PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the ATP age for pilot shortage.

Jot241
14th Apr 2022, 23:13
Can we lower the ages for SIC ATP and or PIC ATP to help with the pilot shortage? Does the industry have time to wait four years or longer for young pilots to finish college or leave the military?

Can this be mitigated with more Loft and OE and safety training? Some of the best training I received over the years were the videos and stories of real world mistakes and accidents. We have systems now for safety and learning like ASAP data that we never had when these age laws were written in the FARs.

I flew for an Airline that gave new Captains 50 cycles of UOE prior to sign off. Not the minimum of 25 hours and under.

OE is a relatively cheap expense and probably some of the most important judgement training for new seat pilots. 25 hours is not a lot time for learning and correction. It is mostly evaluation. Probably more important than 4 years of college for judgement and correcting real world judgement.

I have probably had more problems with older age high time pilots that came from cultures of third world safety than low time US trained young pilots that were open and receptive with the US or European safety culture.
​​​​

bafanguy
15th Apr 2022, 11:07
Can we lower the ages for SIC ATP and or PIC ATP to help with the pilot shortage? Does the industry have time to wait four years or longer for young pilots to finish college or leave the military?​

If by "SIC ATP" you mean restricted ATP, the age is already 21 if a person goes through a college training program. See Part 61.153(a)(2):

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-61#subpart-G

rudestuff
15th Apr 2022, 15:19
Why would you need to 'mitigate' for being under 23? Is there a risk for age? The whole 23 thing is bull****. 18 maybe for CPL. But after that why have a limit? A much better option would be to go for 500 hours multi crew like the real world, after all - an ATP is for commanding a multi crew.