PDA

View Full Version : The Saudi Mach Loop?

Wokkafans
9th May 2022, 21:46
I came across this clip on YouTube and was wondering if this is a routine training area in KSA or a one off? Things get lively from about four mins in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZu2a7y46gE

9th May 2022, 23:11
Very impressive, but which seat had the higher work rate, pilot or navigator. That must have taken some planning.

Bob Viking
10th May 2022, 03:18
I would suggest quite the opposite. I’m willing to bet there was virtually zero planning involved. Just a guy who has probably flown the same wadis a few times.

I’m also willing to bet there was no navigator involved at any stage!

BV

Big Pistons Forever
10th May 2022, 03:37
It’s all great fun until you become a skid mark on the rocks….

The Helpful Stacker
10th May 2022, 06:43
Looks very similar to some of the footage in this classic...

https://youtu.be/EJV-3Pto0Kg

Repos
10th May 2022, 08:20
I look forward to watching some great footage and can't because I find the music too distracting, unbearable in fact.
What's wrong with engine noise?

Thank you anyway to the posters here, I din't wish to be rude.

dead_pan
10th May 2022, 08:25
Looks very similar to some of the footage in this classic...

I thought this too - beat me to it!

A question - would the aircraft's navigation be capable of giving the pilot all the necessary cues regarding which turns to take, or would the nav shout them out (like in a rally car)? Either way both would have on their game as a wrong turn could be catastrophic (esp those blind turns into branching canyons)

Bob Viking
10th May 2022, 09:00
I can speak with an informed opinion about the video in question but I can’t give you scientific facts.

It was flown in a Hawk Mk 65 so basically like a T1. There would have been no navigator.

Wadi/canyon flying of that nature is not done with any reference to a map. There simply isn’t the time to look at a map and it wouldn’t be safe to do so.

What you watched was clearly a guy who has flown the wadi many times and knew where he was going. Much like we don’t need to look at a map to fly the Mach Loop. He may well have navigated to a known start point but that is where the planning will probably have ended.

Funnily enough I was doing something very similar about three hours ago but thankfully I have slightly better avionics so I really didn’t need to do any planning to find where I was going. Just the occasional glance at my screen if I ever need it.

I will just add that the flying in the video is of a very high standard and not everyone would choose to be quite so aggressive. What you are seeing is the result of a lot of practice and experience.

BV

MPN11
10th May 2022, 10:41
"No, al-Hoskins, don't even think about trying it."

Null Orifice
10th May 2022, 10:57
I look forward to watching some great footage and can't because I find the music too distracting, unbearable in fact.
What's wrong with engine noise?

Thank you anyway to the posters here, I din't wish to be rude.

It's not just you - I too find this sort of music distracting and would much rather hear engine noise or cockpit ambient sound (although I appreciate that video on many of these older clips doesn't come with audio - just like silent movies!).
Many uploads to social media/Youtube,etc are similarly spoiled by unnecessary rock music - yes, I'm a rock music fan!
I place the blame for this intrusive music on films such as Top Gun. :E

EddyCurr
10th May 2022, 19:06
Thank you, Wokkafans.

Repos, Null Orifice. I routinely do the following ...

https://c.tenor.com/zS02vRH6AsMAAAAC/turn-down-volume-mute.gif

India Four Two
10th May 2022, 19:15
Very impressive. It makes “Star Wars Canyon” look like a walk-in-the-park.

Bob, is that an area in the west near the Red Sea coast?

Bob Viking
10th May 2022, 19:24
I’m afraid Saudi is not my area of expertise. I’m sure there will be someone along shortly who can answer your query. Background Noise perhaps if he is about?

BV

Wokkafans
10th May 2022, 19:44
Very impressive. It makes “Star Wars Canyon” look like a walk-in-the-park.

Bob, is that an area in the west near the Red Sea coast?

The guy who posted the video (Phil Frawley https://fighterjet.com.au/2016/04/27/saudi-arabian-experience/) says it's about 25 miles South East of Tabuk.

Background Noise
11th May 2022, 07:42
Yes, still here! Only visited that part of the World briefly but fortunate enough to have been there and done that, albeit to a lesser extent! I'm pretty sure it is the Wadi Disah area. It really is that spectacular - anywhere else, it would be an area of outstanding natural beauty and undoubtedly have all sorts of low flying restrictions.

As Bob said, that is 'local area knowledge nav' - not a student in sight. Less likely these days I guess, with all of the inherent recording devices.

Bob Viking
11th May 2022, 08:47
It’s still possible nowadays but MSD is the law and there is no hiding! Thankfully some of us are permitted a more exciting MSD.

BV

Minnie Burner
11th May 2022, 11:20
It's a great shame that such skills and these steam-driven jets no longer have any value. Apparently.