PDA

View Full Version : Chinook low flyby vid doing the rounds on Facebook......

Tiger G
30th Apr 2022, 08:12
Real or fake ??

https://www.facebook.com/MatthewRayFranks/videos/5315287968492999

SimonPaddo
30th Apr 2022, 08:16
Can you post a link?

Less Hair
30th Apr 2022, 10:11
The guillotine maneuver. Can this be real with all the boxes?

typerated
30th Apr 2022, 10:14
First a stealthy Blackhawk.

Now a Chinook without rotorwash ?

Thud_and_Blunder
30th Apr 2022, 13:33
Simon,
Like you, I don't see Wastebook/Twatter links owing to my security settings - if you want to see what's being written about, you have to press the "quote" button in the post. When the next page opens, right-click on the URL and open it in another tab.

typerated,
I can definitely see downwash in the video - pale demarcation line along the ground between the ISOs that follows the aircraft.

What a stupid, stupid thing to do - let alone be filmed whilst doing it. Echoes of South Cerney and other tragedies.

NutLoose
30th Apr 2022, 13:45
Twitter link

https://twitter.com/Hoddy1982/status/1520300420379389954

you can watch it on aviation sources page

https://aviationsourcenews.com/news/video-ch-47-chinook-does-extremely-low-fly-past-of-soldiers/

Sue Vêtements
30th Apr 2022, 14:03
All fun and games until someone loses an eye

. . . or a head

albatross
30th Apr 2022, 14:10
I find it very interesting that the helicopter is in a right bank yet not turning.

Old and Horrified
30th Apr 2022, 14:36
Is it my elderly eyes, or is the front rotor spinning the wrong way?

SASless
30th Apr 2022, 14:48
Old....my old eyes saw the same thing but at the very end the Forward Head Blades are in correct sense and in the very final frames seem to be turning in correct sense that agrees with the blade leading edge appearance.

The video shows a not so bright bit of judgement and commonsense......there is a time and place for such a kind of flying but not as seen in the video.....In my most humble opinion.

charliegolf
30th Apr 2022, 14:54
All fun and games until someone loses an eye

. . . or a head

Yes, the South Cerney wazz was a hoot.:(

CG

fdr
30th Apr 2022, 15:15
Fake. the rotor blades on the front rotor are on backward. The front rotor advances on the right side, USA style, the rear rotor advances on the left side, EURO style.... The movie has the front rotor advancing on the wrong side, and that isn't looking at the blade rotation, it's looking at the blade root fitting to the blade inner chord.

The rear rotor in the video is advancing on the left side too.. looking at the root fittings, so, yeah, is fake, da. Would be entertaining to fly a tandem rotor with both rotors advancing on the same side, that is they are clashing in the mesh... opposite direction of the blades over the transmission drive tunnel. Would be fun as far as torque offset goes or yaw pedal, good for the first 0.1 of a second,

Forget about the flight dynamics that are wrong too or the mother of all dynamic rollovers. Forget about the lack of coning...

lelebebbel
30th Apr 2022, 15:40
Yep rotors look identical, and even if you slow it down to 0.25 speed, clearly both spin clockwise. Can't put this down to camera frame rate issues either.

Funny that someone would go though the effort of creating this, which likely took a bit of time, without bothering to find out how a Chinook actually flies

SASless
30th Apr 2022, 15:52
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x1156/ho_chi_minh_city_vietnam_january_war_remnants_museum_us_air_ force_near_saigon_captured_most_popular_museums_138841112_d7 67507958bd8d09ef325dc638be944032297fd4.jpg
Two Chinooks left over from the VNAF, both A Models, on display by the current owners in a Museum in Saigon and one at the The Shanh combat base both have the Rotors attached wrong way around on the forward head.....but obviously are not flyable.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/700x525/65_08025_vietnam_museum_a_700x525_907ffad6439d643df8cdeff0f8 3f91d4b54446fd.jpg

PPRuNeUser0211
30th Apr 2022, 16:12
Simon,

typerated,
I can definitely see downwash in the video - pale demarcation line along the ground between the ISOs that follows the aircraft.

I'm not going to definitely say fake or real, and I'm not going to get involved in rotor speed Vs shutter speed discussions, but on the downwash front I'd say it's highly unlikely to be real - a Chinook leaves a visible wake on a sea's surface at anything below about 100' ASL, to give some context as to how much downwash you can expect. At the heights in that video (10-15' AGL, a standard shipping container is 8ft6) then I'd expect nothing less than chaos, destruction and mayhem immediately behind that cab. There's open container doors and fod everywhere, and nothing moves. The only thing visible under the cab is some shadow, and that could have easily been edited in.

That said, to my eye, a Dutch config CH-47 and a fairly convincing model of one if it is, good eye for detail, though admittedly hard to make out with poor contrast etc.

WB627
30th Apr 2022, 17:30
I'm not an expert on Chinooks, but I am a bit of an expert on containers and IMHO, they look rather large in comparison to the Chinook.

Caveat, I could be wrong :oh:

DaveReidUK
30th Apr 2022, 19:02
Two Chinooks left over from the VNAF, both A Models, on display by the current owners in a Museum in Saigon and one at the The Shanh combat base both have the Rotors attached wrong way around on the forward head.....but obviously are not flyable.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/700x525/65_08025_vietnam_museum_a_700x525_907ffad6439d643df8cdeff0f8 3f91d4b54446fd.jpg

I think the rear rotor is also the wrong way round on this one.

DuncanDoenitz
30th Apr 2022, 20:11
Both rotors have incorrect rotation.

(Or they've installed the cockpit at the wrong end. Easily done; this is why we have duplicate/independent inspections).

Vessbot
30th Apr 2022, 20:23
My vote is "real." A few of the comments (why isn't it turning with the bank, where is the wake) seem to be based on the video speed being real time. It's actually slowed down quite a lot.

As for the blades, we're seeing correct rotation of CCW of the front and CW of the rear when seen from above, but the camera is in that very narrow space, where we're seeing the front rotor from above, and the rear rotor from below. That aside, when looking at a poorly lit silhouette, it's easy to fall into a wrong-way spinning illusion like the spinning dancer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSsoTJA6cA

Also if it was fake, it would have taken a hell of a lot of coordination for all the people to be looking/dodging at the righ time.

30th Apr 2022, 20:37
I agree with Vessbot. I’ve got plenty of hours on chinook and there’s absolutely nothing on that video to suggest it’s a fake. The rotors are definitely turning correctly and the camera pans too fast to allow you to view the areas that would have been affected by downwash. So I’d say that was real.

sagan
30th Apr 2022, 22:08
Worth looking at the longer version as was posted previously by Nutloose.

https://aviationsourcenews.com/news/video-ch-47-chinook-does-extremely-low-fly-past-of-soldiers/

Includes the camera shake/sound as the wake/ wash or rotor tip vortice hits the camera.

30th Apr 2022, 22:22
If I was guessing, as suggested earlier, whilst it’s not completely conclusive from the video, my guess would be that’s a Dutch D model. All of which retired at the end of last year in favour of F models.

Sue Vêtements
30th Apr 2022, 23:32
That aside, when looking at a poorly lit silhouette, it's easy to fall into a wrong-way spinning illusion like the spinning dancer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSsoTJA6cA

I'd say that was fake - given that ballerinas generally don't have such quite spectacular breasts!

Senior Pilot
1st May 2022, 03:12
Worth looking at the longer version as was posted previously by Nutloose.

Includes the camera shake/sound as the wake/ wash or rotor tip vortice hits the camera.

When watching that clip, select 2x speed via the three dots on the bottom right. Double again may be almost true speed, but it all makes more sense when sped up 👍

minigundiplomat
1st May 2022, 05:35
If I was guessing, as suggested earlier, whilst it’s not completely conclusive from the video, my guess would be that’s a Dutch D model. All of which retired at the end of last year in favour of F models.

If it was Dutch, I’d have a fair guess at the guy on the sticks……

DaveReidUK
1st May 2022, 07:13
Yep rotors look identical, and even if you slow it down to 0.25 speed, clearly both spin clockwise. Can't put this down to camera frame rate issues either.

Funny that someone would go though the effort of creating this, which likely took a bit of time, without bothering to find out how a Chinook actually flies

Actually, it's all about frame rate.

Even a minute variation in rotor RPM between the front and back rotors could produce the effect where one or other appeared to be moving in the opposite sense to actual.

Watch any film or video of a helicopter in flight and it's very difficult to discern the direction of rotation from successive frames.

Rory57
1st May 2022, 07:43

Even a minute variation in rotor RPM between the front and back rotors

-would cause complete destruction of the aircraft!

Cornish Jack
1st May 2022, 08:42
Senior Pilot - Spot on ! - it's only the slowed down frame rate which produces the visual oddities. Shown at correct speed, it is (frighteningly) realistic and demonstrates an almost unbelievable level of stupidity by a (supposedly) professional airman.

esa-aardvark
1st May 2022, 08:54
In run-up to GW1 had one of those flying very low over my meadow.

typerated
1st May 2022, 09:37
It has got to be real. But still has me stumped that I can see no evidence of rotorwash - no dust, litter or gear flying - bizarre

Dan Gerous
1st May 2022, 10:06
- no dust, litter or gear flying - bizarre

Given that it is a military site/location, they'd be keeping the area clean anyway.

I can't make out the nationality of the Chinook, but I'm thinking Dutch, as it looks a similar set up to when they have deployed to Carlisle airport in the past.

Sepp
1st May 2022, 10:23
I'd say that was fake - given that ballerinas generally don't have such quite spectacular breasts!

That'll be a D model - extensively enhanced from an A :p

DaveReidUK
1st May 2022, 10:56
-would cause complete destruction of the aircraft!

You're not wrong ... :\

1st May 2022, 11:27
I’m no aircraft recognition expert, just an ex-chinook pilot, but on closer inspection, to my eye absolutely everything about that airframe ties in perfectly with a Dutch D model. As I said, they were retired last year.

SHOULD THAT BE THE CASE….. (I may be mistaken?) It probably wouldn’t be the best advert for the organisation involved?

If it was Dutch, I’d have a fair guess at the guy on the sticks……

In general terms, these things rarely seem to happen in isolation, they generally reflect a track record. Sometimes they demonstrate a culture. The result often being depressingly predictable.

PPRuNeUser0211
1st May 2022, 14:04
Given that it is a military site/location, they'd be keeping the area clean anyway.

I can't make out the nationality of the Chinook, but I'm thinking Dutch, as it looks a similar set up to when they have deployed to Carlisle airport in the past.

That was my point higher up - it isn't a clean site, there's open doors on iso's, tarps and fod all over the place, and even in the lengthened video, at 2x speed or at slowmo there's only a faint waft of wind noise in the microphone (about what I'd expect from a normal day on a windy site). I see nothing to suggest it's real from that, only evidence to the contrary, though I'd also say there's nothing that is 100%, just a balance of probability there.

DaveReidUK
1st May 2022, 15:36
As far as the location is concerned, this might give a clue:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/245x89/derelict_f27ceb1625be5b3e7b5b54b44d5b238c6315e887.jpg

Hard to make out what it is - it looks a bit like a derelict Saeta, but the surrounding don't look Spanish.

Liffy 1M
1st May 2022, 15:53

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/245x89/derelict_f27ceb1625be5b3e7b5b54b44d5b238c6315e887.jpg

Hard to make out what it is - it looks a bit like a derelict Saeta, but the surrounding don't look Spanish.

More like a T-33, I would say - and something liable still to be found on a NATO airfield here and there.

1st May 2022, 16:41
on the downwash front I'd say it's highly unlikely to be real - a Chinook leaves a visible wake on a sea's surface at anything below about 100' ASL, to give some context as to how much downwash you can expect. At the heights in that video (10-15' AGL, a standard shipping container is 8ft6) then I'd expect nothing less than chaos, destruction and mayhem immediately behind that cab. There's open container doors and fod everywhere, and nothing moves. The only thing visible under the cab is some shadow, and that could have easily been edited in.

That ‘fly past’ was flown at considerably higher speed than the slowed down video suggests. As we all know, rotor downwash trails the aircraft. The camera movement does not allow sufficient dwell time on likely areas to determine whether any downwash was present.

albatross
1st May 2022, 17:13
I still say that the helicopter having considerable right bank while not turning and tracking a straight line down the taxiway causes my BS caution caption to illuminate and the warning horn to sound.

Ripton
1st May 2022, 17:18

One for the Which Aerodrome thread in Aviation History and Nostalgia?

PPRuNeUser0211
1st May 2022, 18:13
That ‘fly past’ was flown at considerably higher speed than the slowed down video suggests. As we all know, rotor downwash trails the aircraft. The camera movement does not allow sufficient dwell time on likely areas to determine whether any downwash was present.
Yeah, except that for a considerable portion of the video the area behind the aircraft is visible. Also, how much does downwash "trail" at 15ft exactly? Also the long video shows the aircraft departing into the middle distance which is clearly long enough.

​​​​​​Not a slam dunk, but suspect.

Gordon Brown
1st May 2022, 20:34
One for the Which Aerodrome thread in Aviation History and Nostalgia?

Most threads on Mil aviation should actually be on AH&N.

lelebebbel
1st May 2022, 22:05

Even a minute variation in rotor RPM between the front and back rotors could produce the effect where one or other appeared to be moving in the opposite sense to actual.

Watch any film or video of a helicopter in flight and it's very difficult to discern the direction of rotation from successive frames.

None of the weird backwards blade effects apply to high speed footage with a frame rate far in excess of rotor RPM. The footage looks to be taken at maybe 120-240 fps (default options on most cell phones, gopro etc), the rotor RPM of a Ch47 is 225 or something, or just under 4 per second. In other words, even at the lower end estimate (120fps), the camera records 30 individual frames of the blades rotating, which means that there can absolutely not be any effect caused by the frame rate that would distort the visible rotation or make it seem opposite. A frame is taken every 12 degrees angle of rotation, or every 6 degrees at 240fps, while the blades are obviously spaced roughly 120 degrees from each other.

In fact one could easily determine the frame rate this was shot at based on the expected rotor RPM, by measuring said angle.

Ivor_Bigunn
1st May 2022, 22:40
The video that we are looking at (from aviationsorcenews) is only 30fps.

If it was originally faster, then 3oo4 or 7oo8 frames have been discarded.

IB

SASless
1st May 2022, 22:53

Perhaps the worst nightmare of every Chinook Pilot is for the two Rotor Systems to have "any" variation of RPM between the two Heads.

If that happens....Chinooks become the most efficient sausage making machine known to Mankind.

FullOppositeRudder
2nd May 2022, 02:45
I'm not persuaded that the published clip is genuine; more likely a very clever and imaginative bit of editing - and well done at that. The flypast could almost certainly be valid. What's happening on the ground is probably valid. However for it all to be one authentic clip - shot in real time does not pass scrutiny for many of the reasons already stated above. There is also a surreal aura to the entire sequence; the lighting, the speed (obviously slowed down - but why?). It just doesn't ring true.

There is one further question mark. As far as I am aware, this is the only published clip of the event. If so, that seems very strange given that almost everyone on the ground would have been filming, and we should be seeing multiple contributions from other sources at other locations in the occurance. They may yet appear, and if they do - then I'll moderate my reservations, but until that happens, well, I will hold by my stated reaction so far. Sorry - nice bit of work but ....

fdr
2nd May 2022, 07:51
apart from one set of the blades being put on back to front... forget about the visuals of the direction of rotation, the position of the root fitting and the blade gives the direction of rotation.

The CH 47 is a longitudinal intermeshed copter layout with overlapping rotor disks. The rotors synch like two gears over the center of the fuselage as it is cheaper than paying for a new helicopter every time you add a cyclic input. The front disk advances on the RHS of the helo, the rear disk advances on the LH side, so both sets of rotors crosses the fuselage from the left to the right side.

What side of the blades are seen? The Ch47 has the front disc set at a 9-degree forward cant angle, and the rear disc is set at 4 degrees. longitudinal control comes from altering the collectives at each of the rotors, not altering the disk TPP. So the highest point on the rear rotor disk is always at the rear of the helicopter., same for the front disk. variation of the disk from the offset comes from flap back, which is speed dependent. Roll comes from lateral cyclic input to the disks, and yaw comes from mixing the lateral cyclic between the rotors. That all means that the rear disc's highest point is always to the rear of the helo, so in the 2nd and 3rd image below the rotor blade root fitting is showing a rear rotor that is advancing on the right side of the helicopter, and that is wrong. The frame rate does have the direction of rotation reversing but it also changes partway through the video or appears to, which it shouldn't, where the Nr and the frame rate haven't altered. Sticking with it being false.

A REAL HELICOPTER

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x475/screen_shot_2022_05_02_at_3_09_57_pm_d694c3e600787de3c9a090f f60aabb78b3719f56.png

NOT REAL HELICOPTER

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1040x632/screen_shot_2022_05_02_at_3_06_38_pm_7cf0a0d9c6ce65a140420e0 f7adbde344e9cd7f2.png

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1008x534/screen_shot_2022_05_02_at_3_37_13_pm_ea5d6e108b569d05a4edbdd 4c530b137f0a65ba8.png

arewenotmen
2nd May 2022, 08:26
I agree with FullOppositeRudder, I think it's produced from a flyby of something - much higher - and a flyby of this Chinook, real or not, in other circumstances. Amongst other things the shadows are wrong.

Someone is sat with their legs out of the back, by the way.

2nd May 2022, 17:39
The Ch47 has the front disc set at a 9-degree forward cant angle, and the rear disc is set at 4 degrees. longitudinal control comes from altering the collectives at each of the rotors, not altering the disk TPP. So the highest point on the rear rotor disk is always at the rear of the helicopter., same for the front disk. variation of the disk from the offset comes from flap back, which is speed dependent.

”variation of the disk from the offset comes from flap back, which is speed dependent”?

So why does the chinnie have a level fuselage attitude throughout the speed range then, and how does ‘positive stick gradient’ work? (Both disks will tend to flap back at different rates and create differing translational lifts won’t they?) :rolleyes:

I may look once again at the video, however even if it is a ‘deep fake’ I didn’t see anything wrong with either the orientation or rotation of the blades.

DuncanDoenitz
2nd May 2022, 18:07
From memory (RAF Chinook engineer late 90s) a pair of airspeed-scheduled servos (DASH?) pitch the 2 discs forward to counter flap-back as speed increases, so the fuselage remains horizontal. Pilot has no direct control; its not part of the primary flying controls.

Perhaps someone with more recent experience (and more grey cells) can elaborate.

fdr
2nd May 2022, 18:14
”variation of the disk from the offset comes from flap back, which is speed dependent”?

So why does the chinnie have a level fuselage attitude throughout the speed range then, and how does ‘positive stick gradient’ work? (Both disks will tend to flap back at different rates and create differing translational lifts won’t they?) :rolleyes:

I may look once again at the video, however even if it is a ‘deep fake’ I didn’t see anything wrong with either the orientation or rotation of the blades.

Good point!

"Differential Collective Pitch Longitudinal control is achieved by differential collective pitch (DCP); moving the cyclic stick forward decreases the pitch of the forward rotor and increases that of the aft rotor and vice versa. A differential airspeed hold (DASH) system ensures that a positive stick gradient is maintained throughout the speed range. Longitudinal cyclic trim is incorporated to enable the aircraft to be flown throughout the speed range in a substantially level attitude, thereby reducing drag and stress on the rotor shafts".

SASless
2nd May 2022, 18:40
I shall date myself by saying my last experience on the Chinook was with the mature C Model having cut my baby teeth on the earliest A Models with the fixed landing gear (one of them I learned to fly Chinooks in is now in the Fort Rucker Museum).

In my time the Speed Trim system (being called DASH) by some here.....consisted of electrical servos that would controlled by air pressure created through the Pitot Static system with the changes in airspeed.

The system was switched ON by Checklist....and once turned own did its own thing....with Cockpit Instrument Panel Indicators (one for each Rotor Head) showing the position of the Servos. In the event of a failure of the automatic system there was a Manual Option that required constant input by the Crew and also provide a means to manually retract the Speed Trim Servos before Landing.

If the Crew put the Trim into Manual and forgot to manually retract the Servos....an extraordinary stress was applied to the Aft Vertical Shaft on the Aft Transmission and also caused an unusual landing attitude.

The purpose of that system was to level the fuselage during cruise flight and eliminate drag.

Lots have been said about the "Positive Stick Gradient" requirement imposed by the Army and FAA (the S-76 was labored with similar problems) but in real life use....most Pilots cannot identify when that system is working or not unless they see a Instrument Indication to that effect.

Monkey Memory accrues from comparing a cyclic stick position to Pitch Attitude/Air Speed and then moving the Cyclic to achieve the result desired....then repeated throughout the flight.

lelebebbel
3rd May 2022, 04:59
The video that we are looking at (from aviationsorcenews) is only 30fps.

If it was originally faster, then 3oo4 or 7oo8 frames have been discarded.

IB

It's recorded at a high frame rate and then played back at 30fps to create the slow motion. For example, playing a 120fps recording at 30fps creates 0.25x playback speed which is in the ballpark of what we are looking at. If it was recorded at only 30fps and then played back at reduced speed for slow motion, it would look like a slide show at 8fps

3rd May 2022, 17:06
SASless

Lots have been said about the "Positive Stick Gradient" requirement imposed by the Army and FAA (the S-76 was labored with similar problems) but in real life use....most Pilots cannot identify when that system is working or not unless they see a Instrument Indication to that effect.

I’m afraid I don’t understand this?

Nobody can be in any doubt whatsoever whether they have a positive (or negative) stick gradient. Absolutely no “Instrument Indication” required. (Or available?)

Unless we are talking about two very different things?

Here:

In my time the Speed Trim system (being called DASH) by some here.....consisted of electrical servos that would controlled by air pressure created through the Pitot Static system with the changes in airspeed.

The system was switched ON by Checklist....and once turned own did its own thing....with Cockpit Instrument Panel Indicators (one for each Rotor Head) showing the position of the Servos. In the event of a failure of the automatic system there was a Manual Option that required constant input by the Crew and also provide a means to manually retract the Speed Trim Servos before Landing.

You are clearly conflating DASH with the LCTs. Two very different systems.

You also spoke about “A Models with the fixed landing gear”. I never flew the A model, but I was unaware there was any significant difference in the gear between the various models?

SASless
3rd May 2022, 17:32
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CH-47_Chinook#/media/File:HC-1B_in_flight_being_tested_and_evaluated.jpg

Note the double wheeled gear on the aft end.

Later versions of the A Model and subesqeunt went to a single wheeled version with each aft gear being able to castor independently with one strut having a power steering actuator controlled by the Pilot.

What experience do you have on the Chinook?

The difference between the various Models, Marks, Operators and in between would create a number of differences in our frames of reference.

3rd May 2022, 18:19
What experience do you have on the Chinook?

A fair amount actually. Certainly enough years of operations to understand the difference between DASH, (which gives utterly unmistakeable “positive stick gradient” with no cockpit indication - when I flew them) and LCTs which give a level fuselage attitude and present indications in the cockpit. “One for each rotor head.” These are what had a manual mode. Not DASH.

Maybe I misunderstood your post?

As I explained, I never flew the A model, so was unaware of the ‘fixed gear.’

chinook240
3rd May 2022, 18:57
Loving the thread drift into how Boeing’s finest product flies!

I’ve also seen similar vids of a Dutch CH47 conducting equally low fly pasts. Can’t say whether this one is fake or not but I could believe it’s real.

SASless
3rd May 2022, 19:02
Am I right to think DASH works with the autopilot system.....something the Aircraft I flew did not have.

The A's and B's had SAS only, and the C's had SAS and PSAS.....and DASH was unheard of at that time.

Are you calling LCT the Speed Trim system I described.?

Was your experience gained in the RAF version of the aircraft and if so....how did they differ from US Army versions?

I seem to recall the RAF had quite some problems wtth MOD Air Worthiness Approvals that centered around the Avionics.

chinook240
3rd May 2022, 19:27
Looking at this old B model tech manual diagram, I would say the speed trim is what we would now call the DASH, which is fully automatic, has no manual override or position indication in the analogue cockpit display we currently have. LCTs are still LCTs. http://www.243rdfreighttrain.org/Chinook_Familiarization_Manual.pdf

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1945x1416/21adcfaf_21cd_475e_bf5f_15709aadbb31_6479d1cae951e1a09833278 be0b0e91b0758aade.jpeg

Thrust Augmentation
3rd May 2022, 21:08
1st thought was fake, but looking at the reaction of the entire audience there is definitely something flying low over head, Chinook or not.

Karup Air Base has a T-33 on a short stick somewhere, NATO Hardened shelters on open ground & the truck at bottom right, towards the end of the video looks like it's a 4 axle in camo, possibly a Dutch military Scania R124 with a trailer.

cynicalint
3rd May 2022, 21:19
I think it is an air-to-air shot of a Chinook flying straight and level, in formation with another aircraft. then the film is skewed port by 30(ish) deg and superimposed on the footage of another flypast with the aircraft flying just out of the frame at the top, leaving just enough room to put the Chinook imagery below that of the aircraft, apparently, closer to the ground.

SASless
3rd May 2022, 23:52
4468, It would appear we are having a Apples and Orange's discussion when we each talk about our recollection of the Chinook.

I qualified my experience ending with the C Model having flown a lot of A models, some B models, and C-, full C models in the standard US Army Configurations.

Chinook 240 kindly provided a copy of the CH-47 Familiarization Manual that addresses the LCT system which I knew as the Speed Trim System.

DASH was not installed on any of the Models I flew.

That was part of the upgrade to the D Model.

The D Model Operators Manual I linked has a description of the AFCS Components in Section 2-5-7 (d) and (f) where the Differential Air Speed System (DASH) is discussed and mentions that it incorporates airspeed hold above 40kts and also provides positive stick gradient through the autopilot.

So....does this clarify things a bit for you.

You are talking D Model or later when you talk DASH and PSG services it provides.

That does not apply to earlier models of the US Standard Configuration A-C Models.

Here is the Army Operators Manual for the D Model.....perhaps not the latest edition but good enough for our purposes.

http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/Publications/CH-47D_Technical_Publications/Operators_Manual/TM_1-1520-240-10.pdf

If you move to page 51 of the Fam Manual provided by 240.....you can see a discussion and diagram of the LCT or Speed Trim System as I have described it in an earlier Post.

You can see the DCP Link in the diagram.

That is controlled by the Trim Wheel in the Cockpit which moves the cyclic fore and aft and its position is indicated by a display. marked in "Inches of Displacement".

The use of that Trim Wheel is for comfort purposes primarily and has limitations for on-ground use.....in the A-C Models it was a Two inch Aft of center Cyclic movement with the DCP adjusted to Zero.

The other half of the DCP actuator acts to facilitate a Positive Stick Gradient.

In my Operational Unit anytime that Actuator (either half of it) went U/S it was noted in the Maintenance Record of the Aircraft and labeled "In-Operative"....with no limitations on Flight applying.

In the D Model Operators Manual we see an Altitude Hold Capability which was not present on the A-C models.

JohnDixson
5th May 2022, 00:41
Thanks to SAS for a PM- could not recall the name of what was, in the CH-47A I flew from 1963-65 called the Differential Collective Pitch system, whose function was similar to the Pittch Bias Actuator in the S-76. The early UH-60’s had them as well, until the Army decided to take them out because: 1) they were a maintenance headache, and )2 the pilots couldn’t tell whether it was on or off anyway ( something we had told them a long time before that ).
The speed trim really wasn’t put in to provide a level fuselage attitude-that was only partly true-the other part was that it was there to reduce the main rotor shaft bending loads at speed and thereby allow for a higher shaft component replacement time. You might recall some difficulties the USMC had with pilots using the CH-46 speed trim manually to control attitude during approach to an LZ in Vietnam. Think they had at least one shaft failure as a result.
( Background: after flight school I had wangled an assignment to the Test Board at Ft Rucker. The prototype 47A’s they had ( 3 of them ) had been landing at various spots around Ft Rucker, and maybe it was the landing on the golf course* that got me, a 2nd LT into getting a Chinook checkout, and by two of the Boeing Test Pilots to boot, as they were there to assist the program. One could ask them questions and get very straight and detailed answers. It was ironic that after a short tour there and a visit to SE Asia, I wound up at Sikorsky, and while the CH-53A could fly rings around the CH-47A I’d get into some “interesting” conversations over the years with SA folks who failed to pay attention to the gradual and effective improvement programs the Army and Boeing effected into the Chinook product line.
*there were two explosive failures of the nose gearbox, traced to a gear resonance and which caused nose gear box failure and parts etc being ingested into that side’s engine with very noisy further results. Another ship had what was referred to as floating SAS links, resulting in a ship rolling on its side. Lastly, there was an aft shaft bearing failure, in which the crew was able to get it on the ground on the north part of Cairns AAF, but th blades hit the tunnel and the engine controls were cut, so they were shut down via a fire truck directing their turret into the inlets, one at a time. I happened to be landing at the north helipad and folks were running across the path to my tie down in front of me, so I turned the D model around and watched all of this one. No injuries. Anyway, the field grade types started finding other things to do. Except one: we had a civilian Joe Givens who was an O-6 in a USMC fighter sad at NAS New Orleans and he still flew them. Turned out later that this Joe Givens was in the same F4U-4 squadron in the S. Pacific with Byron Graham, my future boss as Ch Exp pilot at Sikorsky. Sorry, had to keep the record straight re field grades.

mickjoebill
5th May 2022, 07:14
Anyone care to calculate the aircraft speed, based on known dimensions of objects in the frame?

If you were to plan a ultra low level flyby, what speed would you choose? (clearly the troops were given enough warning to climb the containers)

Can we use the rotor rpm to crosscheck the above (probably not but worth asking)

Numerous cameras in use but only one video published thus far?
The plastic cone positioned camera right is unmoved?
No markings or insignia discernible?

On the other hand...
The reflection of blades in the puddle is convincing.
At the end of the clip, the image slightly brightens when the operator sticks his finger into frame. The aircraft brightens to the same degree. (requiring an exceptional commitment to detail, if it were a fake)

Mjb

SASless
5th May 2022, 12:50
If you were to plan a ultra low level flyby, what speed would you choose?

The Big Boys tell me they go as fast as the old girl will go....stopping at the first Red Line reached....and not worry about the Dental Work.

Of course I know naught of such childish, dangerous, unprofessional antics as seen in the Video....why that would inject some fun into helicopter flying and that just isn't the done thing anymore.

Peter Fanelli
6th May 2022, 20:20
I might be wrong, but don't the engines sound rather normal when the aircraft passes the camera despite the video being slowed way way down?
I would expect them to have a much lower sound.

Herod
6th May 2022, 20:51
SASless; .why that would inject some fun into helicopter flying and that just isn't the done thing anymore.

Seems so. As a friend has said, back in the day we were "Professional Hooligans"

llamaman
6th May 2022, 21:06
SASless;

Seems so. As a friend has said, back in the day we were "Professional Hooligans"
I was part of that era too. It claimed lives unnecessarily, not funny and in no way professional.

Herod
6th May 2022, 21:18
Maybe a sense of humour failure. The critical word was "professional". Professional enough to keep the right side of dangerous. It was the amateur hooligans who got into trouble.

SASless
6th May 2022, 21:56
You suppose some folks got "old" for good reasons besides blind staggering Luck?

Nil_Drift
7th May 2022, 14:08
Maybe a sense of humour failure. The critical word was "professional". Professional enough to keep the right side of dangerous. It was the amateur hooligans who got into trouble.
When I was instructing I would use the mantra "You've got to be good to be gash". After a theatrical pause I'd continue "But if you were good, you wouldn't be gash!"
There are parallels with the F16 female OC thread. I had been told "Rules are for the guidance of the wise" and, while I can understand why such a comment would be made, these days particularly, rules are for everyone, with no exceptions.

SASless
7th May 2022, 15:35
This thread has headed down the proverbial rabbit hole me thinks.

It started off discussing whether a video was real or fake....and never decided that despite lots of effort....some good....some we could have done without.

Now we have seen a shift to bashing unseen.....unrecorded....purely imaginary similar exploits of airmanship.

The ultimate comment could be translated into an old adage that took quite a bit of bashing itself after a bit of unpleasantness......"Befehl Its Befell!".

Time to move on I would suggest.

Nil_Drift
7th May 2022, 16:49
This thread has headed down the proverbial rabbit hole me thinks.

But isn't that part of the living history that is PPRuNe? Over the years some of the most enjoyable reading has veered significantly from the thread starters words, gone down numerous rabbit holes and sometimes recovered and sometimes not. There's never a dull moment [well, sometimes] and on the whole it's all a good stirring of the pot of memories.

SASless
7th May 2022, 17:12
But that is so unfair to those of us with failing memories!:uhoh:

mike rondot
8th May 2022, 22:53
I'm not sure anyone would put the rotor blades this close to the dirt, but it was painted to make the viewer uncomfortable looking at it....

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/500x499/67_bdbn_big_but_smaller_copy_fb_copy_9b8fd591c4147f6d88a60e7 e0d843f25a1d731a3.jpeg