PDA

View Full Version : Boarding music of old

sp3ctre
22nd Apr 2022, 15:09
I am racking my brains but I cannot remember the UK operator who used to play "No more I love you's" by Annie Lennox as the boarding music. Does anyone remember? It will have been around the 1994 - 2000 era I think and was probably one of the package tour operators.

Musket90
22nd Apr 2022, 20:25
I don't know the operator for the Annie Lennox song, but I distinctly remember a First Choice B767 flight I was on in late 2000's played Radiohead. It sounded very eerie and depressing, perhaps appealing to some but not my cup of tea.

sp3ctre
22nd Apr 2022, 20:27
Thanks for the reply... it was a 2wentys holiday so it will have been Thomson/TUI, I guess... can't find anything online though.

PAXboy
23rd Apr 2022, 09:57
This question reminded me of how much I hated boarding music. It was on before you boarded and, on arrival, after 'welcome' PA it was turned on. I never heard boarding music that I liked. Terrible audible wallpaper.

easyflyer83
24th Apr 2022, 01:20
Britannia used to play ‘surfing USA’ and ‘walking on sunshine’ a lot in the 90’s.

S.o.S.
24th Apr 2022, 11:04
I cannot recall ever hearing a tune I recognised, leave alone liked!

Expatrick
24th Apr 2022, 11:56
I recall Vivaldi on the MAN - LHR BA shuttles, back in the '80s.

DaveReidUK
24th Apr 2022, 13:35
I recall Vivaldi on the MAN - LHR BA shuttles, back in the '80s.

All through the year, presumably ...

alf5071h
24th Apr 2022, 16:03
“Earthflight” + video; AA

PAXboy
24th Apr 2022, 19:59
DRUK But would they remember to change the tapes? Also, if a sector in January was LHR-SYD, would they change the tape for arrival?

cjhants
25th Apr 2022, 10:03
I remember Virgin Sun on their flights to the costas used to play Oasis’ Cigarettes and Alcohol, which I thought was quite appropriate.

Mr Mac
25th Apr 2022, 13:28
You have set my mind off with the EK one which seems to have been around for sometime now, though not a song as such just music of a sort.

Cheers
Mr Mac

PAXboy
25th Apr 2022, 19:16
In my Facebook feed today I was presented with a travel related article that starts:
From soundbaths and curated playlists to AI-powered lobby music, audio experiences are sweeping the travel industry, with hotels and spas exploring innovative new ways to soothe and seduce
NO.

I have left shops without buying anything soley because of the music. I do not need someone trying to invent a 'soundscape' for me. I wish to hear the real world - as it is. This is why I have never wear headphones on the Tube or when walking - I want to know what is happening around me.

nuisance79
26th Apr 2022, 12:35
BD's low cost arm bmibaby (WW) would often play 'Be my Baby' in the earlier days.

PAXboy
26th Apr 2022, 15:53
Did BCal use California Girls when they made those dreadful TV adverts?

Hew Jampton
26th Apr 2022, 16:51
One of the Britiah Midland stewards on bucket and spade flights to the Med etc would put on his own tape of Woah, I'm going to Barbados Woah, I'm going to barbados - YouTube

S.o.S.
26th Apr 2022, 20:33
Well, I've not heard THAT song in a long time.

Warning: Thread Drift
{That's OK S.o.S. permission granted}

What would you like to have as boarding music?

Mr Mac
26th Apr 2022, 20:44
S.O.S
How about “You got to get out of this place” certainly my feelings on some carriers in the past 🙂

Cheers
Mr Mac

Uplinker
27th Apr 2022, 16:14
I still like the Flower Duet, can't remember which opera or composer, Deleib ? that BA used to use.

DaveReidUK
27th Apr 2022, 17:45
From Lakmé, by Delibes.

PAXboy
27th Apr 2022, 21:22
On arriving at MSY (Louis Armstrong, New Orleans) The Animals: The House of the Rising Sun.

AA_1A
28th Apr 2022, 06:11
I need to really ponder specific boarding music, since after way too many screaming toddlers, we went Astraltune/Walkman as soon as the technology allowed.

As a follow-up to Paxboy's excellent suggestion, here are a couple more "curated" boarding, TOD, and/or arrival tunes out of so many more:

"Oh, Atlanta" (Little Feet). ATL/PDK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTz8g8yh8GY
"Doraville" (Atlanta Rhythm Section). PDK
"My Kind of Town" (Sinatra).
"Lincoln Park Pirates" (Steve Goodman).
"I Left My Heart..." (Bennett). SFO/OAK
"Sweet Home, Alabama" ('Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd)*
"Burn On" (Randy Newman). CLE/BKL
"Coming into Los Angeles" :=
"Los Angeles" (X).

*Or maybe, not, considering.....:sad:

S.o.S.
28th Apr 2022, 15:02
Good selection AA 1A and welcome to the cabin, even though it looks as if you have been loitering with intent in the departure lounge for some time!

New York has far too many songs already but I do recall Art Garfunkel singing 'A Heart In New York' with the opening stanza;
New York, to that tall skyline I come, flyin' in from London to your door
New York, lookin' down on Central Park
Where they say you should not wander after dark
He sang this at their concert in Central Park recorded in 1981 - after dark! That line got a great cheer.

Uplinker
28th Apr 2022, 15:43
Delibes, thanks Dave :ok:

AA_1A
28th Apr 2022, 17:57
Hi S.o.S., and thank-you very much for the warm welcome! I am certain that that would have been a magical event to have attended!

And on the other side:

No matter who the framer is, "Another One Rides The Bus" (Yankovic) should greet boarders, when ever the airline SLF configuration really packs 'em in.:(

It is highly recommended to never, ever air "Burning Airlines Give You So Much More" (from Eno's 2nd consecutive outstanding release "Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)", at any point or any place even remotely associated with air travel. Strong rumor has it that the Turkish Airlines 981 tragedy was a source.

"Bermuda Triangle" (Fleetwood Mac) is also advised against, especially in that part of the world, or perhaps any were even remotely proximate to bodies of water bigger than small ponds.

Keep 'em coming Cabinistas!

Thanks again S.o.S. for the nice welcome! :)

Peter47
29th Apr 2022, 09:38
Probably not Saxon 747 (Strangers in the night).

S.o.S.
29th Apr 2022, 10:49
Cabinistas?? Very Good, you've earned an upgrade.

cjhants
29th Apr 2022, 14:07
As we have now moved on to songs we might like to hear on boarding, perhaps endless flight written by Andrew Gold. Had one of the great lines for someone afraid of flying

“the look the captain gave, was it confidence or fear”.

redsnail
29th Apr 2022, 15:21
A former PPRuNe member "Slasher" used to play "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC as boarding music when he was flying B737s in Vietnam :D

kar42
29th Apr 2022, 15:54
Perhaps not Boarding Music but one for holding overhead.

Wheels Ain’t Coming Down - Slade

PAXboy
30th Apr 2022, 00:23
It is 01:20 and I can't get to sleep, what music to listen to:

"I Left My Heart in SFO..."
"99 Miles From LAX"?
Given there is a TUL, you don't have to be "24 Hours From Tulsa".

:rolleyes:

PAXboy
30th Apr 2022, 15:06
In the car today, listening to a golden oldies channel and a couple of songs by Glen Campbell came on. Both written by Jimmy Webb
Three verses starting:

By The Time I get To PHX ... (but might be going to AZA).
By the time I make ABQ ...
By the time I make OKC ... (assuming he was going to the City, rather than the state in general)

On the other hand, if he was the ICT Lineman ...

Must be time for a snooze, let me just put the seat into full recline. :zzz:

Hew Jampton
30th Apr 2022, 17:43
Not boarding music but landing music: Qantas playing I still call Australia home. I know it was used in their advertisements and the safety briefing but on the aircraft for landing I don't know whether it was an official tape or put on by a crew member. Either way, very appropriate.

S.o.S.
30th Apr 2022, 17:47
PAXboy - you do need more sleep.

OK, Cabinisters(!) The CC have served a great meal with just the right amount of refreshing beverages. Put your seats to full recline, we are in C (minimum) preferably F, you have at least six hours to destination (unless you want to pick QF to PER or DRW): what would you have as a lullaby? Music? Podcast?

Mentioning Oz reminds that I have a lovely CD given to me by an Ozzie friend that blends sounds of the rainforest with some music, not too much of either. I might suggest it to PAXboy for his apparent sleep problem. ;)

muggins
30th Apr 2022, 18:05
Eight Miles High - The Byrds

"Eight miles high and when you touch down, you'll find that it's stranger than known"

AA_1A
2nd May 2022, 00:42
.....what would you have as a lullaby......Here are a few prime candidates that work for me: "Brahms - The String Sextets - OP.18 & 36 - The Cleveland Quartet with Zukerman and Greenhouse", "Chick Corea * Return to Forever", Caravan's "In the Land of Grey and Pink", Cowboy Junkies "The Trinity Sessions", Elvis Costello and the Attractions "Imperial Bedroom".

TCU
2nd May 2022, 16:30
A former PPRuNe member "Slasher" used to play "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC as boarding music when he was flying B737s in Vietnam :D

I've been enjoying this thread, but kept shtum on a long ago experience because it was so daft.....but I am wondering if redsnail has unlocked the key as to how this possibly happened....a mischievous ex-pat crew?

16th April 2003. Wuhan - Hongqlao on a China Eastern 737-800 B-2665. One of those flights where ere you are the only European face at the gate. As I take my seat, I pick up the gentle rhythm of Living Next Door to Alice on the PA.....its not blasting out, just there in the background. Except its not the Smoke version, but Roy Chubby Browns re-interpretation......oblivious to the other 100 or so pax and the diligent cabin crew going about their pre-take-off business.

PAXboy
3rd May 2022, 16:11
I have had insomia from the day I was born, so am used to using music from teenage days with a radio. Unfortunately, there were no easy DC power units or recharable batteries so it cost a lot.

My list includes music by Enya, classical Spanish guitar, tune on the harp and some CDs from Mali and South Africa. In the last couple of years, I have listened to a lot of Podcasts. The next day, I can rewind to the last bit I remember and listen to the rest! I choose ones that have a quiet voice but information.

Friends sent me links to these 'whispering' podcasts 'ASMR'. Firstly, I can't hear what is being said and I need my mind to focus on something to distract from the fact that I am still awake! Secondly, someone telling me to go to sleep has not worked in 65 years, so it will not work now! The music ones seem to delberately have no tune or theme - one again that would allow my mind to wander over all the things it wanders over when I am NOT listening to music. Thus it cannot possible help.

S.o.S.
4th May 2022, 12:21
Wow, that sounds very uncomfortable PAXboy.

TCU I have never heard Roy Chubby-Brown sing and I'm not sure I wish to try that out.

Ancient Observer
6th May 2022, 11:20
Jon Astley's "Everyone Loves the Pilot (Except the Crew)

S.o.S.
6th May 2022, 12:22
Joan Armatrading. Don't "Drop The Pilot"

redsnail
6th May 2022, 19:50
Paxboy, you should try reading my OM-A. Guaranteed to put me asleep.

Flying Hi
24th May 2022, 15:48
I'm for "Leaving On A Jet Plane" by John Denver.

PAXboy
24th May 2022, 19:09
Gordon Lightfoot, Early Morning Rain
Lyrics include:
Out on runway number nine a big 707 set to go
And, I'm stuck here in the grass where the pavement never grows
Now, the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast
Well, there she goes, my friend, she'll be rolling down at last

Hear the mighty engines roar, see the silver wing on high
She's away and westward bound, far above the clouds she'll fly
There the morning rain don't fall and the sun always shines
She'll be flying over my home in about three hours time

This old airport's got me down, it's no earthly good to me
And I'm stuck here on the ground as cold and drunk as I can be
You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train
So, I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain

AA_1A
24th May 2022, 19:14
Alright! Great additions to the playlist(s)!

Here's one more for now: I Love Paris

More additions to the banned tunes list:
Enola gay(Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD)): RJOA, RJFU & pretty much any destination in Japan.
Thank Heaven for Little Girls: When ever R. Polanski is on the manifest? :eek:

And for the "Possibly Not A Good Idea" list:
Up in the Air, Junior Birdmen

Flying Hi
24th May 2022, 19:24
I'm surprised nobody has come up with this one -
For all flying swingers out there - "Come Fly With Me* - Frank Sinatra

Mr Mac
25th May 2022, 14:12
Anybody mention Steve Miller Band “Jet Airliner” even gives a shout out to the good old 707 the plane of my youth. On the same note Beatles “Back in the USSR “ screaming jet engine at the start maybe a 707, anybody know ?

Cheers
Mr Mac

Flying Hi
25th May 2022, 14:47
Anybody mention Steve Miller Band “Jet Airliner” even gives a shout out to the good old 707 the plane of my youth. On the same note Beatles “Back in the USSR “ screaming jet engine at the start maybe a 707, anybody know ?

Cheers
Mr Mac
My money's on the 707 although the opening sequence starts with a prop job overflying the camera. Lol.

AA_1A
26th May 2022, 15:07
Mr Mac: two vital tunes! If one still harbored any doubts that The Music Must [and will!] Change after SPLHCB, getting smacked in the brain with the opening jet blast salvo of the Beatles great play on Chuck Berry's Back In the U.S.A./The Beach Boys cleared that right up! Definitely on the playlist for flights headed to any of the countries mentioned. :ok:

Steve Miller/Ben Sidran's well qualified contender, Going To Mexico, gives him at least two playlist entries.

Flying Hi
26th May 2022, 15:47
Those with long memories may well recall Typically Tropical's recording of "Oh, we're going go Barbados". from 1975. Great fun. Not a real band, just Sessioners having fun. 'Fly away with Coconut Airways'. Lol.
Big hit in UK.
Lots of sequels to it - Going to Ihiza by Vengaboys for one.

AA_1A
26th May 2022, 16:22
Cabin Crew will understandably not take kindly to The Replacement's "Waitress in the Sky" (no matter what the actual intent was), so it is best to leave that one out.

Zombywoof
27th May 2022, 00:37
Departing for Jamaica?

"Dreadlock Holiday" (10CC)

PAXboy
27th May 2022, 11:36
Barcelona

Freddie Mercury & Montserrat Caballé
George Ezra
Ed Sheeran

eckhard
27th May 2022, 12:32
Whatever the airline decides to play, could they please keep the volume down?

A few times recently I've had cabin crew explaining the operation of the over-wing exit in French, wearing a mask, and battling against some loud music. I nodded and gave a thumbs-up, while displaying the safety card and pointing at the instructions on the seat-back in front of me, but I didn't understand a word.

I don't know the name of the music that Qatar Airways uses but it's slowly driving me mad.......

S.o.S.
27th May 2022, 13:43
On my most recent BA long haul earlier this year, I did not notice boarding music. Have they stopped or am I going deaf?

GROUNDHOG
27th May 2022, 19:03
Flying without wings?

AA_1A
19th Jun 2022, 14:59
Joan Armatrading. Don't "Drop The Pilot"Along that line, Reginald Kenneth Dwight/Bernie Taupin's powerful "Take Me to the Pilot". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0xN499IXE

Hoyt Axton's "Never Been to Spain" as travel inspiration.