PDA

View Full Version : JAR CLP in USA

mike.oriordan
25th Aug 2002, 20:06
I have just finished ATPL (A) ground exams and want to start the flying bit. Will probably go to AFT in Exeter for IR, but I have heard that it is possible to do CPL under JAR in USA and also S Africa. Can anyone shed any light on this. Otherwise will go to AFT for CPL as well. Did have a a good session with Rainbow Air in Long beach last year, but it all ended on 9/11. UK Flight Training work with Rainbow, but I don't think they go any further than PPL.

It is not so much the money, but the good weather and therefore continuity which will help.

Grateful for any help

GoneWest
25th Aug 2002, 21:59
European Flight Training - Ft. Pierce, Florida.

Excellent tuition - not so good management - may not be able to get you a (legitimate) visa. Expensive.

GoneWest
26th Aug 2002, 00:36
Yep, OFT in Kissimmee are JAA approved - but they do not have any instructors that can do the course!!

In answer to the original question - of a JAA CPL course in USA...EFT are (at the moment) the only viable option. Excellent instruction.

Dennisb
26th Aug 2002, 09:15
I heard that CPL in the USA is not recognized by some European CAA (France ... ) and you can have problems if you want to work in those countries ????

Dennis B.

barnaby
26th Aug 2002, 17:19
I too have just finished the 14 exams and have chosen to do my CPL with OATS at their new facility out in Tyler, Texas. I go out next week so if you're not looking at starting immediately and want to know what the crack is out there than send me a private message and I'll let you know.

They've recently reduced the prices for the CPL and it seems very competitive. Also, I think they may have the odd space here and there over the next few months.

No doubt I'll get the odd reply rubishing OATS but I'm not bothered so don't bother!!!!!

Barnaby

carbonfibre
27th Aug 2002, 15:09
Completed my CPL training in the US, good interesting flying, but relatively easier than the UK, instruction tailored to mass throughput and not the quality. When you do the sums also it was probably a lot cheaper to it in the UK, just pure exuberance made me shoot out there and do it, with the promise of the good weather and so forth.

All i will say is do the sums, not so good as it seems, avoid Florida, you get nice site seeing but little navigation experience. If you got lost there then give up!!! as for EFT met them nice bunch as for the others down the road at Stuart , dont bother you will lose your money

Good luck with the flying:D :cool: :p :rolleyes: :eek:

p.s. dont forget the rules on Visas as of now!! Dodgy area

Just_Another_PPL
27th Aug 2002, 16:37
What school are you refering to in Stuart?

MVE
27th Aug 2002, 17:10
I believe it was the 27th of June that the CAA finally and sensibly relaxed the rules regarding conversion of ICAO IR's ie 40 hours credit instead of 5!

Whilst I realise this wasn't the answer to your question it will now be financially viable to complete a full ICAO CPL/IR elsewhere (ie SA or USA or anywhere that takes your fancy) and then convert to JAA in the UK for a great deal less than JAA CPL/IR alone, especially when you take into account the reduction in flying hours required for the JAA CPL course when you've already got a valid IR!

The only valid JAA approved CPL trainers in SA are FTC of Africa. They used to be FTC of South Africa until recently. I'll leave it to your imagination as to why they changed their name.....and as to why they asked me for a deposit for a course in FTC of SA's name back in April when they were not technically trading!!!:mad: