PDA

View Full Version : Shackleton ASV 21/sonobuoy question

redsetter
3rd May 2022, 08:11
I understand there was some integration between the sonobuoy receiver and the ASV 21 radar in the Shckleton, such that sonobuoy signals could be displayed on the radar display. Or at least -there were trials of that facility. Could anyone confirm if the facility entered service, and if so, what the radar operator saw on his screen ? Thanks.

pmills575
4th May 2022, 06:48
As an ex Radar fitter on Shacks for many years I have never seen such a facility and cannot recall any interface between ASV21 and the Sonics system. I do posses the ASV21 manual and it doesn't detail any connection or input from the Sonics equipment.
Of course it's entirely possible that it was trialed and never reached service. Not really sure what the point would be, it sounds like it may be getting confused with the TAC display on the Nimrod which displayed many inputs.

redsetter
4th May 2022, 19:23
As an ex Radar fitter on Shacks for many years I have never seen such a facility and cannot recall any interface between ASV21 and the Sonics system. I do posses the ASV21 manual and it doesn't detail any connection or input from the Sonics equipment.
Of course it's entirely possible that it was trialed and never reached service. Not really sure what the point would be, it sounds like it may be getting confused with the TAC display on the Nimrod which displayed many inputs.
Thanks. The trials were of the ARR-26 receiver and ASV 21. Sounds like it was not progressed.

Alan Mills
15th May 2022, 16:39
It would have been helpful if the sonobouys were displayed on the radar screen, but it did not happen. There were a few occasions when flying out of Changi that the sea was calm enough to detect the reflections of the sonobouys.