on the plot are based on received ADS-B signals, those with thin black lines and intermittent purple dashes are guessed.

Duck Pilot
13th May 2022, 20:05
Anyone who believes that the ADSB data published on FR or any other publicly available tracking app, or website accurately reflects an aircraft’s tracking details is out with the fairies and dreaming.

To many variables that can be controlled and not controlled. There are lots of aircraft flying around where the ADSB data isn’t publicly available because the operator has prohibited the data from being publicly available for good reasons.

In the case mentioned, if the aircraft did turn around and go back to its departure point from where it supposedly did, I’m surprised that the event hasn’t hit the press given where it was going and the type of potential clientele on board, some off whom may have been pretty tanked up at the time the aircraft diverted if the CC were serving liquor.

Showa Cho
14th May 2022, 01:07
Flight Radar 24 now uses space based ADSB-B surveillance data too. Not sure about ADS-B exchange. Exchange shows some flights that FR24 doesn't, like some law enforcement aircraft. Not sure how/why.

BuzzBox
14th May 2022, 01:27
Perhaps they went back to pick up the bags they'd 'forgotten' to load? :E

Mutley Eugenius
15th May 2022, 23:04
Sounds like the OP works for those Taboola click baits.

“this pilot flew hundreds of people and you WONT BELIEVE what happens next… “

Nah, mate, if I worked for the tabloids I would have also put up a gratuitous photo of Kim Kardashian's tits in the subject line. Plus, you clicked, it even without her tits.

VH-FTS
15th May 2022, 23:58
Wouldn't the most likely answer be it went tech? I have no idea about international engineering support, but probably easier for the company to take it back to home base for repairs, and put the pax on another flight from their originating airport?

PoppaJo
16th May 2022, 01:01
Google the flight number. Case closed.

kellykelpie
16th May 2022, 01:20
Tug still attached I believe

morno
16th May 2022, 04:17
Tug still attached I believe

Did they leave the tow stick attached?

nonsense
16th May 2022, 05:00
First officer in training, Captain not a training captain?

Seriously though, either the aircraft really followed the path shown, OR the path is a result of some sort of data handling fault.
Any possible explanation will obviously be specific to one possibility and not applicable to the other.

So go to a different tracking site and see if the same path is reproduced, since this will eliminate most possible ways of getting the data wrong..

Unfortunately the date of the suspect flight is not given here, but as an unregistered member of the hoi polloi I can see on FR24 that the aircraft has not turned back to Melbourne in the last seven days.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1345x603/untitled_b32b7544b2609df77e3df3e7d69492045bf880d3.png

Johnny_56
17th May 2022, 02:59
Is this something to do with a lease/tax arrangements?

taking it just outside of Australian airspace to get something signed ‘for the books’?