PDA

View Full Version : Virgin chief Hrdlicka meets her match

Agent_86
12th May 2022, 03:48
This could well be the most perfect union in global aviation.

On Tuesday, Virgin Australia announced it was forming a bilateral alliance with Gulf carrier Qatar Airways. The two airlines will code-share on each other’s flights and extend loyalty benefits to each other’s customers.

Top-tier Velocity members transiting through Hamad International Airport can now opt out of forcible gynaecological examinations and other unique cultural experiences inflicted upon regular travellers at the major hub that scores of South Asian slave labourers died building.

The new partnership was announced without a formal start date, suggesting the finer particulars are yet to be hammered out.

We can just imagine Virgin’s emir Jayne Hrdlicka wrangling clause-by-clause with Qatar’s truly inimitable chief executive, His Excellency Akbar Al Baker.

A cartoonish pair indeed. Neither is famed for working well with others, exuding human sensitivity or being able to read a room.There’s every chance His Excellency initially mistook Hrdlicka for the tea lady, given his pungent views about women and their place. Al Baker was asked at a Sydney conference in 2018 if a female could run Qatar Airways (https://www.afr.com/rear-window/aviation-20160303-gn9heo). “Of course it has to be led by a man, because it is a very challenging position”.

The previous year he complained at an industry gathering that “you are always being served by grandmothers on American carriers”, boasting that “the average age of my cabin crew is only 26 years”.

You could send him back to the 1970s, where he’d still be a conspicuous dinosaur. He is so appalling you sometimes have to wonder if he’s putting it on.

Virgin Australia is currently in the Federal Court defending a claim of bullying and harassment brought by the chief pilot Hrdlicka sacked on medical grounds. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority will undoubtedly be watching that case with interest.

Multiple reports of Virgin’s dysfunctional culture – including numerous payouts to bullying complainants – have established that Virgin provides one of the nation’s most hostile workplaces.

Qatar has no such issues. That’s the beauty of a master-slave labour system.

Virgin Australia held an all-staff promotion last month (https://www.afr.com/rear-window/no-higher-prize-than-lunch-with-jayne-hrdlicka-20220425-p5afzk) in which third prize was a week of paid leave, second prize was a weekend on Hamilton Island and the first prize was an awkward ham sambo with Hrdlicka. This warped hierarchy of winnings explains so much about the company’s cultural issues.

Word on next year’s top prize has already reached us: it’s a pile of Al Baker’s ironing.

One hundred pairs of Virgin pyjamas were also handed out. Bear in mind, Virgin ended all long-haul operations in March 2020, and now operates only narrow body aircraft with upright seats. Virgin passengers ain’t seen no PJs since private equity stormed the cockpit. Way to make long-suffering crew feel special: a nylon tracksuit that’s been sitting in a warehouse for two years waiting for a ride to the tip.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
12th May 2022, 05:37
:D
Let me guess: Joe Aston?

extralite
12th May 2022, 08:20
Every time two people have a disagreement at a workplace, the first thing both shout is "they are bullying me" to their supervisor or manager. As a manager it gets so bloody tiring. Once one person gets a payout for "bullying" it becomes a flood in any organization because there is money involved,. In fact i believe in the Federal court it is up to the employer to prove their innocence in this regard? I know from observation that once the "bullying" card starts getting a payout, every malcontent jumps on the bandwagon to try and prove a point and get paid, and it does not prove a cultural problem.

wondrousbitofrough
12th May 2022, 19:06
The original writer apparently has a grudge against VA. Maybe someone can point out to him how flying in Australia would be with only one carrier ie Q.

deja vu
14th May 2022, 10:23
Everybody with a pulse has a grudge against Virgin, oh and Q. Travel by bogans for bogans.

megan
14th May 2022, 22:44
If it weren't for bogans traveling the aviation industry would be a cottage industry. Qatar? The very worst travel experience in my life on my one and only foray with them, never again, and I'm not a female requiring a gynecological examination.

hoss
15th May 2022, 01:09
After reading the title I thought this was going to be about Sagey😉 ……..

turbantime
15th May 2022, 03:38
After reading the title I thought this was going to be about Sagey😉 ……..
Poor bugger, I’m sure he would prefer the PJs.

lucille
15th May 2022, 21:19
If it weren't for bogans traveling the aviation industry would be a cottage industry. Qatar? The very worst travel experience in my life on my one and only foray with them, never again, and I'm not a female requiring a gynecological examination.

Perhaps it should be a cottage industry. FWIW, My experiences as a passenger on board QR have always been excellent I’ll fly them again.

Going through our bully boy security here in Australia is as bad. Industrial scale stupidity and thuggishness not seen anywhere else in the world.

UnderneathTheRadar
15th May 2022, 21:47
Going through our bully boy security here in Australia is as bad. Industrial scale stupidity and thuggishness not seen anywhere else in the world.

not seen the TSA in full swing?

megan
16th May 2022, 06:59
TSA do gynecological examinations? An odd experience was arriving in the US a month after 911 and the courtesy of airport staff was staggering, not the more often met surly and officious behavior .