PDA

View Full Version : Cant get a Class 1, HELP!!!

Speedbird20
25th Aug 2002, 20:05
OK, Im 17 and my eyes are just over the limits for a class 1, I sent my prescription off to the CAA and I got a letter back basically saying, "No you cant get a Class 1 Med". I have allways wanted to be a pilot and Im not giving up now, are there any other options for getting the Med, or becoming a commercial Pilot???
Please, I will consider Laser treatment otherwise!!!
:(

brownbox
25th Aug 2002, 22:08
HI Speedbird,

Sorry to hear of your situation. I too have eyes that the CAA deem to qualify as unfit for commercial flight, but I am older than YOU (a mature 35). I would check up on the CAA webpage that you can indeed fulfil the JAR class one sght requirement with laser eye surgery. If I remember correctly the CAA will just continue to look at your previous prescription BEFORE your eyes were lasered! I think the CAA are a bit conservative ionh the lasering area anyway but I'll have to check myself.

Keep trying and don't give up flying.

loz
26th Aug 2002, 11:00
Hi Speedbird,

Please ,don't give up!!!

You should consider the FAA CPL option ,

check the FAA eyesight requirements on their website.

Good luck,

Loz

FRIDAY
27th Aug 2002, 05:31
Dont give up people.
loz is right go for the FAA route, and I have heard of plenty of cases of students who were in your situation but when confronting the CAA with a FAA med 1 and plenty of hrs they may take a personal consideration, however you need to aim for some commercial postion over there and effectively have hrs in the 4digit area. Speak to the CAA and put forward your case, I am pretty sure if you pin a note on a few bulletin boards not just pprune you may get a reply from a student in a similiar position who is doing just that.
DON'T pack it in just yet.

O and in relation to the laser treatment, Be very careful plenty of airlines will not hire you due to the unknown long term effects of it. However once again the states is different and more flexible in relation to this. If I were in your situation I WOULD marry a yank, not kidding, and get my greencard.

Speedbird20
28th Aug 2002, 08:22
Ok I have another idea that perhaps someone could shed some light on, as a British citizen could I live and work in Canada? They come under the FAA rules don't they, would I be able to get a CPL and train and work as a Flying Instrcutor there, or even fly for an airline. Are there any other countries in the world where a UK citizen would have no problem getting into and training and working? Austraila, South Africa?

Im trying to think of everything, the American route sounds the best option at the moment!!!

PFO
28th Aug 2002, 18:01
Speedbird20

Try doing a search on the web for "The Bates Method".

I believe it is a series of exercises, rules etc for improving your eyesite.

Worth a look - any port in a storm.

Good luck

PFO

ETOPS773
29th Aug 2002, 09:33
Here is what you will do,you can get a class 1 medical from my experiance.
It involves alot of appealing,and you will become a swear word within the CAA,but trust me with this one,its been done by a friend of mine.

You say your just outside the limits.thats good,glad your not waaay out or things might have been a little more tricky.

Now,in the CAA,every time you appeal,you go up the seniority ladder.

Write them a letter,stating you disagree and your appealing;saying your eyesight is only marginal,and see no reason why you cannot operate an aircraft safely.Also challenge them on why the PPL limits are less.

You`ll probably get a letter back..saying no again,and some silly excuse for their reasoning.

Write back,challenge them,stating your appealing;put forward all your arguments...keep on doing this until you get a letter from a doctor with a fancy title,someone furthur up the pyramid.Anyone here know any names???

Then,you are going to write back and tell them that you ARE safe,and you invite yourself to do their eye test,with the chart on the wall with a -5 prescription or whatever the lower limit is,and say if you cannot read the lowest line (2nd to bottom I think) you will accept you`ll not be able to do it and will not bother them anymore,and if you can,your obviously safe enough aren`t you..and therefore if you pass you`ll get a class 1.You passed the test you see...

It has worked several times,go for it,nothing to loose,everything to gain.

pytton
29th Aug 2002, 19:30
SpeedBird!

Don't give up! Check out the FARs: 67.401 (Subpart E, Medical Standards and Certification). The FAA has something called Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) - basically, if you can prove that you can fly safely, you get your mediacal. I personally know one pilot personally who lost one of his eyes and is currently one-eyed: he has an ATPL, over 2000 hours and the last time I talked with him he was getting hired by a regional airline in the US. There are several one-eyed Captains flying for the majors in the US. BTW, has anyone heard about one-eyed Captains in Europe? Also, type in "Wiley Post" into your search engine!

May the Force be with You,

gdnhalley
31st Aug 2002, 22:24
Speedbird20
How close are you to passing the class one, if you could pass the "renewal" rather than the "initial" the limits are slightly different, and they may be persuaded to treat you as a renewal if were to have a foreign CPL.
I managed that way though I'm now 43 and do have a few hours as a PPL, and now hold an FAA CPL.
It is worth looking at if you are close.
good luck

CallandA
3rd Sep 2002, 18:25
Speedbird,

There is a new eyesight correction undergoing trials in the US called corneaplasty where they permenantly re-shape the cornea :eek:. It is reversable/updatable but it could be a few years before it's available to the public in the US even longer for UK. This is all subject to FDA approval though.