PDA

View Full Version : easyJet cancelling scheduled flights to put on extra football flights to Paris

Former easyjet pax
7th May 2022, 13:19
I was due to fly from Manchester to Munich on Friday 27 May, returning Sunday 29 May however, easyJet has now cancelled this flight at a great inconvenience to myself and everyone else booked to travel, simply so they can cash in on the Champions League Final.

Using the easyJet website it is very easy to see that on a normal Friday easyJet operate 3 flights from Manchester to Paris however, on Friday 27 May easyJet have added an extra 3 flights, so will operate 6 flights from Manchester to Paris on this date. We all know airlines do not leave aircraft sitting around on the ground doing nothing so other flights will have had to be cut to make way for these three additional flights. My flight to Munich and likely other destinations on this date has been cancelled so the aircraft can instead be used to fly to Paris.

We paid about £180 each for this flight. easyJet are selling the additional Paris flights at around £1200 return, so they're raking it in even after they refund everyone on the cancelled Munich flight.

I have reported this to the press (who will be running a story), the CAA and MP Grant Shapps. I would like the forums advise on who else can I report this behaviour to, to ensure easyJet are held to account by regulators as simply, this is unacceptable.

DaveReidUK
7th May 2022, 17:44
We all know airlines do not leave aircraft sitting around on the ground doing nothing so other flights will have had to be cut to make way for these three additional flights.

In the current climate, we don't know that at all.

planedrive
7th May 2022, 17:53
At least one of those 3 flights is operating via a W pattern from another UK base... they could also be using foreign based aircraft to operate? Seems like you've jumped to some pretty large conclusions.

pabely
7th May 2022, 19:49
They normally run LPL FAO but that not bookable that weekend, don't know if they were on sale before footie team got to final?

reac
7th May 2022, 20:28
Former easyjet pax,

I understand your frustration as it affects you, however it is a commercial decision made by Easyjet. They are in business to make money, if that annoys some customers then so be it. As long as they have followed proper procedure regarding refunds / alternatives and notifying customers then they haven't done anything wrong. Complaining to the press and MP Grant Shapps (both entities are a waste of space) is wasting your time. Book with another carrier and learn your lesson not to trust easyJet as I am assuming from your user name you have done.

Safe Travels
REAC

ATNotts
7th May 2022, 20:44
REAC

I agree with your sentiments, but cancelling previously scheduled services to cash in on a one off opportunity isn't really 'cricket'.

If I had suffered personally from such corporate behaviour I would vote with my wallet and avoid them in the future as the OP seems to have done. I would also probably have gone to the media.

Denti
7th May 2022, 20:50
The cancellation could be to cash in on the game, or just simply because they have to cancel, same as other carriers, quite a few flights as they are unable to recruit enough personnel, especially cabin crew. Happens now all the time, both on short notice and longer term. Someone forgot that Covid is actually still an issue, as well as having not enough crew to start with being negatively affected by said shortages leading to severe fatigue and additional sickness issues leading to a vicious circle.

Anyway, there are others out there, competition is good for the consumer after all.

AirportPlanner1
7th May 2022, 21:40
They normally run LPL FAO but that not bookable that weekend, don't know if they were on sale before footie team got to final?

Not bookable or sold out? It’s the start of the half term I think

Flyhighfirst
7th May 2022, 21:57
I was due to fly from Manchester to Munich on Friday 27 May, returning Sunday 29 May however, easyJet has now cancelled this flight at a great inconvenience to myself and everyone else booked to travel, simply so they can cash in on the Champions League Final.

Using the easyJet website it is very easy to see that on a normal Friday easyJet operate 3 flights from Manchester to Paris however, on Friday 27 May easyJet have added an extra 3 flights, so will operate 6 flights from Manchester to Paris on this date. We all know airlines do not leave aircraft sitting around on the ground doing nothing so other flights will have had to be cut to make way for these three additional flights. My flight to Munich and likely other destinations on this date has been cancelled so the aircraft can instead be used to fly to Paris.

We paid about £180 each for this flight. easyJet are selling the additional Paris flights at around £1200 return, so they're raking it in even after they refund everyone on the cancelled Munich flight.

I have reported this to the press (who will be running a story), the CAA and MP Grant Shapps. I would like the forums advise on who else can I report this behaviour to, to ensure easyJet are held to account by regulators as simply, this is unacceptable.

They are a company required to
make profit where they can. I can’t see they have done anything wrong. They will of course offer a full refund and depending on circumstances EU261 compensation. If they can make more money out of a different utilisation of equipment you would be silly not to.

Former easyjet pax
7th May 2022, 21:57
Thanks for the replies.

I understand fully that easyJet are in business to make money, that goes without saying. However, that does not make this sort of behaviour acceptable. Cashing in on a quick buck for a one-off sporting event while screwing over existing, loyal customers is no way to run a business. After cancelling my flight easyJet offered me a cash refund or a voucher. Neither of these options get me to Munich. Lufthansa do have a flight on the same dates but over £200 in fare difference. Will easyJet pay the difference? I suspect not. Why should I be out of pocket while easyJet cashes in, at my expense?

Upon further investigation I can see easyJet do not normally fly between Liverpool and Paris however they do have flights out on 27 and 28 May, returning 29 May for a whopping £1,037.28 return. To make way for these flights, on Friday 27 May easyJet has cancelled flight EZY7253 from Liverpool to Krakow and flight EZY7195 from Liverpool to Faro.

Really disgusting behaviour from easyJet.

zambonidriver
7th May 2022, 22:24
I will have to agree with previous comments. This is just sensible business practice and done reasonably well in advance for you to arrange alternative plans.

ICEHOUSES
7th May 2022, 23:04
This is normal EasyJet practice to change flights with complete disregard to customers convenience. Recently booked flights Manchester to jersey for a long weekend, leaving around 0800, received an email four weeks prior to trip saying the flights would depart 3 hours later to 1100, therefore ruining the first day holiday of a 3 day trip, apparently the airline in the small print is allowed to change the flight times in advance. Myself and rest of family would never use this airline ever again.

edi_local
7th May 2022, 23:05
It is perfectly acceptable for a private company to cancel your service and give you your money back with 3weeks notice They are not a public service, they can and do make commercial decisions as every company does. You can't even prove they have done what you are accusing them of. Even if they have canceled your plane specifically to provide extra capacity for the football fans that is their business and their business only. They exist to make money. The press will run any old story bashing airlines, so that's not an achievement in itself and I strongly suspect no one will investigate anything as no laws have been broken whatsoever. If you're that unhappy, simply take your business elsewhere, easyJet will make much more from these charters than you were going to give them anyway and they will have opened themselves up to many more future customers too. It's simply good business from a company that has suffered greatly for the last 2 years.

WHBM
8th May 2022, 01:07
It is perfectly acceptable for a private company to cancel your service and give you your money back with 3weeks notice They are not a public service, they can and do make commercial decisions as every company does. You can't even prove they have done what you are accusing them of. Even if they have canceled your plane specifically to provide extra capacity for the football fans that is their business and their business only.
Not so. This is a regulated industry. The CAA were always very hard on carriers who cancelled scheduled flights for other than good reasons (pretending it was a tech issue when it was a commercial one was spotted in a flash), to the extent that it would be necessary to subcharter in, specifically to cover any shortfall. Once you schedule it, you run it. The only exception was "No commercial load". At all.

As I don't remember legislation going through removing this aspect, I presume it's still on the statute books.

Expressflight
8th May 2022, 06:38
Former easyjet pax,

I understand your frustration as it affects you, however it is a commercial decision made by Easyjet. They are in business to make money, if that annoys some customers then so be it. As long as they have followed proper procedure regarding refunds / alternatives and notifying customers then they haven't done anything wrong.
Safe Travels
REAC

Oh no, that isn't acceptable at all.
It is totally unethical to cancel flights simply because something more lucrative has turned up. If EZY, or any other 'reputable' airline really has reached the stage where they think "if it annoys some passengers then so be it" we are all in a sad place. Of course, if you don't think ethics count for anything that defines you and society as a whole perhaps.

zambonidriver
8th May 2022, 07:34
As I don't remember legislation going through removing this aspect, I presume it's still on the statute books.

I would be interested learning about such legislation - assuming it exists.

If EZY, or any other 'reputable' airline really has reached the stage where they think "if it annoys some passengers then so be it" we are all in a sad place.

I'm afraid you did not pay attention over the past 30 years or so... These airlines are here to make money. They don't provide a public service (in which case your remarks might be justified).

kghjfg
8th May 2022, 07:47
Lufthansa do have a flight on the same dates but over £200 in fare difference. Will easyJet pay the difference? I suspect not. Why should I be out of pocket while easyJet cashes in, at my expense?

I don’t understand your complaint, you booked some cheap tickets with a disreputable company, who keep fares low by cancelling flights/screwing passengers when it suits them to chase lucrative opportunities.

That was all fine, and you didn’t mind / supported that, until it affected you.

Then you complain that another airline is more expensive (and you’ll be out of pocket???), when the reason they are more expensive is because they don’t do the thing you are complaining about!

You can’t have it both ways.

Do you think it’s ok they do this to other people, to keep your fare low, as long as they don’t do it to you?

Stop whining, support reputable companies in future, explain the easyJet business model to people if you like, but don’t pretend they are costing you extra money that you should have paid in the first place if you wanted some guarantees you would get there.

You booked a cheap flight, with a disreputable company, that might be cancelled for a better opportunity, and then complained when they cancelled it.

Like I say, makes no sense.

Flyhighfirst
8th May 2022, 08:22
Not so. This is a regulated industry. The CAA were always very hard on carriers who cancelled scheduled flights for other than good reasons (pretending it was a tech issue when it was a commercial one was spotted in a flash), to the extent that it would be necessary to subcharter in, specifically to cover any shortfall. Once you schedule it, you run it. The only exception was "No commercial load". At all.

The regulation - EU261 only come into effect if the cancellation was made inside 2 weeks. Outside of 2 weeks the airline can do what it likes.

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 08:56

Capitalism 101 afraid to say mate !

They will have made a consideration that paying a level of compensation and a few (no more than two hundred and sixty) people disappointed in a business that moves millions sort of worth it !

Oh and it happens almost every year . Do you remember the dozens of aircraft some years back that flew into Manchester for a football cup event and the masses of Alitalia cancellations on their schedules network 😉

As others have said the airlines can cancel any flight with sufficient notice and compensation where due . They are under no obligation of carriage unless it’s a PSO service .

Brian Pern
8th May 2022, 09:53

Yet they have not canceled the flights from gatwick on the 27 or 29 to Munich, 4 flights in total, a choice of morning and evening departures.

ahwalk01
8th May 2022, 09:56
I've heard of this on trains also e.g. QPR to Sheffield United a few months back on East Mids Rail (booking out 1st).

Similarly last time I flew EZY, I got a subcontracted to SmartLynx Latvia return leg. A couple of hours late but better service.

Alex.

zambonidriver
8th May 2022, 10:37
Interesting

I've flown at least a thousand legs with EasyJet and never been subcontracted.

As for trains they usually fulfil a public mandate, although UK might be an outlier to that respect.

Uplinker
8th May 2022, 11:06
I don’t understand your complaint, you booked some cheap tickets with a ......company, who keep fares low....

That was all fine, and you didn’t mind / supported that, until it affected you.

Then you complain that another airline is more expensive (and you’ll be out of pocket???), when the reason they are more expensive is because they don’t do the thing you are complaining about!

You can’t have it both ways.

+1

Very annoying and inconvenient, I am sure, but remember that low cost airlines are LOCO because they cut corners and do not necessarily provide the depth of service and back-up of a non LOCO. But they do provide an opportunity for millions of people to fly, who would not otherwise be able to afford to do so.

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 11:17
Interesting

I've flown at least a thousand legs with EasyJet and never been subcontracted.

As for trains they usually fulfil a public mandate, although UK might be an outlier to that respect.

Several SMARTLYNX aircraft are currently on operating leases to Easyjet UK flying from Gatwick at the moment

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 12:30
It’s not quite as simple as saying that outside two weeks, they can do what they want. If they cancel a flight then they are required to offer re-routing to destination including rebooking you onto another carrier if that is the only realistic option.

If the rebooking options on easyJet are not same day / same route and there is an equivalent available with another airline, they are required to offer it if that’s what you want.

stuart8181
8th May 2022, 13:26
No more ethical corporations seem to exist. It's all about the money.

zambonidriver
8th May 2022, 14:21
It’s not quite as simple as saying that outside two weeks, they can do what they want. If they cancel a flight then they are required to offer re-routing to destination including rebooking you onto another carrier if that is the only realistic option.

On what basis / regulation?

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 14:52
EU261/2004. Articles 5 and 8. The only difference that a cancellation inside two weeks of departure (instead of earlier) makes is to the right to compensation. The other rights for re-routing etc exist at any time.

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 15:21

If the rebooking options on easyJet are not same day / same route and there is an equivalent available with another airline, they are required to offer it if that’s what you want.
Only applied to IATA/ICAO registered carriers, they can offer a different day and routing within their own network, however they are NOT obligated the buy you a ticket on another carrier.
They can terminate a flight at anytime and as said before compensation other than refund / vouchers only applicable within the timeframe of Eu261 rules

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 15:23
Nope - it applies to every carrier including LCCs. There's no "out" from the regulation on that basis.

BA318
8th May 2022, 15:29
Nope - it applies to every carrier including LCCs. There's no "out" from the regulation on that basis.

Indeed and this is what I commented on in the BA thread that Which Magazine had wrote to the CAA to investigate BA because they were denying passengers alternative flights and failing in their duty of care.

willy wombat
8th May 2022, 15:39
I used to be a fan of easyJet but seeing how they treated my sister and her husband recently has changed my opinion. They were due to fly from EDI to Europe on a Sunday evening to an important event on the Monday. EZY cancelled the flight, notifying them by email exactly 4 hours prior to departure. It was impossible to contact EZY by phone, even on the “special” Flight Club number (I am a member) and their website was clearly overwhelmed as it was impossible to use the manage my booking function. Therefore they rerouted themselves via LGW entirely on EZY and incurred an overnight stay cost at the Gatwick Hilton. You would think that’s a pretty straightforward claim for EZY to handle but you’d be wrong. They are making a major meal of it and also trying to duck out off eu261 compensation claiming weather delays elsewhere meant the flight would be affected by curfew at destination (even if that’s true what about an aircraft swap?). Those of us in the Industry know that problems happen and that we are judged on how well we deal with them. I’m afraid it’s easyJet null points

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 16:01
It not in their terms of trading and I don’t believe that they have ever complied with this !
Even the major carriers play lip service these days
Long gone the days BA might put you on a Pan Am 727 to Berlin 😉
Indeed the LCC terms and conditions and indeed many of the legacies budget fare options explicitly state the ticket is NOT an obligation of carriage. The fully flexible economy and business fares only provide that obligation.
And it’s not new Apex fares of old also excluded the obligation of carriage and cover !
Now a legal case might indeed be necessary to test the cases however that’s not going to change thing on the ground right now so to speak
We also need clarity on the full UK rules post B do we not

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 16:23
You cannot write T&Cs of carriage to exclude the need to comply with the law. If you could, then every airline would certainly have ruled out the right to compensation under EU261 by virtue of its T&Cs.

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 16:56
Article 8 – Right to reimbursement or re-routing
“1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
(a) — reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,
— a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;
(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
2. Paragraph 1(a) shall also apply to passengers whose flights form part of a package, except for the right to reimbursement where such right arises under Directive 90/314/EEC.
3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.”

By offering a rerouting on a differing day or time within their network or the full refund and compensation within the time frame they comply !

They are not and again I state obligated to buy you a ticket on a competitor!

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 17:11
BTW the only routing that would work for the above person is via Milan as that’s the only point where someone Manchester could connect onto Munich within the Easy network, short of a coach to the Surrey/Sussex county lines!

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 17:15
I'm beginning to think you must be one of the easyJet customer relations or commercial people.

That interpretation is not sustainable. It says that you are entitled to re-routing at the earliest reasonable opportunity. A reasonable opportunity is a flight with another airline and the CAA as the National Enforcement Body for EU261 takes that view. In the guidance covering cancelled flights, the CAA state:2. Choose an alternative flightIf you still want to travel, your airline must find you an alternative flight. It’s up to you whether to fly as soon as possible after the cancelled flight, or at a later date that suits you.
Although most airlines will book you onto another of their flights to the same destination, if an alternative airline is flying there significantly sooner or other suitable modes of transport are available then you may have the right to be booked onto that alternative transport instead. You can discuss this with your airline.

easyJet, just like any other airline, has an obligation to re-route you which may extend to re-booking you on another airline if that enables you to reach your destination on the day of travel that you have booked.

zambonidriver
8th May 2022, 17:22
This is getting interresting.
I think the operatinve word is "you may have the right to be booked onto that alternative transport instead".

Does anyone know of a case where an airline has been condamed under EU261 for not rebooking you on another airline ?

I don't get me started on the very lenient enforcement of EU261 in general and especially for UK carriers in UK post Brexit...

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 17:58
CAA has repeatedly reminded and warned airlines that they have to consider and offer re-booking onto other airlines where they have cancelled flights.

etrang
8th May 2022, 18:02
Well, just imagine how much worse it would be if Manchester City were actually playing in the final.

willy wombat
8th May 2022, 18:02
Ignoring the CAA’s “may’, above, the regulation is pretty clear at 8.1.b that if the earliest opportunity to reach the destination is via another carrier then that is what must happen if that is what the passenger chooses.

etrang
8th May 2022, 18:07
I advise (sic) you to report this to Manchester City FC. They will certainly want as few Liverpool fans attending the final as possible.

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 18:16
Ignoring the CAA’s “may’, above, the regulation is pretty clear at 8.1.b that if the earliest opportunity to reach the destination is via another carrier then that is what must happen if that is what the passenger chooses.

The regulation is far from clear in that respect and quite deliberately so legally MAY is a very important contractual get out it means and delivers NO OBLIGATION By default on the supplier in any legal procedures
I don’t work in this industry just a customer.
I do own a fire and safety business where contracts and disputes take up a huge amount of my of time !
There are grounds for clarification sure and I said as much especially in view of “B” and what has and hasn’t been incorporated into domestic law.
There remains no obligation for rerouting you on a competitor through, especially if the carrier has offered those other alternatives financial and inter network rerouting and yes paying ground transport costs.
Even then YOU a may have to claim these costs BACK via 261

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 18:37
Rutan16, there absolutely is an obligation to offer you transport on another airline if it's reasonable to do so under the circumstances versus the alternatives your original airline can offer. If you're in any doubt on this, please contact the CAA PACT people and ask them to confirm it to you.

EU261/2004 has been fully brought into UK law after Brexit and the only change is that the fixed compensation amounts were converted into UK£ instead of EUR.

zambonidriver
8th May 2022, 18:57
Rutan16, there absolutely is an obligation to offer you transport on another airline if it's reasonable to do so under the circumstances versus the alternatives your original airline can offer. If you're in any doubt on this, please contact the CAA PACT people and ask them to confirm it to you.

EU261/2004 has been fully brought into UK law after Brexit and the only change is that the fixed compensation amounts were converted into UK£ instead of EUR.

well, my question remains: does anyone know of a single case when this has been enforced (pre or post Brexit) ?

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 19:04

Reasonable and may in these contracts are important however would be subject any argument in a court of law and AFTER THE ALTERNATIVE resolutions have been exhausted as detailed within Regulation 8 above .

Enough meat in the wording to provide again no obligation to buy you a ticket on a competitor, and CAA tacitly know this that’s evidenced by the light touch they are taking imho.A hash worded letter and no teeth doesn’t cut it .

The crux of the argument lies in exhausting the various options above.
Now if we are talking of say stuck in for instance in Moldova then there “may be immediate grounds” to seek assistance

As for cancellation of a programme several weeks in advance there are zero grounds of risk of being stuck and they can cancel and refund, again they have no obligation at that time short of offering you an alternative travel time and date.

That generally meets the standard threshold of reasonable in my experience.

SWBKCB
8th May 2022, 19:10
2. Choose an alternative flightIf you still want to travel, your airline must find you an alternative flight. It’s up to you whether to fly as soon as possible after the cancelled flight, or at a later date that suits you.
Although most airlines will book you onto another of their flights to the same destination, if an alternative airline is flying there significantly sooner or other suitable modes of transport are available then you may have the right to be booked onto that alternative transport instead. You can discuss this with your airline.

This looks to me like the CAA saying "Your on yer own"....

Rutan16
8th May 2022, 19:16
This looks to me like the CAA saying "Your on yer own"....

Sort my point and in agreement and why Albert is wrong in the importance of the two little words may and reasonable and opposed to obligation to !
An obligation to xyz is in no way defined to provide YOU with a ticket on a competitor.

42psi
8th May 2022, 19:36
I think you'll find that the likelihood of a carrier re-routing is possibly related to whether they are part of the IATA ticketing clearence House.

Easyjet and Ryanair (for example) are not.

That means that if they are going to reroute you they must buy the ticket directly from the new carrier.

Airlines that are part of the Iata clearing house can simply issue a new ticket on their own paper to include legs on another carrier. IATA sorts out the billing for the various legs.

For example it's easy for British Airways to reroute someone via Lufthansa. They simply make the reservation via their own system and issue a British Airways ticket showing the LH details for the relevant leg.

When you book with a low cost carrier who is not a member of the IATA clearing house they simply can't do that.

I suspect that may well be why the "rule" is written in that way - those airlines have no mechanism to reroute in that way.

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 19:53
Rutan, if you're in that much doubt, please do take up my offer to ask the CAA PACT (consumer assistance) team. They'll be able to set you straight on what they expect - which isn't what's being described here. No point arguing here as you clearly won't take on board what I'm saying, for reasons I can't fathom. So please just go straight to the regulator and ask!

willy wombat
8th May 2022, 21:41
Rutan - you are placing a lot of stress on “may” but “may” only appears in the CAA note, not in the regulation.

fokker1000
8th May 2022, 22:24
FEP,
What do you do to earn a living mate?

andrasz
9th May 2022, 03:45
FEP
Proper airline business model: we'll get you to your destination
Low-cost business model: we promise to get you to your destination, or if for any reason we cannot, well give your money back

You got what you paid for.

BA318
9th May 2022, 05:22
The EU guidance on this says:

If the airline does not comply with its obligation to offer re-routing or return under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity, it has to reimburse your flight costs.
If the airline does not offer you the choice between reimbursement and re-routing but decides unilaterally to reimburse your original ticket, you are entitled to an additional reimbursement of the price difference with the new ticket (under comparable transport conditions).”

Nowhere is it stated there are any exemptions for low cost airlines etc. This would imply that if Easyjet can’t reroute you then they need to cover the additional costs for the new ticket.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/indexamp_en.htm#reimbursement-cancellation

KAISERSOZE
9th May 2022, 09:04
I understand your frustration. this LCC s..k. But when it goes as planned, it's great.
I just came back from a week holiday vacation in Moroco with the family, out of Spain.
I bought 7 return tickets (big family!) 16€ each. a suitcase is 50€. Ryanair.

So 7 pax plus a few luggages for around 250€ return tickets.

I was really stressed that the company will try to make me pay extra, or deny boarding because of pcr test/vaccine pass/ extra weight/wrong type of mask/ cabin luggage size...etc.

But no, everything went nicely.

So very happy, but I knew that if something goes wrong, I would be on my own, with no support from the company regarding hotel, taxi, return tickets.

BACsuperVC10
9th May 2022, 11:29
Thanks for the replies.

I understand fully that easyJet are in business to make money, that goes without saying. However, that does not make this sort of behaviour acceptable. Cashing in on a quick buck for a one-off sporting event while screwing over existing, loyal customers is no way to run a business. After cancelling my flight easyJet offered me a cash refund or a voucher. Neither of these options get me to Munich. Lufthansa do have a flight on the same dates but over £200 in fare difference. Will easyJet pay the difference? I suspect not. Why should I be out of pocket while easyJet cashes in, at my expense?

Upon further investigation I can see easyJet do not normally fly between Liverpool and Paris however they do have flights out on 27 and 28 May, returning 29 May for a whopping £1,037.28 return. To make way for these flights, on Friday 27 May easyJet has cancelled flight EZY7253 from Liverpool to Krakow and flight EZY7195 from Liverpool to Faro.

Really disgusting behaviour from easyJet.

What makes Easyjet's profiteering really annoying is , Liverpool to Paris /CDG was a very longstanding route with them. They dropped it for Covid but have not reinstated it. Im not very impressed that they are happy just run a few flights because they are going to make a killing, but don't care about the regular traveller to Paris.

Saintsman
9th May 2022, 12:55
I wonder what the OP would do if he had a job to do and someone offered him five times the amount to do a job for them instead?

Would he cancel the original job and offer to do it later, even if it inconvenienced the customer?

It's certainly common practice amongst tradesmen. Are easyJet any different?

SealinkBF
9th May 2022, 13:05
I wonder what the OP would do if he had a job to do and someone offered him five times the amount to do a job for them instead?

Would he cancel the original job and offer to do it later, even if it inconvenienced the customer?

It's certainly common practice amongst tradesmen. Are easyJet any different?

I would hope that an airline the size of easyJet wouldn't follow 'tradesmen' practices. No offence to tradesmen, I've never had a job cancelled!

AirportPlanner1
9th May 2022, 14:20
What makes Easyjet's profiteering really annoying is , Liverpool to Paris /CDG was a very longstanding route with them. They dropped it for Covid but have not reinstated it. Im not very impressed that they are happy just run a few flights because they are going to make a killing, but don't care about the regular traveller to Paris.

To be fair I think that particular criticism is a bit tenuous. One-off flights on unserved routes around a major event (usually sports related) have been going on for decades. The fact it was once a served route and now isn’t is neither here nor there.

virginblue
9th May 2022, 15:00
So I assume, reading comments on this thread, that under UK law it is perfectly legit to walk away from a binding contract if you are an airline?

What a lot of folks do not understand is that Reg. 261/04/EU sets minimum standards and offers specific remedies (such as no-fault compensation), but is by no means exclusive or exhaustive when it comes to passenger rights. All other principles of law still apply, such as breach of contract, non-performance etc. Whether airlines can do away with that in their T&C is, again, a question of general contract law, in this case on unfair terms standards. My guess is that what easyJet does in unlawful, but as inly a few passengers will take them to court over this, it will still make them tons of money.

JumpJumpJump
9th May 2022, 15:59
I must say, the OP has been very quiet since the top half of page one.. is this a contender for one of those "so, the comments section isn't going how you thought I would" awards on social media?

CCFAIRPORT
10th May 2022, 07:24
Not bookable or sold out? It’s the start of the half term I think

there are flights to FAO this weekend (27-28-29)
27 flight is full 186
28 3 seats left (153)
29 flight is full 188

pabely
10th May 2022, 11:27
there are flights to FAO this weekend (27-28-29)
27 flight is full 186
28 3 seats left (153)
29 flight is full 188

28 Is obviously a 319 so capacity might drop to 150 seats if only 3 crew flight!

SWBKCB
10th May 2022, 13:49
A man has slammed easyJet after he was forced to cancel plans for his friend’s 50th birthday party because his flight from Manchester to Munich was cancelled. He claims the cancellation is down to the airline wanting to use the plane to meet demand for the Champions League final.

When approached by the ECHO, an easyJet spokesperson said: “At times airlines need to make adjustments to schedules to accommodate demand and if a flight is cancelled, we try to ensure that changes are made weeks ahead of departure and that alternatives are available so customers are able to rebook.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/man-claims-easyjet-cancelled-flights-23908666

BACsuperVC10
10th May 2022, 15:40
Presume he got his money back, he can rebook on Lufthansa from Liverpool to Munich via Frankfurt now.

Former easyjet pax
10th May 2022, 16:31
Thank you all for all the (sensible) replies.

Other replies are clearly from easyJet employees and paint a damming picture of a toxic company where passengers are treated with contempt and distain, at best. If this is what's said online I can only imagine the conversations that take place within the privacy of the crew room and galley about the very passengers paying your wages. To defend this business decision based on the fact that a now defunct airline once done it is simply staggering. If easyJet wishes to take it's business practices from Alitalia then so be it but we all know what happened to Alitalia. One-off sporting events only come along so often, its loyal customers that keep businesses sustainable. Don't come crying to the public looking for sympathy when it all goes wrong.

Again, thank you to those who contributed with sensible replies.

Kindest regards and best wishes.

Rutan16
10th May 2022, 18:01
Presume he got his money back, he can rebook on Lufthansa from Liverpool to Munich via Frankfurt now.

Or three time daily none stop from Manchester 😉

and he may be able to Claim the difference through I wouldn’t hold my breath what ever others say

SWBKCB
10th May 2022, 18:30

Other replies are clearly from easyJet employees and paint a damming picture of a toxic company where passengers are treated with contempt and distain, at best. If this is what's said online I can only imagine the conversations that take place within the privacy of the crew room and galley about the very passengers paying your wages. To defend this business decision based on the fact that a now defunct airline once done it is simply staggering. If easyJet wishes to take it's business practices from Alitalia then so be it but we all know what happened to Alitalia. One-off sporting events only come along so often, its loyal customers that keep businesses sustainable. Don't come crying to the public looking for sympathy when it all goes wrong.

Can you remind us why you chose to book easyJet rather than Lufthansa?

inbalance
10th May 2022, 18:37
Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

pabely
10th May 2022, 19:56
To defend this business decision based on the fact that a now defunct airline once done it is simply staggering. If easyJet wishes to take it's business practices from Alitalia then so be it but we all know what happened to Alitalia.
Did I miss something, what has Alitalia got to do with this thread?
Remind us the reason why Alitalia went bust after multiple illegal state subsidises.

jethro15
10th May 2022, 19:56
Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
Your post implies that all those working for easyJet are 'Monkeys' If I were working in the front line of the afore mentioned, I would take greater offence at your comment than I currently do.

AirportPlanner1
10th May 2022, 20:06
One-off sporting events only come along so often, its loyal customers that keep businesses sustainable.

You’re right that regular customers need to be treated right. But also fair to point out it’s a one-off/rarity for Liverpool. For pan-European airlines like EasyJet, Ryanair it’s regular and they can shift capacity around the network depending on where the big matches are and who is playing. They will know well the costs/benefits.

DC3 Dave
11th May 2022, 10:00
You’re right that regular customers need to be treated right. But also fair to point out it’s a one-off/rarity for Liverpool. For pan-European airlines like EasyJet, Ryanair it’s regular and they can shift capacity around the network depending on where the big matches are and who is playing. They will know well the costs/benefits.

It is interesting that you mention Ryanair and EasyJet together. It strikes me that the latter has become much more like the former in terms of how to treat customers. That is: If they don’t like it, tough, most will come back. Even if they don’t there are plenty more out there to take their place.

Vokes55
11th May 2022, 12:05
It is interesting that you mention Ryanair and EasyJet together. It strikes me that the latter has become much more like the former in terms of how to treat customers. That is: If they don’t like it, tough, most will come back. Even if they don’t there are plenty more out there to take their place.

Well it's true, isn't it? If the alternative is four times the price, a significantly longer journey or both, then of course they will be back. I've despaired at the service I've received from Southern Railway for the past 10 years, but I still pay them to take me into London every week instead of driving.

As for the thread starter, he'll be back too. He's had his whinge, got his story in the local rag which I'm sure he's proud of. Will be back when the price and route suits him.

Uplinker
11th May 2022, 13:31
...........I can only imagine the conversations that take place within the privacy of the crew room and galley about the very passengers paying your wages........

I have never worked for the airlines mentioned in this thread, but I have worked for three others, so am pretty certain that the actual easyJet crews would be respectful about their customers. At the airlines I flew for, we got the occasional comment about "the lads in row 18, who are being loud and who have been refused any more drinks" or whatever, but in my experience, most aircrew are professional and respectful about the customers, even the difficult ones.

An airline's operational policy is not decided - or even necessarily approved of - by its front line staff.

Edit to add: As far as paying our wages; well I always wondered why myself and the crew were expected to subsidise the cheap tickets through our reduced wages, reduced Ts and Cs and extended duty periods - approaching fatigue in some cases.

You also might not be aware that most pilots pay for their own ATPL training and licence; £50,000 - £100,000, many pay for their own type rating; around £20,000 - £30,000, and some airlines now ask even type rated and experienced pilots to pay £8,000 to the airline if they want a job.

Equivocal
11th May 2022, 22:13

Am I right in assuming that the sensible replies you refer to are those that support your position? It seems to me that the bulk of replies are sensible, most justifying or explaining an alternative viewpoint proposed by the poster. You may not like the business model that EZY appears to be following but, as others have pointed out, part of that model is (often) lower fares than more traditional/legacy carriers, which certainly seems to have been, in part at least, a factor in your choice of carrier. One of the ways that LCCs can offer lower fares is that they do not subscribe to things like IATA membership and interline agreements. As they say, you cannot eat your cake and have it it too.

edi_local
12th May 2022, 18:23

I think you'll find the last thing most public-facing workers want to chat about is customers, good or bad. Once a flight is done the front line staff just move right on to the next one, a whole new load of people to serve and look after in the air. Unless there was some particularly memorable passenger on a flight, the odds are most of them are never thought of or spoken about again.

Making money is what keeps the business sustainable. How they choose to do it is their business and most airlines will have chartered out an aircraft at some point to cover a sudden demand for capacity. They stand to make a lot of money out of catering to those one-off sporting events (which actually happen very often if you consider they serve the whole of Europe, and large-scale events are very much back on the agenda). This may annoy a handful of people on your flight, at most a few dozen, but most of the people affected will have already made alternative plans, forgotten all about it, and will use Easyjet again.

lfc84
16th May 2022, 16:26
OP should just rebook Lufthansa outbound and claim off easyJet for rebooking.

Recently, I had an easyJet flight cancelled 17 days before departure. They automatically put me on one of their own services 18 hours earlier which was unsuitable.

I rebooked on an alternative carrier on the same date as my original booking. Claim was paid by easyJet.

Asturias56
27th May 2022, 11:16
Understand they cancelled a flight out of Inverness yesterday at 2 hours notice and there are no flights today.......................

pabely
27th May 2022, 12:49
Understand they cancelled a flight out of Inverness yesterday at 2 hours notice and there are no flights today.......................
A Flight........BRS. Knock on effect from IT failure yesterday. 2x LGW and 1x LTN ran. Why does this warrant attention on this thread?

Albert Hall
27th May 2022, 12:52
Maybe they were on it ?

The Hurghada pax in the same boat were probably feeling rather worse than the Inverness/Bristol pax though …

Asturias56
28th May 2022, 08:23
" Why does this warrant attention on this thread?"

possibly because people don't always believe what the airline tells them when they cancel a flight?