PDA

View Full Version : Allowable Pilot Maintenance

nreese
5th May 2022, 01:18
All,

Under the CARs for Schedule 8 maintenance that can be carried out on a B class aircraft by a pilot entitled to do so under
sub regulation 42ZC (4) - item 18 states that one is allowed to carry out "Application of preservative or protective materials, but only
if no disassembly of the primary structure or operating system of the aircraft is involved". I have a 152 that needs some areas of the paint touched up, requiring some light sanding, application of primer, and paint. Would it be legal for me to carry this work out myself?

Cheers,

Nick Reese
Floodmore

KRviator
5th May 2022, 02:20
Can't see why not. Only issue might be if it was on a control surface that might be a bit touchy about the balance of said surface, a'la the Beech V-tails, but if done per the C152 service manual, can't see a problem. But IANAL.

IAW
5th May 2022, 02:42
Surely they are referring to anti corrosive applications like dinitrol spray and the like, rather than sanding and painting.

​​​​

AerialPerspective
5th May 2022, 05:49
Surely they are referring to anti corrosive applications like dinitrol spray and the like, rather than sanding and painting.

​​​​

I was under the impression that the intent of Schedule 8 approval was so the pilot could perform routine items that get an aeroplane back to a maintenance facility (flat tyres, replacement of globes, etc.).

Bend alot
5th May 2022, 06:18
All,

Under the CARs for Schedule 8 maintenance that can be carried out on a B class aircraft by a pilot entitled to do so under
sub regulation 42ZC (4) - item 18 states that one is allowed to carry out "Application of preservative or protective materials, but only
if no disassembly of the primary structure or operating system of the aircraft is involved". I have a 152 that needs some areas of the paint touched up, requiring some light sanding, application of primer, and paint. Would it be legal for me to carry this work out myself?

Cheers,

Nick Reese
Floodmore

It has been used by a pilot in Darwin on a 182 - the argument when questioned by a CASA AWI was the reference you used above.

This would have been ok on a small scale. But doing one entire wing, then a month or so later the other wing, then the tail a bit later. Caught doing the fuse.

He was inform it is clearly going to be complete paint job and we will probable "ping" you for that.

So it was clear small sections I.A.W approved data was OK with CASA (in Darwin, on that day, by that AWI -!!).

nreese
5th May 2022, 06:33
Good one, thanks for that. Definitely not a full repaint, just a few patches here and there that need a touch up to prevent corrosion.

Kulwin Park
5th May 2022, 12:01
CASA will probably be against your type of work, because you are working outside the scope of the schedule 8 maintenance limits!!
Pilot maintenance is only for minor items to keep the aircraft flying in an inspection sense.

Sanding skins, applying paint, all falls under the AC43.13A guide of standard practices. Are you using corrosion etch treatment of alumi-prep and surface reconditioning of alodine on the aluminium skins once you have sanded back the conversion skin coating? It's like taking away the anodized coating on a part. If not, then you are wasting your time, as the corrosion will just come back AND you are performing work NOT in accordance with the airframe maintenance manual, which becomes illegal if you don't follow the manufacturers recommendations. Also the type of paint used, both two-pack primer & solid base topcoat must be listed in the consumables manual or standard practices table listed in these approved paints by Cessna.

Basic answer is that you would be not following standard specs.
Easy solution is do it yourself, but be prepared for corrosion to come back, and always check with your issuer of your maintenance release that they are happy for you to do the work.
PS: Don't sand any rivet heads off !!!!!!!!!!!!!

43Inches
5th May 2022, 23:30
Good one, thanks for that. Definitely not a full repaint, just a few patches here and there that need a touch up to prevent corrosion.

Just put aluminium tape over it until it can be dealt with properly. Just painting over aluminium surface will achieve nothing but an odd looking paint splotch that doesn't match. You'll probably get corrosion under that spot unless you follow the process properly, especially if its near folds or joins.

Agree with above that most schedule 8 is to do minor things that don't require structure interference to get you going at a remote location. Only things that simply screw on and off on engines or wheels or similar, lockwiring, etc.... Preventative and Preservative substances would be cleaning agents and waxes for cleaning and such and spraying on corrosion proof stuff (environmental issues aside). Once you mention sanding surfaces, you are not applying it anymore, you are removing aircraft stuff. Pretty sure there's an amount of painting that requires a re-weigh prior to flight.