PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane test flight.

DownWest
3rd May 2022, 15:19
Thought this might be of interest: https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/first-flight-of-the-reaper I had a chat with the pilot, as my father flew with 242 in France.

Anybody know how many currentlyairworthy Hurricanes?
DW

DHfan
3rd May 2022, 16:12
Depending on who you ask, it's about 16 or 17.

Staggering really. I think there were just the two BBMF examples flying anywhere at one time.

This is probably "peak Hurricanes" or very close to it as I think Hawker Restorations are pretty well out of new spar material.

DownWest
3rd May 2022, 16:41
It appears that the swaging machines and people with the knowledge to use them for spars are still being used in UK, so spars are not the problem they were.

DHfan
4th May 2022, 09:23
It's not the machinery or the knowledge that's in short supply.

There is a finite supply of the material used to make the spars.
Hawker Restorations said a few years ago there was only enough material for, I think then, perhaps 5 or 6 more spars.
Presumably some spars had been manufactured then and the aircraft not completed but several have flown since that report.

DH106
4th May 2022, 12:42
There is a finite supply of the material used to make the spars.

Is it a special alloy not used any more in the spars perhaps?

bobward
4th May 2022, 14:13
Try looking out Hawker Hurricane Survivors by Gordon Riley (2015) ISBN -13:9-781-909808-34-8. That might give you a very good start.

DHfan
4th May 2022, 15:32
Is it a special alloy not used any more in the spars perhaps?

Basically - yes.

This is from memory so not absolute gospel but as I recall Hawker Restorations had a batch specially made and rolled.
As of 5 or 6 years ago (?), there wasn't much left...

Alchad
4th May 2022, 17:03
All you need to know!

A complex structure | | World Leaders in Hurricane Restoration (hawkerrestorations.co.uk) (https://hawkerrestorations.co.uk/a-complex-structure/)

Sort of staggering in a way, 80 yeas on and we can't make them anymore, same thing they said about the pyramids I suppose.

Alchad

DownWest
4th May 2022, 18:32
So, realy a question of money. if any real interest was involved, then the alloy steels etc would be sourced.
Not sure if anybody is interested in building a pyramid. A few scale costs compared with re-building an aircraft

uxb99
24th May 2022, 19:51
What's the rationale of performing a test flight with the gear down?

DaveReidUK
24th May 2022, 21:04

First flights are often made without retracting the gear. One less complication to worry about.

Jhieminga
25th May 2022, 07:14
The first flight was a basic test of airframe and engine. The pilot explained that the prop governor needed adjustment for example. Leaving the gear down means one less thing to worry about if there is a serious problem with said engine.

uxb99
25th May 2022, 17:30
Thanks for the replies. I wondered if it was because they didn't have much confidence with the u/c working :-) but know I know.