PDA

View Full Version : Getting the right to work abroad

kebabman
21st Jan 2001, 19:04
It may seem like im hogging this forum, but i just want to find out as much as i can before i jump into the deep end...!
How can I get the right to work abroad, as sunny england is getting me down! If I get my atpl, how do I go about working in the states for united (or whoever) or in oz? As qantas have always seemed like a good choice for me? cheers, kebabman. and no, im not turkish.

Dizzy
21st Jan 2001, 23:15
Kebabman,

I have asked this question previously, and the resounding reply was:
"Forget the States unless you have a green card." The only way to get that is by marrying someone out there!!!
The States may change their hardline on not giving green cards to aviators - especially as they are facing a dire shortage over the next ten years - but the doors have not opened yet and I can't see it on the near horizon.
As for the other countries you mention - sorry: "I know nothing!"
Best of luck ( and if you find out any good answers to your question - please let me know)

WX Man
23rd Jan 2001, 15:39
Even if you do apply to be a 'Diversity Immigrant' (to all intents and purposes, these are Green Card holders), you won't get the permit issued until October 2003.

And if you're from the UK, apparently we've never met the criteria for countries whose citizens are eligable to apply to the Visa Lottery. Unless you can marry a nice young american lady (which, incidentally, is illegal if you do it for the purpose of obtaining a visa) getting the right to live and work there is very difficult.

If you have exceptional abilities, you might qualify under the temporary work permit scheme... but quite what is construed as being an 'exceptional ability', I don't know! I can do card tricks, but I really think that you need more than the ability to imitate Paul Daniels.